1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

LoTR *many spoilers*

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by gollum, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I don't know why they've made the changes, but I thought that they were good. At least the first two you mentioned (hey, I even named one of them my favourite scene ;)).
    The third (Frodo asking what 'friend' is in Elvish), I think, didn't make it better, but nor did it make it worse, so it doesn't matter.

A note though, since Frodo knows a little Elvish, wouldn't it seem logical that he already knew that word?

2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Frodo did not say Mellon, he only figured out the riddle. He asked Gandalf for the elvish word for "friend". I think maybe the director wanted us to think back to "The Hobbit", with hobbits and riddles. At least I thought of that, and it seemed fair enough for me that Frodo figured it out.

3. Xenecor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The only reason why things were changed, is because if they made the movie into a direct translation of the book, the movie would have been entirely too long... and might have seemed a bit slow going on screen. This movie has to appeal to everyone, not just those who have read the books and are familiar with Tolkien. I went into the movie assuming that there would be certain changes made in order to keep a smooth flow of the movie. Only most of us here who have read the books and would have preferred a direct translation, would not constitute the "majority" of the public the filmmakers hoped would view it as well. They need to appeal to everyone... not just us (besides.. I'm sure they figured the Tolkien fans would show up anyway :D).

[This message has been edited by Xenecor (edited December 23, 2001).]

4. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Well, yes, but we were talking about changes that didn't make the film shorter, or even added to its length. ;)

But again, I think they were very well made.

And Mollusken, didn't I say so? ;)

Oh, and yes, I would've preferred the film to stay true to the book, but don't really care, since they did a marvellous job as it is...

5. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Some of the changes, like the Moria staircase scene, were likely introduced to better utilize the potential of the movie genre. Its relatively easy in a book to create dramatic tension in 'low action' scenes, but much harder in a movie. Whereas scenes like the bridge collapse are much better in movies than in books, generally.

As for Frodo figuring out the riddle instead of Gandalf, I think they are just trying to build up a sense of Frodo's competence. The same thing with Frodo making the call to go to Moria. In the book, it was Aragorn and Gandalf. Much of the planning/leadership role Frodo plays in the Fellowship book occurred in scenes that got dropped. It helps explain why Frodo is trusted with the responsibility, when otherwise all he does is get hurt alot. :)

The Frodo farewell to Aragorn does take some of the dramatic tension out of Aragorn's choice at the end of the fellowship. However, it does get the main purpose of the scene across: shows Aragorn is not weak like Boromir/Isildur and sets up the pursuit of the Orcs. I suspect the main reason for the change is to avoid having the movie end in a 'downer'.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

6. OMG!!! I saw the movie yesterday night!!!
    It was really good!!! If you don't count the lesser major parts in the book that is.
    But omg, Legolas is sooo hot!!!!! ;) :grin: :love:
    The most scariest part in the movie was when Biblo wanted to touch the ring again in Elrond's castle. All in all, the movie was a bit too... dramatic.

7. gollum Banned

Shadow_Goddess now he has a mohalk thing

Merry and Eowyn both killed. no I in team

8. Deimos Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

If they'd just translated the book to a film, it would not have made as much money, mainly because:

1) As Xenecor said, it would have been way too long- I loved the film but three hours sitting on a cinema seat:(

2) It would appeal to a smaller range of people- things like the Uruk-Hai leader and Boromir's more dramatic death don't happen in the book, but they make the film more enjoyable and exciting. There was also less singing, as although it helped the book along it would have detracted from the film a bit.

Anyway, just take the film for what it is: absolutely amazing filming, awesome special effects & stunning cast that weren't all American. And don't forget that before Peter Jackson, no one dared to make a live-action version in fear that people woul point out the mistakes and it would flop at the big screen...
    I was pleased to see that all the characters were done as I'd pictured them- especially Legolas and his proficiency with the bow :)

--------

If you want to pick at all the bits that weren't the same as the book, look for Boromir's death in The Fellowship of the Ring. It actaully comes up in chapter 2 of the Two Towers, at least in my version...

9. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] To expand on what Vormaerin said about Frodo leaving at the end of the movie, it was a presentation issue. In the books Frodo 'thinking' about why he must leave. Remember the hold bit about him sitting in the seat on Amon-Han (sp?) with the ring on looing all around. All the thoughts in the book need to be expressed so the viewer of the movie could understand what was going on. In order to do this without a huge monolog, Peter Jackson had Frodo express his feelings out loud to another character. Mind you in like the way it happends in the book better but I understand why they did what they did in the movie version. It was a tool to move to the story ahead.

10. In chapter 2 of the Two Towers? Did somebody get a brainwash?

11. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Ezellohar, what are you talking about? "The Departure of Boromir" is actually Chapter 1 of the Two Towers, but the point is still valid (that they divided the books differently in the movie). Who are you insulting with the brainwash comment anyway? The movie maker (for breaking the film differently; which I think was was given the time delay between each movie) or the poster? If the latter, there is no cause for that even if he was completely wrong, which he's not.

ALoha
    Vormaerin

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.