1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Post #3

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Taluntain, Nov 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Biology--Dragon Rider Skyward. I can teach you. What do you want to know?

I am Instructor on a basic Biology course at uni.
    Just let me know, and I'll do my best ;)

And next time you dissapear from SP for ages, let me know. You were MIA or RIP or POW :1eye:

[ December 13, 2002, 17:20: Message edited by: Nobleman ]

2. Rogue Rasta Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Wow, so this is what it's like to have a day off. It's only been over 3 years since I took a day off excluding holidays of course. Yep 3 years. I guess I have been lazy about taking time off to be, well lazy. Ahh 3 years of work is no sweat though, I was 'vacation' for the first 18 years of my life.

3. Riddley Walker Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Far away in the tropical waters of the Caribbean, two prawns were swimming around in the sea - one called Justin and the other called Christian. The prawns were constantly being harassed and threatened by sharks that patrolled the area.

Finally one day Justin said to Christian, "I'm bored and frustrated at being a prawn, I wish I was a shark, then I wouldn't have any worries about being eaten..."

As Justin had his mind firmly on becoming a predator, a mysterious cod appears and says, "Your wish is granted", and lo and behold, Justin turned into a shark. Horrified, Christian immediately swam away, afraid of being eaten by his old mate.

Time went on (as it invariably does...) and Justin found himself becoming bored and lonely as a shark. All his old mates simply swam away whenever he came close to them. Justin didn't realise that his new menacing appearance was the cause of his sad plight. While out swimming alone one day he sees the mysterious cod again and can't believe his luck. Justin figured that the fish could change him back into a prawn. He begs the cod to change him back so, lo and behold, he is turned back into a prawn.

With tears of joy in his tiny little eyes, Justin swam back to his friends and bought them all a cocktail.

Looking around the gathering at the reef he searched for his old pal. "Where's Christian?" he asked. "He's at home, distraught that his best friend changed sides to the enemy and became a shark", came the reply.

Eager to put things right again and end the mutual pain and torture, he set off to Christian's house. As he opened the coral gate the memories came flooding back. He banged on the door and shouted, "It's me, Justin, your old friend, come out and see me again." Christian replied "No way man, you'll eat me. You're a shark, the enemy and I'll not be tricked. "

Justin cried back "No, I'm not. That was the old me. I've changed."
    "I've found Cod. I'm a prawn again Christian".

:)

4. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Isn't it funny how everyone takes posting in "all caps" offensive?

*WHY* is it offensive?

It's almost like a cultural translation. When you translate an insult in Italian to Russian, it just doesn't come across as offensive.

Or, like "Bloody" or "Shag". It's offensive in Britian, but much, much, much less so in America.

The only thing I can think of is that all caps doesn't let you show inflection or stress on words and phrases. So, it's offensive in the sense that it's so static, and against all the rules of punctuation and structure.

Don't get me wrong, it takes me by surprise too. And for whatever reason, I find it "loud" as well.

But I always stop and ask myself "WHY?".

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It's not offensive, just annoying. It's almost as annoying to type in all lowercase. What's so difficult about writing properly?

6. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I installed BG1 on my PC last night - and found out it does work - but badly.

My PC is nearly six years old and is pretty cool - but I try and play BG and it elaves scrag on the screen - like in word when it's saving if you move the office assistant around it elaves a trail it does that with the mouse.

I'm writing a story by hand - nobody can read it and it's six pages and I've hardly started it.

I need to find music for H'D mod

I have loads of teachers on my case too :(

at least this weekend I get to stay at my grandmas and get away from it all - until Monday

:wail: Double PE first lessons of Monday! What a stupid idea! I have to do PE on my own and it's humiliating!

7. Riddley Walker Gems: 8/31

[​IMG] Fleetwood Mac are really cool

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Stretches of text in ALL CAPS are much harder to read than in normal writing, simply because our brains are used to recognizing and making sense of smaller letters (which we encounter in 99% of cases) much faster than ALL CAPS TEXT which we (unless we're very unlucky), don't encounter often.

