1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Chicago (not the band)

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Psycho. the fanged rabbit, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Psycho. the fanged rabbit Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

If any one lives in Chicago do you know any fun free activities or really fun activities tha don't cost much. I'm visiting Chicago next week just for fun.

2. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Visit the Sears Tower, 2nd tallest building in the world. Wander Navy Pier, kind of a Coney Islandish area...though most things to do there will probably violate your money limitation, there are free things to do there. Parking is not one of those things, however. Lincoln Park Zoo is downtown and free to all. Go to the Musuem of Natural History, Museum of Science and Industry, the Adler Planetarium, the Art History Musuem, or the Shedd Aquarium. Normally they have an entrance fee, but I think some days are free...I wanna say Wednesdays, but I am not sure. That may just be for the Musuems...I haven't been in a while. Go see a Second City show, they are a comedy troupe, I recall that being pretty cheap and damned funny. Their graduates include people like Dan Akroyd and Bill Murray. Go to a Cubs game, if possible...not sure if they are on the road or not. A baseball game at Wrigley Field is not something to be missed.

There's a ton more to do, I just don't spend enough time downtown to think of it. :o

3. the_eleven Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Well I can't think of anything totally free to do off hand, but alot of the musuems that Mr. Deviant Mage mentioned above are fairly cheap. I'm pretty sure admission fees range from 8 to 15 dollars. Most of the 'free days' for the musuems don't start until mid September. But I know for a fact that you can get into the Art Institute for free on Tuesdays year round. Lots of interesting paintings and artwork there. Most of these musuems have web sites, so you may want to search around the net and see what you can come up with.

Second City is worth a shot. I live right down the street, and try to catch a show now and again. Last I knew, tickets were only 8 bucks. Well worth it.

I can't really think of anything else off hand, but I'll be sure and post before the weekend if I can come up with any other cheap activities.

You may want to check out this site. It's a free local paper, but the site lists happenings around town up to the 22nd of August as well as other intereting 'guides' and such:

http://www.chireader.com/

[ August 16, 2002, 13:00: Message edited by: the_eleven ]

4. Psycho. the fanged rabbit Gems: 9/31

Wheres this second City Show it sounds fun and cheap.

5. the_eleven Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Here, check out the Second City web site and go to the Chicago Main Stage section. All the info you will need is there. As I expected tickets are only 8 dollars.

http://www.secondcity.com/

6. Psycho. the fanged rabbit Gems: 9/31

I just back from Chicago sadly. I loved Chicago it's so..... big. Every one in Chicago was so nice loved how it seems like people really don't care about anything. Another thing about Chicago is everyone is always doing something and I love that because I hate just sitting and relaxing unless I'm eating. The architecture (check spelling) on the buildings was great just another thing influencing me to be a architect (one of the two jobs I'm thinking of being). I think I need two be a little older the next time I go though like at 21 so I can go to so many things I wasn't able to go to before, for example I wasn't able to go to that Second City show damnit I was really looking forward to that is would have been my first time going to a comedy club. This last week I had a few firsts while I was in Chicago. I went on my first train, on my first subway, went to the Sears tower, went to the aquarium, went to the Museum of Science and History, went to the Field Museum (good museum), had my first Chicago deep dish pizza (yum), and finally my first time of staying in a Hostel. I had two parts that brought my trip down my grandma and my friend. My grandma hated walking and when we did walk she always wanted to sit every 2 minutes. She didn't know how to run the machine to get your subway and train ticket you know the phrase, "what is it with this new technology" I got really sick of going over how to get the card. And she always got lost I new where I was going and it was my first time in Chicago and her second.
    My friend ruined the trip by not coming. He said he was going but he didn't talk to his parents untill the day before we left so of course the parents said no because it was to late of notice. So to end the post I loved Chicago I'll just never go with my grandma again. I am for sure going to visit again with in the next few years on a road trip with my buds probably. I think I even want to move there.

7. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31

Good to hear, I'm glad our city puts its best foot forward with the visitors. And on a related note, GO BEARS.

[ August 24, 2002, 05:26: Message edited by: The Deviant Mage ]

8. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] I used to live in Chi (7 yrs), and its great but expensive. I just got back from LA (a bit of a pain, and people have bad attitudes). What I used to ove about Chicago was how everyone dressed so well, like all the time. As for cheap things to do, I have no idea. I'm sure you'll have fun, though.

9. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Go Giants...Bears, suck it!

10. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I could have swore I posted in this thread before your trip! Sorry that it didn't work...but this is a great city!

This weekend the AVP volleyball tour was on North Beach, under a mile walk from my house.

I Love It Here!

(And the Bears are pretty bad ... why do you think we kicked them out of town and down to Champaign!?!)

11. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31

Pretty bad? They went 13-3 and won the division last year!

With Chandler as backup QB, Marcus Robinson back from his injury, and Brian Urlacher leading the best set of linebackers in the business behind one of the best defensive lines, the Bears are gonna be great this year.

This year, though, they better beat the damned Packers. I'm living in Madison as of last week for college, I don't think I could stand being here if the Bears lost. :nolike:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.