1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Games Workshop

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Spudsquisher, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Am I the only one here who plays Games Workshop games?

2. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Nah, a year ago or so, I used to play Warhammer 40k, but no more. I just sort of got bored of it. :)

3. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Nope. I play Warhammer. Very fun. I just dont have them all painted yet:p

4. Luan Guest

[​IMG] They seem to be on a constant downhill. Occasionally picked up WFRP recently, just sad they've gone from a company that actually seemed to have an interest in what they did to one who wanted to make shitloads of money.

And sad that the best thing they did that is still produced is now produced by Hogshead.

5. strange_machine Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I spent alot of money on buying all that warhammer crap and now i dont play it. I bought all WOTC 3e dnd books, and i have no one to play with. Woooooot .

6. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

I play Warhammer as well. High Elves to be exact. Very cool guys, dontcha think?
    much better than the others, excepth they can no more shoot in two ranks :( :sosad:

7. Will Gems: 13/31

Veteran

I used to play Warhammer with an Empire army. I quit about halfway through building an undead army because it was so expensive and people used to get so *ahem* "creative" with the rules. It was kind of fun though; big four way battles ruled (as long as you had the space to play them); one of my best memories was a Skaven grey seer (high level rat-man mage for the uninitiated) teleporting next to my vulnerable artillery/missile contingent only to be run over twice by a steam tank and made into a pincushion by my notoriously jammy halfling archers :D

8. Namuras Gems: 13/31

I played Warhammer: Dark Omen for a while. It's a nice enough game, I think, but I only played through it once.

9. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I like the playing more then the painting part. I have little time and want for the painting but playing I love!

10. Deathmaster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I use to play too, sometimes, have a eldar 40k army and warhammer skaven army. it is a pretty good game. I probably still be playing it, if my friends did.

Thats the most annoying thing about it though, trying to find someone to play.

11. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31

well, even though High Elves have lost the shoot in two ranks special rule, still have the spear-elves fight in 3 ranks. and the new Swordmasters of Hoeth look much nicer than the old ones. same with the RBT

12. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Warhammaer is a very cool fantasy RPG, one of the best. I's a pity, that I haven't got a storyteller for this wonderful game...

13. Khazar Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I used to play Warhammer with an Orc army and a Brettonian army, then 40K with an Ork army and then a Spacemarine army, then I played Gorkamorka with Orcs but now I just play Mordheim with a Brettonian warband and a Reiklander warband. There is just no one to game with anymore and it's got so expensive. Although my mate has bought the LOTR set and we're going to try that out soon I just find it boring when there is no one around to game with so I move on to other things.

14. I've done 40k, Battle fleet gothic and i just got the lotr set, but i only collect for the armies - i've NEVER played a game :o

15. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] I played Warhammer 40k once ... i put up valuable resources to get 3 squads, 1 bike squadron and a librarian. My blokes were pained black with yellow and i called them the Turbulent Marines ... I really enjoyed painting them but only had a vague idea on how to play ... i'd love to take it up again but its a bit of a f*** on your wages ...

16. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I used to play Warhammer with the Empire, and 40K with the Imperial Guard - I was totally obsessed with tanks and cannon. I spent quite a bit of time trying to work out what 2,000 point armies I'd want from the books, but only ever managed to collect about 1,500 points worth. I played a few games, but now I've stopped because all my mates did and there was no-one to play against. I also dabbled in Necromunda (Van Saar gang called "the Technomancers" - cue groans)and Gorkamorka - both a bit of a waste since the people I played against got bored shortly after I started. I never was very good at any of them.

17. Feirhanith Dengeird Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I have a Catachan (imperial guard army) with lots of tanks, elites and many troops of over 2500 points or more, ive been told that i am a very good painter and modeler; but i also kick some major arse in gaming!. i was going to collect battle fleet gothic with a friend, but that withered and died.I also wanted to collect a "dogs of War" mercinary army but decided that i could not afford it as well (i need a job!). i played mordheim with khazar as Skaven first of all but now as Possessed (the models are so cool!). i have recently been given LOTR game and battle at weathertop, but i havent had time to make or paint any of the models yet (LET ALONE PLAY!!). a very worthwhile gaming and modeling experience, i must say.

P.S. i have to agree with Khazar living in the country away from other moderatly talented gamers and over an hour away from the nearest games workshop store really does bite major arse!

[This message has been edited by Feirhanith Dengeird (edited January 28, 2002).]

18. Luan Guest

And a little more on topic, still have a lot of stuff around. As far as I can recall (and all painted, but not very well in most cases)

W40K (2nd) - ~6,000pts Eldar
    Space Marine (2nd) - >20,000pts Chaos
    Blood Bowl (2nd) - Halfling, all four plastic races, plus several odds and ends
    Warhammer (4th) - ~3,000pts Undead
    Man O'War (1st) - ~2,000pts Empire

Think that's it, not a 100% sure about all the editions there.

Space Marine, first I played, when first released, but I feel the 2nd was the peak).

W40K, first boxed edition anyway, perhaps a little oversimplified, but then the original book didn't really have a clue what it wanted to be.

BB, 2nd edition the pick of the bunch. Recall at least one of our group didn't like it due to inflexibility, but was one that didn't sprawl all over the place. Also remember having 2 against 2 at one point, a few injuries that game. And a halfling with a chainsaw :).

Warhammer, never liked it, but then I guess I missed the greatest by a year or two. Never had the box, and really found it quite dull.

Man O'War, an underrated classic. But it never sold many miniatures, poor support as a result and put to one side too quickly.

Also have experience of Heroquest (fun at the time), WFRP (obviously, still my RPG pick), Confronation (and it's inferior update in Necromunda), Horus Heresy (think I may still have that one, never sure about balance), Tyranid Attack (as before), Armageddon (ditto, as Imerial never even found myself having to 'sacfrifice' the first hive), Space Crusade (not impressed, but only brief play time), Space Hulk (again not sure about balance), Dungeonbowl (perhaps obviously even though one of the teams, dwaves/humans, was easily the strongest), and one more I can't remember.

So the last one, I must still have it too somewhere, can anyone remind me. A board game where you layed down tiles to try and get to the centre of a dungeon and pick up treasure before a dragon noticed. Proably late 80's/early 90's and had two expansion sets, a heroes one (which I had, 12 extra lead hero types) and a catacombs one (which I didn't).

Still think GW have done some fantastic games, but in terms of quality feel they've long since lost the way.

19. Deano99 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

well... i am a GW veteran!

i have been playing GW stuff for about 10 years now, and i can tell you i have spent one hell of a lot of money over the years.

i've played stuff like Hero Quest and Space Crusade...

then the original Epic (Space Marine and Titan legions... i wonder how many of you know that eh?)

then moved into 40k and Warhammer... and the 2nd edition of 40k was much better than the way it is now.

and now i play their new LotR stuff...

i also have Necromunda, Man o War... most games you could think of i have played.

call me a GW madman?

yeah you'd be right...

hehe i have :

1000pts of High Elves
    3000pt Tyranid Army
    4000pt (maybe more) of Dark Angels
    Tonnes of LotR stuff
    and boxes of other stuff just lying around.

and the game you are thinking of (the dungeon one) i believe is Dungeon Quest, if my memory serves me correctly.

hehe i am your typical wargaming freak ;)

[This message has been edited by Deano99 (edited January 30, 2002).]

20. Luan Guest

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.