1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Convince Me...

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Luan, Jan 12, 2002.

1. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I prefer the Austrian beers Goesser and Zipfer but the Czech Starobrno and Budweiser are also on my taste.
    Further i love to drink Heineken and Guiness but stay away from me with the Belgian fruit-flavored beers, they
    are almost as ugly as the german fashion to mix beer with coke. Bhäää....

2. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Beer and Coke!!???

Now that really should carry capital punishment!

YUCH!

3. Asmodeus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Most of the so called Belgian fruit-flavored beers are not flavored with fruit but are actually made out of fruit. The one exception I know of is Belle-vue, they add a cherry-substance after the brewing process to their ´Kriek´. But it´s a terrible mistake to say that Belgian Beers are fruit beers, there are far more Blonds, Doubles, Triples and even Quadruples beer types. (For the novices among beer drinkers, this refers to the way of layering and the time beer ripens so to speak, this gives a range in alcohol percentage from as low as 4.5% up till 13%, not to mention the variables in taste)
    I, for my own part, can´t understand why people drink Budweiser or almost any American beer at all. It´s tasteless, low on taste, it has no taste, it´s just like cold water, has no alcohol, it has no density but most of all it has no taste whatsoever.
    (Did I say that Bud has no taste ;) )
    To me it´s just a beer that´s drunk because of it´s trendiness, this also applies to Corona, Heineken, Tuborg and Carlsberg,all brands who spend millions in advertising instead of taste.......
    Ok, not entirely true, Tuborg and Carlsberg do seem to have a good taste, but it´s in the least unique. The taste reminds one of the Urtyp Pilseners, a typical German way of brewing beer. Those beers can be found richly among the so called Ruhrgebiet.

Ooh, this topic really gets me going.

[This message has been edited by Asmodeus (edited January 16, 2002).]

4. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31

[​IMG] Thanks for the information about Belgian beers Asmodeus, what sort do you recommend for me as a Heineken lover. (I always like to enlarge my horizont especially about alcoholic alimentations ;) )
    Btw. I share your thoughts about that stuff the Americans are calling beer:

Do you know the difference between making love on the beach and American beer?

Nothing, both is f*cking close to water.

In Austria (also in Germany) there are many breweries too. Most of them are very small and catering only for the loacal market others joined brewery holdings where only the holding name is known. I will give you some tasteful Austrian brands:
    Goesser, Zipfer, Murauer, Schladminger, Schaerdinger, Kapsreiter, Zwettler, Ottakringer, Wieselburger, Mohrenbrau, Reininghaus, Puntigammer, Stiegel, Hirter, Fohrenburger, Sigl, Tobisch, Schwarzacher, Villacher, Schleppe, Rieder, Raschhofer, Schnaitl, Schlaegl, Freistaedter, Egger, Pistinger, Eggenberger, Schremser, Wurmhoehringer, Weitra, Grieskirchner.....

[This message has been edited by BogiTheWaverer (edited January 16, 2002).]

5. Luan Guest

Well Asmodeus you certainly managed to mention the beer I most want to try in that list (Westvleteren, and if anyone knows where I can get hold of some it'll be greatly appreciated).

Viking, there should be several good brewers around the area, find a decent pub that does guest ales is the best bet (although I know some that do a much better job of it than others), or an independant off licence, but they seem hard to find (thankfully we have one, and one of the chain ones - I think it's Bottom's Up - has a respectable selection. Thankfully this place is a lot better than where I'm from (Derbyshire)

6. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

On the big label is Budweiser, on the small label on the small part of the bottle is only Bud. You can see that here:
    http://www.cwrl.utexas.edu/~syverson/309-spring96/studentwork/project4/barrera-white-vanpelt/bud.jpg

Asmodeus, A Kasteel Golden Triple (one of the few blond triples) is great. Dentergems is indeed great white beer and Kriek cherrish beer that tastes delicious after sport or on a hot day. As Brown beer I prefer Tongerlo...

Ah, talking about flavoured beers, did anyone try Salitos or Desperado's? It is spanish beer (Cerveza), beer flavoured with tequilla lime.... Also great beer when it's a warm day.

[This message has been edited by Headbanger (edited January 17, 2002).]

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wow you guys have really good memories. I rarely remember what I have drunk, except the four first ones :)

A great swedish beer (there arent that many of them) is Lapin Kulta clear clean beer taste with a hint of bitterness, excellent!

8. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Noooo! Lapin Kulta DEFINITELY IS NOT Swedish! It's Finnish! Finnish, I say!
    And yes, it's good, if one likes to drink beer.

Sorry if I offend anyone, I'm just feeling very patriotic when anything alcoholic is in question...

Ara
    (Sniffles, and 10 minutes before I have to go... :()

9. Asmodeus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well, Bogi, as a Heineken lover you should try to get a hold on a bottle of Straffe Hendrik. (Transl as Bold or Brave Hendrik). It´s from the brewery de Halve Maan (Crescent Moon) in the town Brugge. It´s a very tastefull beer with a distinctive smell of hops.
    Look at http://www.halvemaan.be for more info. As I am a weissen-beer lover, do you have any tips for me ?

Luan, try adressing the brewery at Westvleteren, that works most of the times. I´ve tried to find you a webpage about it but couldn´t come up with one..

And yes, Headbanger, a Kasteel GT is a very good thirstquencher (and headache-contributor ;) ). But almost all triples are blond or at least clear and amber/like. It´s the Doubles and Quadrupples that are mostly dark-brown of colour and not clear due to the higher temperature during the heatening of the malt (Eesten it´s called in dutch, I do not know the english term) at the end of glucose-forming process.

10. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Thanks for the info. Yeah you are right, triples are often blond.... but the taste of Kasteel (11 percent Alcohol) is lighter then most other beers I know that are sdo heavy (like Kanon) :) but the taste s also better then for example Leffe-triple..

11. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31

Asmodeus if you prefer the non-filtered (with yeast clouds) types I would choose the German Schneider or Erdinger.
    The Austrian Edelweiss is recommendable filterd and non-filterd.
    At least I have a secret tip, if fait brings you to the styrian pilgrimage place Mariazell then you have to visit a small inn-brewery called Girerbräu. They have the best non-filterd weissbeer between here and Texas.

Btw. I found something about Budweiser beer:

The History of the Anheuser-Busch Brewery

In 1860, Eberhard Anheuser purchased a small brewery on the bank of the Mississippi River in St. Louis.
    The next year, Eberhard's daughter, Lilly married a young brewery supplier named Adolphus Busch.
    Adolphus joined in the management of the brewery in 1864 and began brewing a variety of beers to satisfy the tastes of a growing diversifying young nation.
    A great brewing empire was in the making.
    Adolphus' dream o f creating a universally-popular brand that transcended regional tastes came true in 1876 with the introduction of Budweiser.
    Today, the "King of Beers" reigns as the world's bestselling brand.
    The first Budweiser label guaranteed a premium beer made from the finest natural ingredients.
    That commitment to quality has been an Anheuser-Busch hallmark for four generations, a cornerstone from which the Busch family built the world'd largest brewing company.
    Adolphus Busch's dedication to producing beers to meet all of American's tastes continues with the ongoing introduction of new brands and hand-crafted specialty lagers, ales, porters, bocks and muencheners.
    We are also successfully expanding and developing new beer markets all over the world through our subsidiary, Anheuser-Busch International, Inc.

Taken from a folder (c)1996 Anheuser-Busch, Inc., St. Louis, MO

[This message has been edited by BogiTheWaverer (edited January 18, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.