1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Rugby World Cup

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Tassadar, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

SOOOO SWEEEET, though I expect someone is going to tell me the best team lost?

News chaps: NO - The best team by a week won. How that ever got anywhere near extra time is a mystery. England by about 15 in 80 minutes was about the right score. Oh well.

Swing low, I know I am :D

2. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Bwahahaahahahahaahahahaaaa!!!!!

3. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Hey Viking, lets have a pop quiz. Who scored all of england's points barring perhaps 10 over the entire World Cup? And what would have happened if they had not had this mystery player?

Don't get too cocky. It was a close game and without Wilkinson, you would have lost. Big time. Although I'm hardly going to ***** about winning with a drop goal. That would be hypocritical.

4. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Best team won. Well done England.
    There will always be complaints about how you play, (it's boring etc.) when its Final-Time you're not there to please the crowd with fancy rugby, you're there to win.
    Sorry Aussie, better luck in France.

5. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

There were other people on our team??

6. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    From where I was sitting there were only two pairs of legs on the team- Martin Johnson's and Jonny Wilkinson's ;)

7. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Ermmm...

What the Aussies often leave out when attacking our all kicking playing style, is that to force these drop goals and penalties we have to exerting pressure on your back line. Attacking your half.

And it takes a great forward line to create the kicking opportunities anyway. Methinx you might be just bitter? ;) .

At the end of the day: We have won the Rugby World Cup 2003 in your own back yard. Thats what history remembers. And history will remember this team as one of the finest seen in recent times imo.

8. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Not to mention England was a team of oldies "Dad's Army" if I remember the critics correctly :)

9. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Ashame those Aussies couldn't show the English how rugby is properly played. But I guess having 4 years of the English saying how great they are is better than having the Aussies go on and on.

10. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    :rolleyes:

The sheer blind arrogance of some people is sometimes painful to behold :mad: .

Can you never just say "Ok, fair play, the best team of the tournament won, by playing good, fair, controlled rugby".... I thought not ;)

No offence ;)

11. Riddley Walker Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Jolly good show England! Ripping stuff what!

Johnny must be up for a knighthood after that... or they'll make him the next Queen of England :D

12. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

i thought it was a good match - and despite what people say, i like the fact that you can win a rugby match in many different ways, kick goals, score tries, bit of both, whatever

people should stop dissing england's way of playing - if you had a massive forward pack and a great goalkicker, would you attack with your backs? or would you take points on offer when your pack got your kicker inside enemy territory

a team should play to its strengths, look what happened when england started running the ball and using the backline - they lost metres! they looked static, passed to the player right next to them, didn't look even slightly threatening - *but* when they started to trumble forward with dallaglio and co up the middle, looked unstoppable - so why change your gameplan if its working?

the fact england rely so heavily on wilkinson is irrelevant - jonah won us a few matches by himself in previous world cups

regardless, i am looking forward to the next season and the next crop of all blacks - with tana as captain, heh

13. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

That is true. A team should play its' strenghts. But that doesn't mean one should like the way a team plays. Take South Africa for example. There strenght is brute force. They're violent, and look like a group of over grown school bullies (generlising I know). By being violent and unnessicarly rough they are playing their strength. Doesn't mean people have to like it when peoples heads get kicked in by a south african.

Yes, England is good at rugby, but their style isn't good.

14. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

To all our British friends who followed the match, well done and of course the best team wins. (Not that I even followed the match...)

But I'd like to apologise for John (idiot) Coward's pathetic attitude at the handing out the cup and medals. What a joke of a "performance". It was all through the paper how lacking grace and sportsmanship he had.

Anyway I guess that's why I have never really been one for sports much, some people treat it like a religious war, when it's only a game, played for fun...

15. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

@rotku

just be thankful england don't have our backs...

16. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Never been much of a Union fan myself but it was a damn good match, even if I couldn't really follow it that well, what with all the 'phase' stuff and everything. But still it was certainly good to see England take it over the Wallabies, even though they DO train in my hometown, considering how badly the English seem to do at sports. I heard something about the last time England won a Wrold Cup was the soccer in 1966!

originally posted by Khazraj:
    But I'd like to apologise for John (idiot) Coward's pathetic attitude at the handing out the cup and medals. What a joke of a "performance". It was all through the paper how lacking grace and sportsmanship he had.

There was actually something on the news about them not having allowed for Extra Time, which wwould explain much. But still, you'd think they would at least account for something like that in a Final hey?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.