1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which of the girdles is best?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Klorox, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I'm trying to solo BG1 for the first time, and I'm doing pretty good so far. My biggest problem is space management, so I just wanted to see what you guys thought the best of the BG1 girdles was. I'm leaning towards the one that provides extra slashing defense, but I'm not sure.

Here are the girdles, and what they do:

Girdle of Bluntness: +4 AC vs. Blunt weapons
    Girdle of Piercing: +3 vs. Piercing weapons
    Golden Girdle: +3 AC vs. Slashing weapons

I plan on wearing the Boots of Avoidance, and they grant a +5 AC bonus vs. missile weapons, which most are piercing, so I feel pretty good there. The extra bonus from the Girdle of Bluntless looks nice too, but I don't know which is more important. As I said, I'm going solo this time, so space management is of utmost importance.

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

It all depends on your armor. I use the girdles to patch that hole in AC vs. Armor Types that the armor I'm wearing has. It's usually the Girdle of Bluntness for me, though.

Best girdles for each armor:
    Leather - Piercing (Leather is AC 10 vs. piercing! :aaa: )
    Studded Leather - Bluntness
    Chain Mail - Bluntness
    Splint Mail - Golden
    Plate Mail - Bluntness or Piercing
    Full Plate - Bluntness

EDIT: Full Plate with Girdle of Bluntness and Boots of Avoidance has AC -2 vs. piercing, -3 vs. slashing/bludgeoning, and -4 vs. missiles! :thumb: Great for a tank.

[ July 20, 2005, 06:47: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

3. krunchyfrogg Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

Wow, I didn't realize BG1 implemented those rules! Cool!

I guess piercing weapons go right through leather armor!

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Hence the :aaa: . That's why I always go with studded. Besides, you can't get the Girdle of Piercing unless you either don't complete Unshey's quest, or you kill her afterward and take the rep hit. She puts it on as soon as you give it to her, so you can't pickpocket it. :grr: It makes the Girdle of Bluntness arguably the best in the game.

5. krunchyfrogg Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

Screw Unshey. I don't know about anybody else, but when I found out you can't get it back, I don't complete her quest.

6. Elwyn De'Liam Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I Ctrl+Y her ]:->

7. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

For the last battle(s) you will need the Golden Girdle especially.

8. Shayleigh Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Cheaters Unite! I have to start a Which Cheat Do You Abuse the Most poll. :p

9. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Golden girdle here. Most baddies use slashing weapons.

10. Klorox

How is this cheating, Shayleigh?

I just never talk to Unshey anymore. I just happen to run into that ogre and keep a cool belt for myself!

11. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Same here. It took me about a year to figure out Unshey even existed, but the girdle of piercing complements a mage nicely. The golden girdle's my favourite after that.

12. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If you equip a mage with the right items:

Boots of Avoidance +5 vs missiles
    Cloak of Displacement +4 vs missiles
    Girdle of Piercing +3 vs missiles
    Traveler's Robe +1 vs missiles
    Claw of Kazgaroth +5 vs missiles

That's +18 versus missiles. In my last game Imoen never got hit while casting (dualed to mage).

13. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I love the piercing girdle because it does double duty. +3 to missile and piercing weapons is just great. I use the girdle of bluntness when I have plate or chain armor though.

14. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Well.... I would say: Keep all belts and switch when you need to....

Just look at your defenses and your class, choose one girdle as default one... and when you meet some archers or swordsmen, or skeleton warriors like when you return to Candlekeep, just switch to the best girdle.

15. Klorox

It's tough to hold onto all the girdles if you're soloing.

16. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I know it takes some space :) When you go for shield, you could choose to carry the Shield with bonus vs Missile Weapons and drop the girdle of piering.... the golden girdle and the girdle of bluntness are both very useful when solo-ing...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.