1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best Obscure Bands

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Aikanaro, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

@ Xei Win Toh
    What has happened to Sinergy? No news from them anywhere. Have they broken up?

2. metal leper Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Sinergy are fantastic! I like them much more than CoB

What have the other member of the band done? I know that Alexi is in CoB, and isn't the singer his wife?

3. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

@Tassadar: Last I saw the website up, which was months ago, I read that they were working on a new album. Other than that, no idea.

@metal leper: Yes, Kim and Alexi are married.

Here is a page I found with all current and previous members and their bands (other than it's a little dated, since they now have Lauri Porra (no idea what he's done before, but he's good) on bass.

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Riverdance and Dune, probably. Not like they're so unknown.

5. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Although Ragusa did a good job above, I can add a few german bands:

Letzte Instanz: Medieval Rock/Metal. Very similar to Subway to Sally. Last year's album is a bit new-metalish, but surprisingly good. The old stuff sounds a bit uninspired.

Mia: From Berlin. Punk/New Wave with rather complicated german/english lyrics.

Deadline: Mainstream Rock, sound a bit toolish.

Haggard: A crossover between black metal and classical music. Although I don't like growlers, this band is one of my favs. Beautiful melodies.

Afro Celt Sound System: Actually not from Germany. Ever heard celtic music with african rhythms? No? Try it. It will make you legs moving automatically.

One thing to add about Max Raabe: Look for his cover versions of 'Tainted Love' and 'We are the champions'. Quite funny.

6. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    If you're into REM and/or 10,000 Maniacs, this is a band that you might like. They didn't last all that long (broke up about 10 years ago, IIRC), but they had a nice sound and the female lead has a haunting voice that reminds me of Natalie Merchant (not so much for range/beauty but for tonal quality)

http://www.downymildew.com/

7. RuneQuester Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

When I decided to quit my own band(I Defy...local punk outift) I stopped listening to music altogether with teh exception of Ministry, Misfits, and David Bowie so I wouldn't know obscure now from Britiny Spears!
    Up until that point I used to listen to everything from Deicide to Cream. The progressive grindcore/doomcore/death metal stuff(Carcass, Godflesh, Malevolent Creation etc.) was always good as it was the last bastion of non-commercial music(except for G.G. Allin) to be had.

My favorite band will always be Minsitry though. Filthpig is probably the most overlooked, underated masterpieces in the history of rock and roll!

Consolidated were great also. Much better than Rage Against the Machine for the political "rap and roll" thing.

8. Darhken Rahl Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Scarecrow Hill...Think..Korn lyrics with the guitar from ozzy/iron maiden ;)

9. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Butthole Locust
    Mustard Plug
    Mephiskapheles
    Alkaline Trio
    Butt Trumpet

10. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Chrome Locust - Obscure except one song "New World Disorder". Heavy hitting, chills-down-your-back rock. Guitar licks which all include open E.

Amon Tobin - Beat mixer from Montreal. Asian influences.

Lard - Jello Biafra from Dead Kennedys made this around 1992 or something. Long songs with exceptional lyrics like "every time I take a crap, it's a cosmic expierience." :D

Death Rabbit... Mustard Plug is from Hopeless Records right? And Alkaline Trio? They're pretty mainstream now aren't they?

11. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Kemuri
    King Prawn
    Streetlight Manifesto
    The Caesars
    The Fat Cats

12. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    John Valby.

Sorry I'm in a zany mood.

13. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

One that I guarantee no one will have heard...

Cam Penner and the Gravel Road - acoustic folk from Calgary. Friends of my family.

14. Telcontar Gems: 3/31

Well i dont really know how many of you knows for these bands, I now they are popular among metal fans in Europe.. they are not underground anyways...
    Nightwish, Children of Bodom, Sonata Arctica, Lake of Tears, Kamelot (its from USA :D ), Lost Horizon, Interfector ( Band from Republika Srpska :D :) )....

P.S.Marco Hietala from Nightwish has played in Sinergy...

15. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Some of my friends are playing in a band quite famous here in Zwijndrecht. It's called Wyatt and tomorrow I'm going to see them on stage.
    Musicmagazin 'Oor' described them as a nice mixture of Counting Crows, Crowded House and R.E.M.

And guess what? Today's the release of their new album.

Wyatt

16. Yerril Gems: 22/31

Rufus Wainwright - I dunno about over there in Obesity Land, but on our side of the pond, I have yet to meet a person who has heard of him.

17. Varied Sundries Gems: 3/31

Besides Wainwright here, I haven't heard of a single ONE of these... good job, folks.

The Weakerthans
    The Wrens
    Harvey Danger
    Jason Webley
    Lawnmowers
    MC Paul Barman

18. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Son of Loudon? I like him! Though I don't have a single album of him (yet). One of his songs is in the movie 'Moulin Rouge' and some of my friends have some good stuff of this guy. When I get some more money, I'll probably buy some of his works.
    Somehow he makes me think of Jeff Buckley

19. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    The Comsat Angels - One of the really tight gothic bands of the 80s. They tried to break into the mainstream for years, but never could catch on here in the US. They sometimes went by the C. S. Angels because the Commmunication Satellite Corp. was always threatening to sue them. But I heard they did OK in Europe. Most of their really good stuff is out of print now, but can be found on Ebay.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.