1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Memento: Best movie of 2001?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by SlimShogun, Jun 4, 2002.

1. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] In my opinon, YES!

Holy s***. This movie blew my mind, even though I didn't see it in the theater. The acting, script, and of course incredibly innovative cinematography were all enthralling. For anyone who hasn't seen it...you don't know what you're missing out on.

You need to see this movie, now.

If anyone disagrees, I'd be glad to hear your opinions on Memento or what you think was the best of 2001!

2. the_eleven Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Amazing movie. Not the best of 2001, but it's right up there. Can anyone say Planescape: Torment. I've seen it five times now, and I still think it rocks. I bought the DVD, so there is no doubt that I'll watch it several more times.

joacqin posted ( http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum7/HTML/001546.html ) about this movie a little while back. I'm suprised that there weren't very many responses to joacqin's thread. Memento got a decent amount of hype here in the States, but I don't think it did that well at the box office. Aww well go figure...

[This message has been edited by the_eleven (edited June 04, 2002).]

3. total Guest

It's a good movie, but not the best in the 2001, but it is definitly one of the best. The plot is interesting and the "backward" playing is good idea and gives good way of telling the story.

4. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I loved it....it kept me guessing the whole time :)

5. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] If it wasn't the best of 2001, what was?

6. the god Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] i will never watch memento 'backwards'. sorry total, but that DVD feature is just for retards that still don't understand the plot after the second viewing.

yeh, might've been the best film of 2001.

7. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Have you seen Mulholland Drive yet slim?

8. Mithrandir Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

It was okey.... but IMO Lord of The Rings was a better movie.

9. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Hmmm...I haven't seen Mulholland Drive, but I definitely will from everything I've heard!

10. the_eleven Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Best movie of 2001. The Fellowship of the Ring of course. Despite the fact that it was pretty much butchered and Liv (Arwen) should not have been in the first movie, I still like it enough to say it's the best of 2001 IMHO.

11. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Have you seen Memento? LotR was incredible (IMO), but it can't compare...

12. total Guest

[​IMG] Sorry God but i think you misunderstood me. With "backwards" i meant viewing the movie just as it is! I didnt watch it from the end!

13. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I haven't seen it... though I am sure it can't be better then Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring for me. That's just ebcause I'm a huge Tolkien-freak so that'sa good explanation... Watched the movie 5 times (and 1 time I watched half of the movie).....

Well, I also don't understandwhy LoTR didn't win the Best Movie Oscar

14. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Well just like 2000, 2001 was another year of rather poor movies. I do agree that Memento was a above average movie. I enjoy viewing it and the 'recall' device was a unique theme element. I give it a lot of credit for orginality. But as other have pointed out LotR also came out in 2001 and it was a better overall movie than Memento. Memento was better than all the movie in 2000 in my opinion but also it was release in the same year as one of the best movie of the decade.

15. Invoker Gems: 12/31

I watched this movie after reading this thread and I have to say, I was very impressed. One of the best movies I've watched in a loong time :) IMO, Lotr doesn't even come close :p

16. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] YES, YES, and YES. LotR was great, but relative to Memento...

17. Cullain Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

LOTR was a fantastic movie, it took a story I knew really well and made a superior movie to it.

But Memento took a story I never would have thought about, and made a superior movie with it. So I'd have to go with Memento, though I thought Sexy Beast was up there with those two(if only to see Ghandi kick some tail)

Cullain

18. Frog Gems: 12/31

Veteran

Momento is pretty trippy and makes sense if you watch it carefully. Now Mulholland Drive, WTF IS THAT MOVIE ON??? At one point I couldn't figure out one thing from the next. THAT MOVIE MAKES NO SENSE WHATSOEVER!!!!

19. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

:grin::lol::shake::shake:

It does actually- well to an extent. But it's very good to talk about after seeing, preferably over a pint of drugs (Beer).

20. Invoker Gems: 12/31

Heh I watched Mullholand Drive as well just today. The plot was made all obvious I think but that's David Lynch for you. He likes confusing the hell out of people :bad: Have you seen Lost Highway (again from Lynch) It was even more trippy than Mul. Drive imo :)
    The most normal movie of his that I've seen was Dune which wasn't a spectacular movie by any means :p

In any case, memento imo is better than those two and after all it was just a normal movie :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.