1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Weight lifting and other forms of exercise...

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Kovalis Darkfire, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Do you work out or excercise? If you do, what kind of stuff do you do? How old are you, how much do you weigh, what is your height... How much can you bench, curl, etc...?

I excersize daily. I am 16 years old, 140 pounds, 6'. For arobic excersize I run for about an hour a day in the hills by my home. During summer vacation I do pushups instead of Bench press(simply because I don't have access to a bench). I do 55 pushups 3 days a week. I also do pullups, chinups, dumb-bell curls, and crunches. Last time I tried(a couple months ago when I was in school still) I put up 155 pounds(one rep) on the bench. I do 19 chinups and 14 pullups. I curl with 40 pound dumb-bells, and I do 130 crunches every night. How's that for a full scale work out. :lol:

[ August 20, 2003, 16:34: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

2. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I just go for runs, and the occasional bike ride.
    Oh and three times a week I go to a gym for about two hours and do... oh whats the word... can't remember :doh:
    And then I've got hockey and archery, which are forms of excersise. I play about 4 hours of hockey a week, and usuallt about 4 hours of archery as well.

3. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31

You reminded me RotKu that I also do alot of skateboarding.(After sending brother off to purchase Lionheart from Best Buy, Kovalis goes onto the back porch to work on bustin a 360 ollie on his skateboard)

4. Silverwolf86 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] I like sort of free forms exercise... Um basically I'm captain of Color Guard at my high school and this is a type of art-form joined with sport. So I might randomly do 4 light, easy-going hours of twirling batons or I might do two really rough hours of swinging two 7 pound sabres around my head and at my sides. . . (SO much harder than you would think. Even twirling fire is easier) And other than that, I stay in shape for color guard by doing crew and rollerblading. And in winter I like downhill skiing. But it's nothing that's really measurable.

For instance, I know how much I bench (but I'm not going to share it) but to me, the real test is being able to do ten minutes of twirling my fastest and hardest in zero degree weather in the snow wearing the skimpiest outfit in the world (damn those cheerleaders that get to have jogging suits!!!) without breaking a sweat that would freeze and kill me. Yes, welcome to my half-time show for Thanksgiving and any and all playoffs.

5. Gwenhwyfar Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Exercise? Me? I don't. Unless you count running up and down stairs after the cat/my rat/my brother/my brother's hamster a gazillion times a day, or running after my brother to make sure he doesn't run into anytihng on his bike, or running around trying to find the Elite Force CD, or dancing on my bed to Avril Lavigne, or any of the non-exercise exercise I do.

6. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] @Guen: All that sounds fun ;)

7. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    2 year old = plenty of exercise ;)

8. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

I'm 16 years old too. I'm 6'1" , and about 160 pounds(according to Chev's definition of a pound). I practice nearly everyday, except when I'm on soccer training....

9. Nocturnal Nomad Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I'm 17, 6'2" and I guess 160. I've been going to the gym for about 2-2.5 years now. I usually go 3 times a week, and since I've still got some vacation left I'm going nearly every day now. I only do weightlifting, since I've got a mild case of asthma which means I can't really run and stuff like that.

10. dman18 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I'm 14, somewhere around 5'5", and weigh 150 pounds... slightly ovverweight... But i'm currently biking a 3 and 1/2 mile stretch near my house, it has crazy hills but i do it. I also do pushups, situps, and bicycle crunchs when i get done with that.

11. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    20 year old

195 cm / 6'5''

75 kg / 165 lbs

80 cm / 31'' waist

104 cm / 41'' chest

Some purely accidental muscle.

SPOILERS BELOW!!!

I frown on sports, I hate them, I despise them, I loathe them. Especially team ones. This actually stops being the case if my participation is out of question. In that case I'm perfectly obliviously negligently indifferent. I only exercise if I feel like it and it doesn't come often. I never took part in any PE class if avoiding it was an option and the only time I saw the university doctor was to seal my total PE leave.

But now comes the real fun: I've always been the last one to fall and stronger, more dextrous and more persistent (not really classic stamina since I utterly and completely suck at fitness and have health problems other than getting ill which I rarely do) than all those wannabe sport stars. It's a funny feeling for the geek to keep marching joyously and see the jocks crawl kilometres behind :D It's also a funny thing to throw gym bulls around or hold a Nazi survival course freak upside down by his ankles. Or lift them all guys from your class one by one when you get drunk at New Year's Even party. BTW, guess who drinks the most at the parties where I'm present ;)

To sum up this truly moral and character-building kid-amending iconic story of heroism and moral excellence, eating whatever at whatever times in whatever quantity, drinking 5-8 coffees a day and bucketfuls of alcohol, taking it en masse on empty stomach, while sleeping irregularly when you feel like it (aka 3-4/48 hours or 15/24 at random dice), making your way through and getting away with things, partying to the best of your physical ability (and further), going without food or drink for whole day because you don't want to waste time, being on the computer for 40 hours straight or 16/24 every day (12/24 during weekdays when working or attending classes), playing games until early morning of the day of your final exams, taking exams (or learning for them - as a perverted S&M pleasure when you feel like it) clinically incaffeinated and/or legally intoxicated etc etc while disregarding any diet or exercise routine will make you fit to meet any challenge in life. Only the worthy survive, though. Those in whom the presence of the Force is the strongest ;) :tie:

:coffee: :borg:

[ August 22, 2003, 00:23: Message edited by: chevalier ]

12. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I excercise my legs walking to the fridge, and 12oz curls for my arms :D

13. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    36 years old
    6'1"
    205 lbs

Play basketball at least once a week
    Play tennis at least once a week (like tonight)
    Play golf once a month (like my 5:51 am tee time on Sunday - groan)
    Lift weights - never! Gave that up long ago when the sheer monotony of it crashed upon me like a tidal wave (I was putting up 325 at the time, so it wasn't a part time activity)
    Chase my 5 year old and 2 year old whenever I can
    (Chase my wife too, but that's a different kind of exercise ;) )

14. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

Man Chev, you're really tall. But don't despice sports. They're great when you're in to them, especially soccer :)

15. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31

He aint all that tall. Plenty a people 6'5. I have mixed feelings about sports. I hate them and I love them. But the hate is probably 60%. :rolleyes:

16. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I play occasionally basket and soccer. And i love to walk (among other exercises ;) ). I walk at least 2 Km every day. I think to start once again martial arts (Aikido :cool: or Tae Kwon Do :cool: ) lessons. But weight lifting no way NO WAY. It is not good for your body since it prohibits proper growth, and furthermore it binds you to exercise like this for all your life since if you give up (which will happen sooner or later due to job and other responsibilities) you will confront some very unpleasant events on your body. As the ancient Greeks said "Pan metron ariston" which means it is good to keep a measure on all things.
    I forgot i'm 186 cm tall and weight 82 Kgr.

17. Nocturnal Nomad Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Normal weightlifting doesn't have these effects, bodybuilding does. There's a big difference. Weightlifting is about endurance and bodybuilding is pure muscle. A weightlifter might lift a 12 kg weight for three sets of 15, while a bodybuilder takes on 20 kg for one set of five. Not everyone who goes to the gym is a bodybuilder. I have been going for some years now and I'm not extremely pumped, I'm just stronger then most people of my age. It all depends on your training level. It's true that excessive training can have affect on your growth, but by that time you are actually bodybuilding.And with the binding to exercise you're again talking about bodybuilding. Normal weightlifting doesn't have these effects.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.