1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

When did you learn to use computers?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Arabwel, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    This just popped into my mind the other day when I was reminescing about my childhood... How old were you when you first learned to use a computer?

I personally learned to use (i.e. play games with) my sister's Commodore 128 when I was 4. That wass before I coulfd learn to drive a bike! And I learned how to use a PC when I went to school, arounnd the age of 7.

So, what about you?

Ara
    (*Insert random quote concerning Hippies*)

2. Christopher_Lee Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I used to have a spectrum, with rubbery keys. All I could do on it was play "Horace and the Spiders" though.

Learnt at school with dodgy Macintoshs mostly I suppose. We used to get them to talk and insult the computing teachers... :)

3. PowerPuff Guest

I used to "->L" away on a Commodore 64 a long time ago. (I must have been 8 or 10 or something) Never really understood what the "turbotape" was for, though. (One of those fundamental truths in life; *always* run "turbotape", and thou shalt never stray from the light ;) ).

[EDIT:] Still learning the importance of smilies...

[This message has been edited by PowerPuff (edited April 17, 2002).]

4. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I used to program games with basic on my C64 when I was around 9. I still have my program codes and books etc to this day :)

Something of note however is, although everyone (including children) can operate a windows os, many don't know what the heck is going on :p

5. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

My history is like Pseudo Mage's.

Only I pretty early left basic to rot and started to (ab)use raster from within IRQ sequences. And yes, my C64 is still working! ;)

btw Pseudo, I might try to move some of my assembler works on PC emulators, wanna see 'em? ;)

6. jesper898 Guest

i started playing commodore 64 when i was 6years old(im 14 now)

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I never really learnt to use computers, I know the basics but thats it. My first puter was a commodore wannabe that I never learnt how to use. Only time I used it was when my uncle started it for me :)

8. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

My first experience with computers was in High School. We had a mini computer with displayless terminals (everything was on paper) that used paper tape as the storage medium. You would type in a program, in Basic for instance, and the terminal would produce the output on a roll of paper. If you wanted to save your program, the terminal would output a punched paper tape that could be reinserted and rerun later.
    The next year, we got TRS-80's. These were much better. You could use 5 1/4" floppy disks, run DOS, and play games on the monochrome monitor. 64K of RAM! We were unstoppable! ;)

9. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I first started using computers when i was tiny ... younger than 5 i know that. I mean my first computer was some amstrad and i remember playing this game called 'Battlefield Germany' ... anyone heard of it?

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I sold the Amstrad CPC I had in the attic last year. It still worked perfectly, but really, it belongs to a museum.

I still have two ZX Spectrums + (with an almost good keyboard AND the reset key!). The space bar on one is busted.

The other one is in pefect condition. Haven't played anything on it in ages though. I still have over 200 tapes full of games though. :D
    Back then they were airing games over radio every week, so amassing a big collection was not a problem. Ah, the golden days of Yugoslavia's copyright (what copyright?) policy. :p

My cousin accross the street had a Commodore 64 so we played all of those games there. I never bought my own Commodore.

Then came the PC... First game I ever run was Alley Cat I think. Heh, I gave it to my kid nephews to play a couple of weeks ago and they still loved it!

As for when did I start using computers... When I was about 7 or 8 years old I think.

11. frobo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

our first computer was a 486 and we got it when i was...about 6 i think...it was alright, we still have it in the basement, its waiting for me to ressurect it sometime, maybe into a server of some kind...
    -CJ

12. Corilathi Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

My mother brought home a Tandy Computer, and I spent hours playing "Bounce a Baby".

13. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I used to play with BBC Micros (I used to write crappy little Q&A programmes in BASIC and play Repton :alien: ) and my Grandad's Amstrad CPC when I was a little kid (really little; before I even went to school, I think). Then came the Amiga 500+ and finally the PC.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited April 18, 2002).]

14. sorvo Guest

I had a class in high school with Cobal and Pascal. Now I can type just a little faster:(

15. C'Jakob Guest

My parents bought a computer for some reason when I was 9 or so, and I just started using it. I pretty much learned most things myself, although I did take a computer class, but it taught few things. I still have a long way to go before I learn programming and all that. Still. . . I can type pretty darn fast. ;)

16. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Extremist yeah I've learned machine code on C64 but it took a lot of time, so didn't get into it much. Sure it'd be interesting :)

17. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Waay back on my daddy's knee when he got his TRS-80. Green screen, black text. I used to do a typing program on it, this sarcastic computer psychologist thing called Eliza, and Space Invaders. I must've been four or five at the time.

18. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] My parents bought me and my brother an Apple computer when I was 6 years old. I haven't stopped using them since.

19. TheBlackRose Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

3rd, 4th grade.

20. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] When i was 8 years old i went round a friends house and played on his computer after school. I spent most of my after-school time round his house for a year and a half before i convinced my parents to buy me a computer of my own. Since then i have got better and don't find many common computer problems that bugger my system up that i can't fix.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.