A guy in my class handed the teacher a presentation in all caps two weeks ago. 10 pages of it. I thought to myself, if I was her, I'd hand it back to him and tell him to rewrite it. I mean seriously, what kind of an imbecile would write a whole presentation in caps? Makes about as much sense as writing "FLUNK ME" on top of an exam sheet...

9. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Parties suck. A lot. Social life sucks. Blaah.

10. the god Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] :shake:

bta: what are you talking about? ;) if that veil were any thinner it wouldn't even exist! :p

mauricio eiji: just to prove you wrong (and ruin a private joke in the process!) 'fasta' is a way of formatting files, specifically files made-up of genetic sequences (both nucleotide and protein). the file consists of a first line beginning with '>' then a description of the sequence (often just the name of the sequence, but sometimes the length/number of characters and what the relevance of the sequence). after the newline (carriage return) there is only the uninterrupted sequence (no spaces, tabs or newlines). this type of formatting (not just fasta) allows a concensus for file-manipulation programs to work upon, because the program will ignore the line beginning with '>' and analyse everything else. :square:

11. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Wow, I have essentially spent all my birthday money on other people.

Oh dear, I do so hate having my birthday in December. :mad: :mad:

PS. Bob Dylan is rockin'

12. Eze Gems: 24/31

Don't spend your birthday money on other people then.

13. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] WOOHOO my cash came today, although only half of it :( . Still treated myself to NWN finally, only been trying to get the money for it since it went gold :p .
    And got Jack some really cool presents too :D . He now has a thing that goes over the keyboard and he can push the buttons and make the programs that came with it do stuff. He's been obsessed with keyboards and mice so much I even got him his own a while back lol. Oh and a huge garage with loads of cars that makes lots of sounds was another good one :) . Next another prezzie for me when i get the rest of the cash, new computer bits, this peice of junk needs them badly.

14. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

After looking for months and months, I finally found the soundtrack to the Nightmare Before Christmas. Yay! My own personal christmas present. Danny Elfman's voice forgives his actual looks....

15. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Some advertising from me: Oh glorious people of SP, please spare a moment of though to go to www.cybertown.com and register there and place the name 'Aikanaro' in the refferal box when registering.

16. Eze Gems: 24/31

Aikanaro, that is some cool stuff. :D

17. SC Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Ugh, all these geometric angles and triangles and quadrilaterals and methods to figure out missing angles are just sooooooo tedious!

18. Enthasius Gems: 8/31

Dammit, how am I supposed to concentrate when everyone keeps posting random messages.

The theory of the universe cannot wait...AH!! Ive got it.

The Universe is an expanding guitar shape, simply amazing, and that it is still expanding.

Regardless, im off to re-create the momentous occasion where I accidently cut the tip of my right thumb off when I was using the wire-cheese cutter. Epic stuff.

P.S: :p :p :p :p I hate Willy Wonka and everyone in the Oompa Loompa workers union....another thing, why isn't Union actually pronounced 'Onion' the word is said like "union" dont you think.

Oh drat and be-bothered, my lemon tea is cold.

Pesky Inuit mosquito's from beyond the back garden fence. I hate AND love them.

My point? MY POINT?? Oh, well, that is....erm...
    .........Why is life always unfair, you want to do something, and the something different happens altogether (well, at least to me)

19. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I like my women the way I like my comedy - inoffensive, easy on the ears, and willing to do the hard work for me. :D :D

Boring day...lunch at four o'clock...bah.

20. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] :spin: I'm happy :roll: Studying has brought me understanding of a problem I've been struggling with for a while, my flaming mood seemingly disappeared :heh: So up to my reward: IWD-2 and a shot of scotch - and no glimpse on the Alley of Dangerous Angles first! :heh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.