1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Popup trouble (EVERYONE HAVING THEM PLEASE REPLY!)

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Mollusken, Sep 14, 2001.

1. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] The popup now appears/reloads every time I load a board page. :mad:

2. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

[​IMG] I found that if you just ignore it, it stays in the background. But if you close the window, a new one will pop up each time you go to a new page.

3. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] that doesnt happen with me
    guess youre screwed :D

4. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

It has stopped now, but it was very annoying even if it was in the background. I listened to the radio streaming from the internet, and it was lagging each time the popup reloaded :(.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] The pop-up is fixed to show every 12 hours on one IP. Unless you're surfing via some IP-cloaker, or disconnect and connect back for each post there's no way you could have it open on every page.

6. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Tal, this morning it came up every time I hit the "back" button to go from a message to the index, but only if I'd closed the popup window first. I'm using my normal connection from work, so it's nothing to do with that. It had stopped when I came back on at lunch time, so it doesn't really matter (once I found out you could leave them in the background, they didn't get in the way either).

7. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

It works fine for me, I can load/reload as often as I want without getting it.

Once pr day it usually pops up saying hi, something

8. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

It's been a lot of cell-phone ads lately. No matter I let it load, and sometimes even click the link. What the heck. If it helps, than sure thing.

9. Xenecor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] I too am experiencing regular popups everytime I change pages or go back or load a page or post a reply. It's been happening to me for 2 days. I also get script errors when the pop ups open.. but that's just my settings. I wonder why that's happening

10. Llandon Gems: 13/31

Veteran

[​IMG] Damn!

I'm getting it every time too....and it's driving me CRAZY!

I also get an "Internet Explorer Script Error" message each time as well!

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Do all of you have Java and Javascript enabled? Which brower do you use? (version too)

Give me as much info as you can. Also, I'd like anyone who is experiencing trouble with the popups to post here. I need to find out how many of you are having problems with this and why.

12. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I too am experiencing the same problem and yes it's annoying. Once per 12 hrs is ok of course but everytime you reload ?

I have java/java script enabled. You could disable javascript but then again it's not a very good idea.

One thing you can do however, to stop loosing bandwith to the ads is edit the c:bad:windows\hosts file (if you're using windows of course, with *nix it is the /etc/hosts file)

add the line

127.0.0.1 servedby.advertising.com

and then it sould just give you a 404 page. I think =)

13. Myrthos Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

It's like Tal said. The pop-under should appear only once every 12 hours.
    The mechanism behind it is rather simple. When you open a page on the forum it looks up your IP number and the timestamp from the database. This is compared with the current timestamp. If there is no match in IP and/or there is a 12 hour difference a piece of javascript code is inserted, which will load the pop-under.
    Even simple things can go wrong of course, but in my configuration it works (and from Tal I understood it works for him as well).

In order to fix it I would like to know from those with problems, what kind of operating system and browser (type and version) you are using.
    For those with the script errors, I would like to know what the message is which is displayed.

Actually making the pop-under appear on every page, does not generate any extra cash flow. They are counted only once, every so many hours. We do not want to bug you with these ads, but the plain truth is that the internet is not a great place to generate money and the servers we use for RPGDot and hosted sites like Sorcerers Place do cost more than we get from the ads. The difference is paid by the generous people hosting this and other sites ;)
    So frome that perspective we would appreciate it if you would let the pop-unders load completely, as only those will generate any money.

14. Zaragoth Guest

I thas happened to me too. But not everytime.
    It's always some phone thing-popup.
    But it doesn't bother me so much - Just ignore it... It only takes a short min. to close it!

15. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Again, everyone who's having trouble with them please answer our queries. We can't fix it otherwise...

16. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

yeah i don't mind it much either as long as it's helping the site.

it doesn't happen when i used internet explorer just to try. I use Opera.

17. marcantony Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

me too, and when i went to post this reply just now i got hit with 2, both of which turned into 404s

18. Kerric Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Me too. I believe I have Ie 5.5 at this computer. Dont know if it mean anything but i am behind a firewall and are using proxys.
    Im at work :grin:

Edit: To me it happens every time i go back a page. And it is really anoying. Dont take this the wrong way, its still a great site

[This message has been edited by Kerric (edited September 18, 2001).]

19. Turambar Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Haven't been in here for a while now, but this morning when I clicked in to your site I got it at the start page and once more when I opened the boards page. Doesen't really bother me aslong as it helps this site.
    I am currently using IE6.0 and I am using adsl so I have a new IP adress everytime I log on, but this morning I had only been logged on one time so it has nothing to do with that.

EDIT
    I am getting at every new page, just saw it when I tried to post this message, that could be a bother.....:sleep:

[This message has been edited by Turambar (edited September 18, 2001).]

20. eveningdrive Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Yep. Same here. Everytime I enter SP, one is there to greet me. I think I'm using IE 5. Anyway, its not a biggie for me, but I don't think I'm having the same amount of trouble the others are. But if it helps keep this place up, well, small price to pay.

Good luck in fixing it Tal.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.