1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

easy money

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by tipperon, Oct 7, 2005.

1. tipperon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

ok here it is: when i first started playing bg i was always astounded by the high cost of stuff. 30000gp for mage robes of the archmagi seemed to high to even achieve. I had no idea how wrong i was.
    now i just sell every item i can, even if they are things i despertly need. Then i just steal them back and there you have it, easy money.but why was it made so simple? did black isle think about this loophole?

2. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

They leave it to the player's discretion. How many times do you reload due to failed thieving attempts? If your thief is so good that pickpocket (theft) is usually successful, then you deserve the items. If the storekeeper notices it and you don't want Flamingses, you reload which is unrealistic. (In the real life there is no reload.)

3. Camthalion Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Man ive been playing a few days now and I cant get over how much you need to scrimp and save to upgrade equipment...this is the way things should be. Just got my first set of plate mail...and had just enough to buy one set for my main character.

I spose it may be the way you look at it though...the places ive been so far are suffering economically from the tainted ore in Nashkel. However I like how the most powerfull magical item I have is like...a helm of infravision. Vs NWN where your getting into weapons with attack bonuses after 20 minutes of playing.

4. Baronius

BG2 is such horrible as well. I don't care when its fans say that 'you are more powerful in BG2 and thus collect more powerful items from tougher opponents' etc., it is still stupidity and nonsense. (E.g. in Saradush you can collect tons of +3 items and then can sell them for hundreds of thousands of gold etc. etc. I had more than 600 000 gp at the end of Throne of Bhaal if I remember correctly)

BG1's solution is the best in this respect (too) i.e. realistic and balanced wealth.

Have fun!

5. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

To me a previous DM when I first started playing BG1 I was impressed with it. I soon got bored because how quickly Magical Weapons could be acquired within the game. I than heard about BG2 and found that game even more disgusting than the first. After not playing D&D for more than 5 years and not playing either BG games for about 4 years it doesn't bother me as much.

To me both games tend to give out way to many magical items to early. In fact some of the items seen in BG1 should be rare items in BG2. That alone tells me how unbalanced the BG series is compared to the standard PnP game. At the same time I know that it would be a hard sell if BG series didn't have all the magical weapons and items. After all one of the greatest parts of the game is having all this power from all these items and knowing how and when to use them.

6. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Guys, this is the Forgotten Realms setting. In FR, even in P&P D&D there are too many magical items.

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

:whoa: There can't be too many! I have yet to find a +3 katana of speed for my twink PC. :p

I enjoy have all those magical items. I worked hard to get as tough as I am and I feel I've delved into killing enemies that have magical stuff. Give a break to the gamer who likes easy loot.

8. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Agreed with Abdel, this was one of my initial problems with DMing as well, that all my players had played Bg1, and expected more magic items, and keep getting disapointed every time becose i was "stingy" :)

Try look into: The Fields of the Dead

It did promise less magic items allaround, and even placing most of the items in new palces, so you dont know where to find them.

9. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I never had any problems with cash in BG2. Kill few guys in Delosar's Inn and you get 3/4 Full Plate Mails worth 1800GP each, go graverobbing, do Mae'Var's quest (very easy one).
    Get high rep (donations)
    and the prices are reduced by 50% In first 2 hours of playing I have enough gold to buy everything I need, including all those scrolls. And I don't need to steal :D

10. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Raptor my problem is different than yours. See I was a DM about 3 years before BG came out. And when I finally did play it I hated that it had all these magical items right off the bat. It made me question my DMing. But after a while and reading various quest I noted that BG had to give magical items like it does to keep the gamers intereted. Not only that but it isn't totally over powered. In my games of FR and Greyhawk my PC who happened to obtain a +2 magical items were lucky and in fact that item had additional enchantments beyond +2, which is why they were rare in the games I DM.

One of the most powerful items I ever let out as a DM was the Holy Avenger +2. That was the most powerful weapon. And the person playing that Paladin didn't abuse his powers or the weapon and that was the reason why I allowed him that weapon. But other members within the group would of very easily abused it.
    Example: His character prefered Warhammers and would use them unless faced with a very powerful foe, High Level Magic-Users (Level 10+), Dragons, etc... Most of the time his holy sword was more for show and he was a champion among his peers, etc...
    I miss having a group together and play D&D.

11. Baronius

Well, in a CRPG they don't have to be so loyal to rules in every respect. They are differences anyway, so in their place I would have added less magical items. However, in BG1 everything was fine, there weren't too many magical items. Their number was appropriate. If there had been more, then there would have been too many magical items indeed. :)

12. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

If you stuff up a game with monsters who require magical weapons to take damage, you have to place a lot of magical weapons.

If BG2 wouldn't have the "summons can hit everything" bug many would cry for even more magical weapons in this game.

13. spooky Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

sold 500 arrows of detonation for 75000 Gp. No cash problem ever after. ;)

14. starwalker Gems: 16/31

I don't know. Maybe it's the way I did things but honestly until I found all the magic items. I had to build up and scrimp and the magic items came later in BG for me.

And I've still sacrificed more than 75k paying for stealing in Candle Keep when you return. You get a lot of money without stealing things back. It's just not all at the beginning of the game. Nor should it be considering things like Robes of the Arch Magi are the best thing you can put on spell casters.

BG2 I find is way easier on the money easily. Granted they have more that eats the money quickly. Specially if your obsessed with having some of the better items in it as early as you can get them. That makes the other magic items basically all out useless and you end up with a lot more magic items you just sell and throw away and you get a lot more of the "oh just another magic item I don't need. I'll leave it laying here because my characters are too full from everything else I have to sell anyway."

It's really in how you play in all honesty.

15. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

@ Camthalion

Item spoils!!!!

You only 'need' to buy the following in terms of weapons and armor:

Beregost:
    +1 axe (if you have Kagain or PC uses axes, no enemy or chest has one until later in the game).
    +1 composite bow (wait till later in the game when gold is plentiful and your fame is better)

+1 short bow (cheap)
    +1 sling (cheap, if you need more, one is in a chest in Gullykin and tons are for sale in the big city in chapter 5. No enemy has one.).

+3 studded leather and the +2 dagger of venom
    These are two expensive items. No way to avoid these but wait till later when gold is plentiful and your fame is high.

Full Plate maybe. You get one free in chapter 3 so unless you need two don't waist your dough. One super low AC front line fighter is all I ever needed. Even if you have two fighters, one can wear some nice +1 splint or +1 plate you find later for free and save some weight for carrying items.
    =======

You'll need some gold for the robe of the archmage if you are good in High Hedge. You get a free neutral one in TotSC if you battle the mage in Ulgoth's Beard. And the evil one is free too in chapter four.
    ========

You get +1's of all other weapons and armors for free if you loot carefully and collect everything from the fights. Don't waste money save gold for spell scrolls and recharging wands.

If you need a certain weapon just ask and I can tell where to look.

The armors will come to you in time and there is no rush since these don't break on you like the weapons.

16. raptor Gems: 16/31

Also remember the Ankheg mail in Nashkel, and ability to make more in Beregost, very nice starting armor (especially since you dont need all the ring of protection savingthrow bonuses early in the game).

17. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Well, not all of the best items can be found in shops, some major quests like Durlag's tower contain some extreme good items, so you don't have to rely on shops only.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.