1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Serious partitioning problem

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Ragusa, Aug 13, 2001.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Toying around with a computer I made a silly mistake: I deleted the primary DOS-partition.

Unfortunately the hdd is now invisible for my win98 startdisc and the partition magic rescuediscs.
    Anyone knows a trick or a handy tool to restore the DOS formatting of the hdd ?

Help & advive needed !!!

2. Vile Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

You wouldn't happen to have a second hard drive would you?

Sorry to ask, but I don't see how someone could accidentally do that. How? I don't mean to make you angry or anything. Please explain in detail what you did and maybe I can help. Otherwise, Fat egg or someone else with more knowledge in this subject can.

3. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

It can't be restored. But I also don't get the problem. Explain it some more. TheHDD should always be visible when correct installed in the Bios...

4. Ragusa

Media:
    (a) no, i don't have a second hdd, just a 3,5" floppy. And worse: It's a notebook :(

(b) under a dos operating sys the hdd is *only* visible when it is dos-formatted and has a dos-formatted logical dos-drive. Since I deleted it, I just have my 3,5" and the temporarily dos-drive created with the start disc.

5. Silverblade Guest

Just do what I usually do when I totally screw up my computer and can't fix it myself: call in a pro! They usually can fix it.

P.S. with a pro I mean an expert, preferably someone you know, a friend or a family member, because if you call a store or something like that to fix your pc, you'll have to pay for it.

[This message has been edited by Silverblade (edited August 13, 2001).]

6. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

I'm sure that when I was near the computer now I could fix it. I only don't get the problem exaclty and I also have sometimes problems to describe how to fix it...

Ahh well just come over to Arnhem, it isn't that far away from Cologne :)

7. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

ok you need to replace the dos partition you have erased. you lost all your data when you erased the primary partition anyhow.

Use the win boot disk and do fdisk
    put that dos partition back in ...

8. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Yeah I hope you got a boot disk with the necessary dos-programs on it?

9. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] Thank you all very much for your help, especially Kitiara - it pointed out to be a BIOS-problem .... so my hdd is resurrected so I just have to do the wizard-trick (bootwise) to install win98 on a notebook with eithere a 3,5" *or* a cd-rom :D :mad: ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.