1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How to make a wooden sword?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by DragonRider SkyWard, Jul 3, 2002.

1. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Zarakinthish has made aluminum chain mail?! Maybe Zarakinthish will tell me how to make it?

2. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

DSW (did you know that your name is a shoe store in the US?) ... I think Mr. Made for lovin's comment aluminum chainmail would be classified as a Joke. What sort of knight would want to run around in armor than any orcish frat boy could crush against his forehead?

On the whole theme of your thread ... I know where you are coming from. I've taken fencing, but would really love to learn how to swing a broadsword. In fact, for 12 years in a row I've asked for broad sword or jousting lessons for Christmas (that and a Benedictine monk handbook) all to no avail.

Good luck!

3. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Chainmail, eek. Also kown as how to start cursing profusely within 30 minutes. It's frustrating, especially when you're trying to do 6 in 1 or non standard patterns. Normal is 4 in 1, where each ring goes through 4 other rings. I've made two shirts, a coif, helped make gloves, and did a bikini top. If I never see another steel or brass ring in my life, I don't think I'd mind :lol:

4. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31

You could try using oak to make the swords, but if you do, I don't recommend hitting your opponent unless you genuinely want to kill them. The swords should be able to take a decent beating, and their weight should be close to the weight of a real sword.
    You could also try buying steel swords, there's places you can get them for less than $100 (Canadian), and unless you're sparring in the streets, or when cops are around, you shouldn't get in too much trouble.

5. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31

A shoe store with my name?! Cool.

Well Mathetais, if you ever do get lessions or know where I can get them I'd be happy to know since I live a few doors down from you. Also you might like this site

http://www2.netdoor.com/~malley/Horses.htm

I just might make chain mail for the fun of it.

Is oak easy to work with, carving or cutting?

6. Sol'Kanar Guest

Wildfire fences for the british junior team? What weapon do you use? I was in britain a few months back and I went to a few junior epée tournaments. It'd be interesting if you were in any of them as well. I went to two, one in Blackpool and the other I can't recall exactly where but it was near Scotland. I was the only american at either tournament, though I didn't have it printed on me anywhere.

7. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Not me - when I tried fencing I discovered I wasn't particularly good at it :), but two of my friends do. I don't suppose the names Jonathon Bradley or Tom Milner mean anything to you? They use mainly epée and foil.

[This message has been edited by Wildfire (edited July 10, 2002).]

8. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

DRSW??? You live in Chicago? I always thought you were a Brit. We'll, lets hunt down some urban mercenaries to teach us the tricks of the blade!

9. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31

Mat, I dont live in Chicago, but about an hour away. In South Bend, Northern Indiana. But if I see any then I'll tell ya. And I've got cousions in Chicago so if you find just post or what ever and I can look into it. Vis-a-virsa.

10. Sol'Kanar Guest

Tom Milner, why yes that does indeed ring a bell. What fun. Is he left or right handed? I think I remember him. The name does sound very familiar.

11. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

He's right handed.

12. Sol'Kanar Guest

I definately did fence him. I asked my dad, who was also there at the tournament, and he remembers the name as well. That's pretty cool.

13. Kill_Lexington Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I have wanted to learn about weapons since i was little so when i was a little older my father offered to train me in Martial Arts but he also offered to train me in certain weapons such as staffs katanas and various swords it's really easy to learn just practice basics learn to be as good with one hand as you are with your other keep that balance beaus it will help you later on. As for making a sword you take a piece of wood i find that pine wood works well because it is lightweight and doesn't brake as fast as others since it's not as dry as other,you take a knife and start striping the bark off the pine once you did that you take and axe and cut the piece to your size(depending on what you want to train two-handed is larger one-handed is smaller) then you start from the tip and keep going up forging the blade stop when it's long enough.
    Also use a picture to get a feel on how it should look like hope it helps. After that you just practice un till your sweating like a pig for 3 years or so and you will eventually become a blade master.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.