1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Avooch Dar, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Avooch Dar Guest

Am i the only one on this planet that realises how bad that film is???

.It is dubbed in English when it is obvious that the Characters are speeking English aswell, just at a slightly different speed!

.The fight scenes have no loud noises and give no sense of power. They look like they are not touching each other and it is also quite slow for martial arts.

. the acting is appalling.

.The music is just a bunch people hitting drums and shaking things. Yet the soundtrack won an oscay OVER the brilliant Gladiator.

.The plot is hollow and full of clich'es.

.The way they fly and walk on water is very unrealistic and could be much improved. It is obvious that the whole thing was done with wires as you can see them waddling and balencing themselves!

Does anyone else feel the same way as me???

2. Gwyddyon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Do you have the DVD? If so, I suggest you watch it in the original Mandarin. The words match perfectly, it was NOT originally in English.

If you want explosions, try Predator. The fight scenes were serenely beautiful, meant to illustrate the souls of the characters, not as plot filler.

That's simply not true.

The lack of guitar doesn't mean it's not music...

And this would differ from the average popular movie how? If you want to see good acting, go to a Shakespearean play, not a movie theater.

That was the intent.

3. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Totally agree, with the response that is. CTHD was fanciful and beautiful, not a Bloodsport IV. I thought the choreography was incredible. Its not supposed to be believable, its supposed to inspire fantasy and imagination. I thought the performers were talented, attractive and cool, especially the older lead female. And that sword rocked. Wowowowowo---wowoowow.

4. Elendil Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] I agree too. IMHO the movie is fantastic and it should have won the best movie award. But, since the whole Oscar ceremony has become a sharade, the real quality of the movies doesn't really matter...
    To say that the acting is bad is very naive. You haven't seen the original and you haven't heared the real actors' voices, the pronounciation and so. If you don't know Mandarin you won't understand s*it, but, like I say, it doesn't really matter. The intonation, the expressions...the acting is very good. Especially Michelle Yeoh and Cow Yun-Fat.

5. Avooch Dar Guest

Okay okay so it wasn't that bad!

I did not hate the film that much i just exagerated to see if any one else thought it was not all it was cracked up to be. It is my opinion and after going to yet another film site to find posted as one of the best films ever made i got really cross.
    I retract half my statements.

I spent all those years learning Japanese for nothing!

6. Thalantyr Guest

I never saw the movie but i heard it was very good.

7. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Actually, the movie is bad.

No, I'm not talking about effects, music, camera, locations... All those are perfect.

I'm talking about the story!
    Romance that never gets consumed - tragicomedy that is not tragicomedy.

Pathetic.

NEXT!

8. Tyresian Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

You would have to read the novel to really understand the plot.

The whole walking on water stuff is all part of the myth about kung fu and chi energy.

9. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I completely agree that the story was more or less bland and repetitious. I got sick of the characters, who never change or learn anything. There's no feeling of progress throughout the film with truly one dimensional characters (the good guys are SO GOOD, and the evil lady is VERY EVIL and the snot nosed brat is a SNOT NOSED BRAT)

I thought the action sequences were amazing and beautiful though as well as the soundtrack.

10. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Just my 2c.

I never thought of this film as being a kung-fu film. I don't ever mind the acting - either it is good or bad, I don't care.

For me, it is a philosophycal movie. I don't recall myself being so much astounded and inspired after coming out of the movie theater, which I was after I saw CTHD.

Unlike other movies, there is more stuff going "beneath" the screen, than actually showing on the screen.

That is just my opinion, though.

11. Arkados Blackmire Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

just wondering if u guys have watched any other chinese kungfu movies?
    they usually have cool flying around, swordplay, fight scenes...
    but this one's different. its not meant to show kungfu as a means of injuring.. the fight scenes are done in a slow but smooth manner, somewhat like a dance. its very cool. it is an art, not a fight, between the 2 duelers. and yes, the show is more philosophical than good guys whack bad guys with super cool fight scenes and lots of blood. and yes, u would have to read the novel to truely appreciate the whole story...

12. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Let me start by saying I love movies. I went to the show every week up until this year. The movie out this year and part of last year are completely horrible. CTHD was one of the best film I saw last year. Since it was a foreigon flim it didn't have a chance of winning best picture but it should have. I saw it subtitled, and didn't know they had done an English overlay version except on the DVD.

I can't see what was wrong with the fighting, music, plot, and acting. I suspect you don't watch a lot of Hong Kong films. It was of great quality and better than most flim that have hit the market in the past 12 months.

13. Avooch Dar Guest

Art form!!!!!!!!

Maybe next time someone is fighting to the death we should give them a watercolour challenge!
    Give me a break!
    I have done Judo and Kendo and i have considered it skillfull and fun but the idea is always to beat someone. In kendo i don't show off my skills as much as i can before the other person is too worn out to carry on! I charge in and smack 'em round the head and every strike after that is meant as to hit them or stop them from hitting me!

Kung fu and all other martial sports are fun and skillfull. But in the end it is just a more efficient way of killing someone!

14. Will Gems: 13/31

Veteran

COme now; the simple fact is that all the good stories have been told already. Thus it is the execution that makes a film/book/computer game/whatever good. I liked Crouching Tiger for the fact that it was another culture's take on a classic tale. The martial arts sequences were fun (willing suspension of disbelief, anyone?) and the relationship between Chow Yun Fat and Michelle Yeowah's (sp?) characters was, at times, actually pretty sweet. I doubt it was created with the purpose of being high art and so it should not be evaluated so.

15. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

[​IMG] Zhang Ziyi is fucking hot!!!!! :) :D :) :D :) :D

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited August 23, 2001).]

16. Will Gems: 13/31

Veteran

[​IMG] Yep, she certainly is.

17. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

My experience with the móvie is quite extraordinary. The scene was set with the original chinese/japanese/whatever language, popcorns, sweets, two girls and two boys in a cozy apartment. A bit tipsy, we set off.
    Imediately we started laughing. The person who put danish subnotes on the movie had called a person "jaderæven" could be rougly translated to titty-fox. heh heh. caught in the escalating excitiment, We then started to translate the chinese into daninsh and made our own story. It ended up with C.L.Fat chasing his hat and hunting the titty-fox. One euforiosly happy evening. The movie? "Things to do in the air while running" would be a better title :) but to be honest? our little movie stunt really messed up the story pretty good.

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited August 23, 2001).]

18. H Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

What can i say... Well i liked the choreography...

The movie lacks of story!, a stolen old sword, a little girl who wants to be an adventurer, the romance...

Is that all...

Even the Bruce Lee's Movies had a better story to tell... :D

19. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31

the story sux and those names....... Li mu bau? omg not that they should call him ryu or something :D, it could have been much better, but the story is boring, nice fighting scenes though

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.