1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Sharp, pointy objects topic

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Arabwel, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    This is the topic for all us who own and obsess over all kinds of sharp objects to talk about our blades. I have recently joined the ranks of "Peole who own swords", even though I must admit that my sword has been adapted to theatre use and is no longer a sharp object... :( It is still pointy.

Wildfire has graciously uploaded a few pics of my sword here: http://www25.brinkster.com/eridain/ara/swords.htm

The sword's original blade has been removed, and the hilt has been attached to its scabbard to form a sword suitable for theaterical use. This makes it perfect fr me to use with costumes and while live-action RPG:ing (no sharp swords allowed there...)

It is from the early 20th, late 19th centuiray and of Russian origin. The sword weights 1,9 kg/4.22 lbs and is in entirety 89 cm/35 inches in length. The blade is 71 cm/ 28 inches.

YOu know, I have gotten so attached to my sword that I keep it by my side at all times when it is possible? It's right next to me as I write this... *pats her sword reassuringly*

I am planning on naming my sword when I know him better... Yes, I think my sword as a he, for some reason.

My other favourite sharp object, of which I have no piccies, is my throwing knife :) I don't have any specifics on it, except for that it's new, it's black and it's cool :)

(THe pointed object obsessor)

2. GreyCrow Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] I have a Long Sword, for almost four years now. Got it around Sixteen years old. I have not named it, not even sure what gender yet. It is called StarGate. It is not battle ready, though I'm sure it could do some damage, and is not full tang, though I'm sure it would last in a skirmish. I gots to have faith in my Third Arm.
    The blade is simple enough. The hilt and handle are one piece, a bronze color. It kind of has an egyptian motif. I like it.
    When I got it , I knew it was just my first, although I thought I would have an armory by now, bills alwys get in the way of asperations.
    As for where do I keep it, that depends on where I am. If traveling, in my 81 VW vanagon of course course. If at home, sometimes leaning against a couch, in its leather sheath. Mostly though I keep it between the mattresses of my bed. Yes even by myside or sometimes held in my Left hand while I sleep. What can I say I've grown attached to, I guess him. I think of him as a fellow adventurer, like a Singing Sword, just not as annoying. :D

3. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Ara, this is just my opinon.

I think you should get the nicks out of the blade so it looks clean. You'd have to grind it in a little, and then "sharpen" it just enough to where it still forms a blade, but it's blunt at the end. You can "round" it over to make it blunt.

But the nicks would be out. And it would be quite a bit prettier.

4. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I have:

Ornamental long sword
    Blunt. Good for muscle-building. :p Makes a cool noise when drawn from the sheath.

Ornamental Waraxe
    Blunt. Incredibly heavy, but good for swinging wildly and carving up snowmen. Double-headed.

Slingshot
    Barnett Cobra. Cool as a platinum ass. I have visions of my teeth being blasted by a ball-bearing fired from this beast. Ouch.

Bo
    Japanese quarterstaff. Quite heavy, but makes a terrific sound when it makes contact with someone's head. :D

Dagger
    Ornamental Spanish curved knife. Sweet size for pocket-carryin'.

Mini katana and mini longsword
    The ones I cut my finger on. Good for dual-wielding practice.

Katana
    Sharp. Shredded up my duvet. Cleaved a bottletop in one stroke. Aww yeah...

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Good we have such a topic. I've already described my Elven Lady in 'Random Babbling' and I don't want to repeat myself. Anyway, 1H longsword, 1m, thin, close to rapier a bit.

6. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

I have a roman style long\short sword, it can be used for stabbing which would inflict damage for it is quite sharp. The edges aren't BTW

I am looking for cool bow but can't seem to find any, just an old long bow.

7. Ulicus Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

"I have a roman style long\short sword"

Ohhhhhh is it a gladius?

I have a plastic sword from EuroDisney

8. Shura Gems: 25/31

[​IMG] A wooden katana and a wakizashi.

I'm not ambidextrous, hence no dual wielding for me. :(

More comfortable with my fists and feet.

9. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I used to have a large collection of fencing epees, but now I'm down to two sabres and a foil. They do come in handy when expediting action around the office! I have a 19th-century court sword - basically a small rapier with a hinged guard, so it sits nicely on your hip - hanging on the wall, but these days my closest contact with swords are the ones used to impale olives in a martini.

10. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I open beer with mine :D Especially when my mother is having guests from more distant family or friends. :D I love to enter the room with an opened bottle in one hand and the dripping sword in the other as though this were the most common thing people do ;) .

It's also useful when working in garden or with certain devices.

11. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Open beer with a sword! Now that's what I call style! :thumb:

12. Mauricio Eiji Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

I don't know abou the rest of you guys, but my kitchen is full of sharp, pointy objects! :D

13. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

:rolleyes: Someone had to say it. heheh.
    Closest thing I've come to a sword is a penknife and a piece of wood. :(
    Nevermind, i'm sure there will be someway of attaining an illegal piece of weaponry for a 16yr old. :D

(8 people, simultaneous post!)

[ January 27, 2003, 22:28: Message edited by: Gopher ]

14. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] My mother won't let me get a sword :wail:

So instead...

My dad is a magician and I have "aquired" many tricks, I also aquired a big stick I use to wack my mothers boyfried :evil:

I am not really allowed around sharp objects, fire, sticks, pins and lava lamps are bad enough.

15. Yochimbo Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

B*stard Sword - Cheap Indian knockoff, 5.5 ft long

Viking Long Sword - Cheap Spanish knockoff, 40 inches

Flimsy Little Battleaxe - No self-respecting country would confess to making it, weighs about 2 pounds

Really Nasty and Fully Useful Double-Bitted Battle Axe (my favorite): Friend who works for a swordsmith made it for me. Mmm, pretty

12-inch Bowie Knife - Dad made it for my 15th b-day

12-inch Tanto - Dad made it for my 18th b-day

17-inch Pigsticker From Hell - Taiwanese origin, but horribly effective design

Katana - Mid-1800's, in Japan. The Real Deal. Will cut through a four-inch post.

Now if someone would just break into my home and give me cause to use them :D

16. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I mis-read the title of this thread and thought it was the "Sharlp Pointy Object Topic" ... I was hoping to see more antics of my favorite conservative catholic cynic.

Right now I am blade-free. I used to have a short sword & a great Bowie knife, but my wife "lost" them in a movie (just like she lost my NWN CD ... grrr)

After the next move, money allowing, I get my pick of swords ... so send me any cool links, I want a good one.

17. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

*cough* phallic symbol *cough*

I'd buy a sword, but only if I had a good reason...in this case, perhaps if the Mongols got it into their heads to invade North America or something. I will admit that swords do hold some bizarre fascination for me. I've found myself looking at them in stores, desperately thinking of a reason to buy one. So far, no Mongols.

18. Mauricio Eiji Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

Oh, yeah, in the hospital I can get lots of really pointy, really sharp objects (I study medicine). :thumb:

19. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

20. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

[​IMG] I have a collection of pointy-ish biros, does that count? After all, the pen is supposedly mightier than the sword (sorry, I had to)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.