1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kivan or Coran?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Nedra, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Nedra Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I have Kivan at the moment but met Coran a couple of days back (just started chapter 5) and was wondering if I should have him instead. What are the cons and pros of each? :o

2. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Kivan
    ====
    Pros: Good strength (18/12), decent dex (17), favored enemy (ogres), can get early, great archer

Cons: Low constitution (14)

Coran
    ====
    Pros: Great dex (20), okay strength (14), thieving abilities, great archer

Cons: Low con (12), can't get him until chapter 5

IMO, I take Kivan over Coran because I usually have Imoen or myself as my party's thief. I don't like wasting XP on characters I will dump, so I like to plan my party and keep who I need.

3. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

I just like Coran because he's more adventurous! Well, that and I think he's a great theif. I usually play as an evil party and i won't take Kivan. I was wondering, what ever happens when you get to meet Tazok at the bandit camp? Does Kivan go crazy and exact revenge or what?

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    From my Boo post:

Coran also has better lines.

SC: I was disappointed -- Kiven did nothing. He didn't even have any lines.

5. Schaf Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

i'd keep 'em both. archers rule in bg1, and those two are the best you can get.
    jaheira is not that essential if you are a cleric (read: healer) yourself. dump her and let coran join you.

6. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

ditto kuemper and Schaf. When I take both, I leave a spot completely empty for Coran, and the rest get more XP apiece because of it. Coran (like any proper F/T) is great for backstab-run-shoot, and Kivan is a truly awesome archer who can melee in an instant if need be. You could even make a pretty sweet duo out of the two of them:

</font>
    1. Coran backstabs and runs
    2. Kivan shoots at the enemy while Coran retreats past Kivan
    3. Once Kivan is between the enemy and Coran, Coran turns and starts shooting too
    4. Kivan meets the enemy in melee once it reaches him, and Coran just keeps shooting
    Half the time you won't even make it to step 3. :evil: Dump the druid and take the thief.

But if you're determined to take one over the other, I'd say Kivan for the XP you've already given him. Plus if you have to retreat from the Cloakwood for some reason, Kivan won't leave but Coran might if you take too long to kill his wyverns.

7. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

If you want a thief, take Coran, if you just want an archer, I suggest Kivan since he's tougher too.

8. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I play with Tutu, and both Kivan and Coran are great with that. I give Kivan the Archer kit. His called shots and high mastery in bows complement Coran's 20 Dexterity well, especially considering there are several good longbows going around. I also use the Banter Pack from Gibberlings Three, and I'm pleased with the characterization of both of them.

The one annoying thing is that somewhere in the conversion process, Coran's melee weapon proficiency changed to two-handed swords. Minsc and Ajantis both have proficiencies in two-handed swords as well and there's just not very many of those. But I can always use Shadow Keeper.

9. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Kivan + Coran = core of most of my teams. Always liked those two. And my most played main character is elf archer ;) so i had a VERY good artillery. Coran is also good fo doing thivery while imoen dualclasses to wizard. She usually levels up at teh same time i find him anyways.

10. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I'd just like to add that IMHO the two of these guys are undoubtedly the most powerful NPCs in BGI. The only more powerful PC would be an Elven Fighter with a 19 DEX and 17 CON.

Again, IMHO.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.