1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Worthless lives

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Zaragoth, Nov 13, 2001.

1. Kill_Lexington Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

2. The Grim Ripper Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

'The answer to life, the universe, and everything, Is...'
    'Yes?'
    'Is...'
    'Yes?!?'
    '42.'
    'We're going to get linched, You know that?'

:D

3. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

...Why do people feel a need to believe in God?

Well, the most obvious answer is "because he exists". But assume he doesn't. Or assume that that sort of reason is not quite enough. In that case, I'd have to say...it's because people feel lonely in this big, empty world, whose only meaning to each individual is what they choose to give it.

(I believe in God! Yes, you believe...so YOU give meaning. I live for the pleasures of the moment! Again, what meaning YOU give.)

Admittedly life often seems empty if you don't believe in God. A GOOD way to believe in God is to believe in some great, wise, loving presence; a burning avenger or a screwed-up $^#% who made the world for his own amusement isn't quite as comforting (although, depending on the person, can have an equal amount of meaning).

Maybe some people find meaning within themselves, and call it God. Maybe there IS a God, and some people call it something else...?

As long as there has been man there have been his gods, which explain all the things man cannot understand; at the beginning of human civilization, Science and Theology were one and the same.

What about heaven? What about our "reward"?

Know what? Most of the time, I think "heaven suxx". Think about all the atrocities that have been committed in the name of religion! The Crusades. The Inquisition. Witch-burning. Mass hysteria, headed by a few people with ulterior motives. Religion in it's purest form may be a good and beneficial thing but, like everything else, it has often been corrupted.

Many "true believers" really do believe in God; then they go out and live a good, moral life not because it is the "right way to do things", sortof, but because they are afraid of divine retribution. They don't wanna die and go to hell. THAT is definitely the wrong way to do things.

Be good for good's own intristic value. Being "good" out of enlightened self-interest is at the very least...selfish.

I don't believe in God, it's true. And yes, after reading the posts of...believers...here, I do occasionally feel empty. Only when I see the way that other people are filled with faith, though. In the end, I'd rather have my own self-determination in this world then someone else (however well-intentioned) determining it for me.

Maybe I'm making a GIANT mistake and I'll burn in hell! I don't think so, but if it DOES happen, I'll take the consequences for living my life the way I wanted to (in a good, moral way, but not because I want to go to heaven for it, like a child being given some sort of a bauble).

I think I've made my choice. I *will* abide by it.

...Does it sound like I know what I'm talking about? I don't know :grin:. Maybe the answer for life IS 42. It'd be a helluvalot simpler that way....

4. Farthy Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Its obvious - to play D&D and computer games.

5. Arkados Blackmire Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Slith, if you went crazy (by normal perception), and perceived that you were a playboy multi-billionaire, then to you, and everyone like you, that would be true. Of course, the rest of us would probably percieve you as crazy and having a huge collection of blowup dolls. (dont worry though, i believe you :) )

Your life is a matter of what you perceive. What the absolute truth is, nobody can ever claim to know. In fact, even after you read the Bible, it's what you perceive from it is it not? And its translations are based on what the translators perceived the language of the old to be.

Woman without her Man is nothing
    Woman! Without her, Man is nothing.
    Woman without her Man, is nothing.

What did you perceive this to be?
    Such a simple sentence. Just lacking in a few little dots made two drastic differences. What more the complicated Bible, and the extremely complicated thing we call life.

6. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I believe that we exist to fulfill a higher purpose. There is no reason on Earth as to why or how we exist. Why do bacteria and duck billed platapuses(platapi?) exist? The truth is that they exist because they have no other choice. They were born, they will die. In between they will probably eat something and take a crap.

So, if we do exist through a mere twist of dioxyribose fate then we can do nothing else other than eat, crap, procreate, and then die. However, I prefer to believe that there is something greater than, well, us. There seems to be enough proof (at least to me) that something greater exists, so I will do my best to achieve the goals set forth by that being. If I'm wrong, then I lived as pointless a life as the rest of you, but if I'm right...God help us all.

7. The purpose of life is to watch all the frantic fools arguing with each other about what is life, when they should be watching other fools. It is quite entertaining. :D

8. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

When you are about to die, you'll know the answer. If you still don't find any meaning with life, well that's just too bad ;)

EDIt;

D'oh! I repeated myself(spammed) on an ancient topic I thought was new, argh, cripes!

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited February 04, 2002).]

9. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

I agree with the "Wise" Lord Yerril, the Deva who laughs at my expense.

10. Wow, Slith, you're a great friend. Here, have a beer. Careful, its poisoned!

Haha! Just kidding! :angel:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.