1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Are boy bands really bands?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Jaguar, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Anyone with a television can see the amount of fans that your average boy band has. But putting that aside, are they really even bands. They play no insruments, but they do sing. Post your vote.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 36 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Are boy bands really bands? (36 votes.)

Are boy bands really bands? (Choose 1)
    * Yes, they are bands - 14% (5)
    * No, they are not bands - 86% (31)

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I think not. A group really needs instruments to be a band. They're closer to a choir on crack. (Dig the alliteration)

3. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I also don't think they should be called 'bands'. A band means that everyone involved gets the same recognition as the next person. Sure the lead singer will get the most camera-time but thats to be expected.

Some examples of 'bands' are U2, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park (urgh), Coldplay, Pacifier and Matchbox 20.

4. Baldrak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I only consider a band a band when the members play their own music.... I don't know what to call a band not to be considered a band :confused:

5. notforyou Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I think a lot of popular bands in the past had not made their own music. I don't think someone wouldn't call The Monkees a band, for example.
    but IMHO all those boy bands are bands, just ones who "make" awful "music".

6. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Yes, they are bands.

The mindless junk the boy-band industry creates every year is just as mindless to the rest of the junk created by the music industry.

Examples: Britney Spears, Slip-Knot, Metallica, Eninem, etc...

7. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

What sets them apart from those other bands mentioned, Metallica actually used to make good music.

I mean, before they sold out.

8. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

The voice is an instrument. Singing does require practice, just like playing a guitar or a viola does. If you say boy bands aren't bands, then you might as well argue that the guy in the "real" band only doing vocals isn't actually part of the band.

It sounds like boy bands (or other pop music musicians) are simply deprived of the term "band" because a lot of people just don't like them (or their image, really).

And by the way, since when do you have to play your own music to be a band? Does this mean that all the people playing the trombone, clarinet, and timpani suddenly aren't in a band?

9. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

No, thats like saying the WWF is a sport. It's mindless entertainment.

The pop groups like that wouldn't be so annoying if they admitted that they didn't write their songs, or haven't been together since like the 8th grade. Just be honest.

10. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31

[​IMG] Most music falls into the mindless entertainment category too.

Compare any classical or modern instrumental music piece to a modern rock song. Its like comparing Big Ben to a sundial!

11. Smoothbrain Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I voted yes simply because although these bands are obviously "made" bands so are a whole lot of hardcore rock bands. In addition most bands give into lower quality as they become popular, letting technicians make their music for them So are they a band sure but does being a band mean anything today, probably not

12. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

*Compares*

*Fails to see Blackhawk's point*

I wouldn't say that the voice is an instrument. An instrument is more of a tool, voice is an ability.

13. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    One word. Manufactured.

14. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Careful Blackhawk. Remember: *******s are like opinions, everyone has one and they all stink.

I guess calling 'boy bands' boy bands is just to save time, rather than calling them 'a group of boy singers who call themselves a collective name'. Robbie Williams is a 'singer' or 'artist', as is Kylie, Christina, Ronan Keating, Eminem (or 'rapper'), Sting and Meatloaf. You have to remember that their music is often not composed by them.

Then again should we really care? These bands, artists, singers and musicians all serve the same purposue. If their music (or whatever you want to call it - I don't think it matters) sounds good why care about the 'definition' of the 'group' or 'individual'? Sure, you might think that one 'band' sounds crap, and thats completely in your right to judge them so, however, remember that someone else out there might like their music/work and finds the music you like to be garbage - frankly nobody gives a damn.

15. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I haven't actually spent a lot of thought on this topic really, simply for the fact that while they may release an entertaining song or two, I feel that boy-bands are an endless waste of any iota of talent that may be put to better use cleaning toilets. With their tongues. But seriously, I'm of the thinking that since no instruments at all are played by members (to me also, voice is not an instrument but an ability - is dextrous ability an instrument? After all, working with your hands requires practice regardless of what you work with be it a piano or a bench grinder) then that makes them a group of singers rather than a band. Further to this, is a group like a barbershop quartet a band?

16. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

if your saying that their music isnt composed by them then take off meatloaf, they made their own music.

17. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Wow, I know Meatloaf is pretty damm chunky (ok fat lol) but I didn't know he'd actually devloped into a plural pronoun.

18. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31

19. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

As much as I hate to admit it,yes these guys are bands.I think you guys would be suprised at how much material some of these guys write.N-Sync(shudders)for exapmle wrote almost all the material on there final couple of albums.

If you only look at if they write there own songs,many bands would have to be taken off the list,some off the top of head include Areosmith(they no longer write there own songs) Ozzy,and The Monkees.

I also think the voice is an instrument.As anyone who sings can tell you,the voice takes work and practice as well.You have to spend a lot of time to learn to control your pitch and voicings.

So reluctantly I must admit these guys should be called "bands".

20. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I wouldn't call them a "band" because they didn't start out wanting to make music. They got into the business (that's all it is to them) because they wanted to be famous and get laid all the time (without anyone knowing, of course, because they're "nice").

A lot of rock stars did it for that reason too (I'm thinking AC/DC), but I wouldn't call them a "band" either. IMO, a band is someone who wants to make a difference with their tunes or just like to play music (e.g. Propaghandi, Bad Religion, pretty much anyone who isn't huge :D )

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.