1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Do you watch anime?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Wordplay, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

No, I don't watch Anime. And I have to agree with Master of Nuhn. As usual. ;)

2. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

My favourite Anime film is Akira :p

In terms of series, i love Dragon Ball Z :D

3. Veralius Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Never seen Akira, but I like Dragonball Z as well. It may be cheesy, and just plain daft at times, but for the majority of the time it's a really cool series.

4. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Evangelion did not really appeal to me because of it's wimpy main character and the writer's obsession about living with slutty women that exhibit some serious cases of neurotism.

Asuka? Crazy, stuck-up little brat.
    Rei? Maybe if you like cold, distant dolls with a superiority complex, Rei will appeal to you.
    And the older woman that acts as Shinji's legal guardian? Ehh...seems that the writer really needs to get laid. :rolleyes:

I'll take Vash the Stampede's rollicking and hilarious adventures and Gattsu of Berserk's rivers of blood and swordplay anytime over a tale of a really wimpy, indecisive neurotic boy living with a bunch of equally neurotic women.

And the giant robot sequences seem to be more of interludes than anything else. They're short, only mildly spectacular and forgettable.

Still, in terms of story and animation, Neon Genesis Evangelion is commendable and hence its placing in my list.

*Grimaces in disgust over the scenes where Shinji wrestles with teenage angst, relationships and his overall lack of a pair of functioning testicles while being pummeled by the evil giant robots( angels, if you prefer)*

* No...I'm (insert utterly self-centred and meaningless issue here) !!! I cannot fight even if it means the end of the world if I fail!* - The main character of Neon Genesis Evangelion's predominant state of mind.

:rolleyes:

Bah.

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

He-hey, what do you think of Dominion Conflict One? (Puma sisters, that special tank...) I just read a fan-fic made by Capricorn, and now I´m a bit curious of the serie/movie. Is it worth buying?

6. Deepsea Anglerfish Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

berserk is always my favourite, the story has not finished yet, each manga comes out every six months damnit :mad:
    evagelion...i'm not sure, i dont really understand the story and every character seems to have some kind of psychiatic illness, anyway, the story is too dark... and i hate gainax.
    hunterxhunter is another great one, same writter of yuyu hakusho, i think it much better than yuyu.
    pita ten, shia is cute. same writter of digi charat, but not as crazy as digi, a more complete story, and more serious
    the last love song on this little planet...sad story, too sad, even big guys break into tear.
    marhoromatic...an interesting and funny anime with lot of laughers but beware,it's another anime from gainax, no spoilers, i think US should have it's dvd on stock

7. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I've only seen some of the more mainstream anime, but I love it. Dragonball Z, Sailor Moon, Ghost in the Shell, Tenchi Muyo and Cowboy Bebop. I could never get into the whole Gundam thing. I'm also reading Ranma 1/2, which is hilarious, but is technically magna, not anime. I would love to start watching Ah! My Goddess, which is supposed to be wonderful. (I also like Samurai Jack, which isn't Japanese in origin, so it's not anime, but it's awesome.)

8. Faded Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I've watched only a few, but so far the good ones in my book are Perfect Blue, Ghost In The Shell, Blood The Last Vampire, Metropolis, Princess Mononoke, Ninja Scroll and X.

These days I'm quite busy going through various Takeshi Kitano movies, though... ;)

[ February 13, 2003, 09:50: Message edited by: Faded ]

9. Danj Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] I can't believe nobody mentioned Castle of Cagliostro! ARGH! It's one of those anime that you can compare to Akira(the most legendary anime out there) and get away with it coz its so good. Good God I love Lupin III flicks!

10. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Most Anime that I've managed to sit through sort of struck me as childish macho crap (if Pokemon qualifies as anime) or techno-macho crap.

There is however one Anime movie that remains one of my favorites, Ninja Scroll. Jubei Kubigama is quite the intriguing character. He is a conflicted, and ultimately well-meaning character who knows how to bring it on. If fact, he's convinced that he's already bought his one-way non-refundable ticket to hell. And those Devils of Kimone that he has to fight!

If it means anything to Arabwel, Kagero provided some of the inspiration when I came up with "Arabwel's Second Hand", except that I deliberately steered it into a happy ending.

11. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Well, never heard of it...

I have watched some Pokemon when it started, on the basis that "Well, it IS Anime..." But don't worry, I was not pernmanently scarred. I have watched part of one episode of DBZ, and laughed my ass off. But I do like Inu Yasha, of which I have never seen a single episode, but of which I have read lots of fan fiction. My friend at school got me hooked one sunny afternoon telling me the story while we waited for our respective buses to arrive... :D

(Sess is soo kawaiii! *facefaults* And was that even the right word? *sratches her head)

12. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Hmm...

My fav's: Cowboy Bebop, Trigun [Vash-ah the Stampede-ah!], Princess Mononoke, and Blood the Last Vampire.

Anyone else excited about the Cowboy Bebop movie coming out?

13. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I've watched one episode of DBZ on the basis of: 'Well everyone else loves it, and its on, so I might as well watch it.' It was the stupidest thing I ever saw

14. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Amon-Ra, you mean knocking on Heaven´s door?
    I´ve got it for 6 months now

15. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Arabwel,i too watched Pokemon and got scarred,cuz of the dollars i've wasted to card game.
    Heh,other than Pokemon,Hentai stuff is fine :evil:

16. Arabwel

Media:
    Hentai? Well well... hentai anime I have yet to watch but it IS on my "to do list"... especially if it is yaoi. And has elven bishies :p

(The freak... with a smattering of Japanese)

17. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Hey, same here ejSmith, I hear alot of people talking about it, but I don't even have a t-v so I haven't the slightest clue on what it's all about.

18. Arabwel

Media:
    It's japanese animated TV films. Ever seen a Pokemon cartoon? Or the Pokemon movies? Or Digimon? That's anime. The worst jkind, but it's still anuime.

*sighs*

(*runs off with the elves*)

19. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Hmmph - I am surprised that noone has mentioned "Vampire Hunter D" yet!

And I am totally with all of you Ninja Scroll, Cowboy Bebop, Mononoke, and X fans out there - it is all a matter of knowing what is good and what is not!!

20. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

In case anyone still doesn't know, anime is Japanese for animation. It is not animation for adults. Anyway, you have to understand a bit of Japanese culture to gain an insight into anime. It's hard to appreciate anime if you don't know why they have those teardrops effects or why they have smaller versions of the characters or why they have funky hair and eye colors.

Some are really for kids like Dragonball and is meant to be silly. Some have a more serious tone like Akira.

So to answer the question, I do watch anime but not often.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.