1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Do girls play computer games?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Kovalis Darkfire, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Autobahn racing, loooool now there is a crappy Dutch game :D

to be honest and to stick to the topic, I never met a girl who played computergames, never.. poor souls

2. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

8people, I admire you for being yourself.

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

8people, you're in a chest club? How... odd :p .

I know one girl who wants to paly Diablo II, if she could her hands on it. I also tried to drag her into D&D, but it didn't exactly work.

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I meant ChesSSSSSSSSSS :X

Not as bad as my German teacher who in the parent-teacher meetings said that "individual reading would ger her great boobs" Her father was all for it after that but she had to explain she meant a Great Boost

5. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I know plenty who do, and they're good at it too.

6. Magiens Materialis Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I know a girl who plays the final fantasy games and d2 and I'll talk to her about playing bg2, I think she'll want to try it. But its true, girls who play video games are very rare.

7. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I think I just may have(what a miracle if it's true) found a girl at my school today who is into computer games and EVEN D&D. That would be amazing so I hope she really is. That would mean good times for me. :cool: Oh and I think that the "popular topic" thing or whatever should be based on the number of posts compared to the other posts and not an actual set amount. Forgive me if it is but it doesn't seem that way.

8. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

My sister and cousin plays RPGs, but they get bored really quickly. The only thing that attracts them is the plot, so games with quality storylines like Final Fantasy maximize their attention span.

They do not try to "master" the game for fighting-type games like Tekken. And they don't seem very persistent in gaining experience or powergaming. I guess girls aren't as obsessed about getting everything in the game as myself and some other guys.

9. Deepsea Anglerfish Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

i rarely see girls play rpgs in my country, they play all sorts of games but not rpgs, i knew girls play ball games, car racing, fighting games (lot of girls play GGXX, those characters are cute), shooting...etc but not rpgs... i even know girls who play h games (just to enjoy the nice CGs and not the h scenes of couse) butjust a small proportion
    people like me who play rpgs only are treated as geek
    ...yeah i'm a geek :D v

10. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I've been playing D&D games for almost a year now and at first I thought it was definitely a guy thing.....until I started a new job at a telecom software company, about a month ago. I was quite surprised to find out that it was the women who were avid D&D gamers, not the guys. Go figure. ;)

11. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I don't know many female gamers either. Some prefer Tekken and the like. They don't seem to like long games like CRPGs. One has actually finished all the Tomb Raider games. But most of the female gamers I see play Counterstrike and they kick major ass.

12. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I've met some girl gamers, but not very many. It takes a certain mindset (not intelligence, mind you, more like alignment) to play computer games. I've also met very few PnP players (though one girl I knew got me to bring her to the PnP game one night to scope out a guy -- she later married him.)

My wife won't try BG1 or 2. She's scared that she'll get addicted -- like me!

13. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    [​IMG] Yes, me :)

14. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

If I found a female gamer at school I think I'd die of shock. If I found anyone at all who played PnP in Queensland I think I'd die of shock.

15. Rea Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Last time I checked, I was a girl and I love RPGs, paper and computer. I'm currently immersed in downloading every mod I can for BGII. I think as more computer games allow you to play a female hero, more women might be attracted. I've always disliked playing male characters because half of the fun of RPGs is identifying and building a biography for a character.

16. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I'd appreciate it if I met a single girl who plays d&d ;)

17. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Well, I am a female and I have played computer games all my life. I would play PnP, too, if I had people to play wiith (social outcast and all that).
    I love D&D and I have even been on one of those "Work Experience" thiongs in a store that specialitzes in RPG supplies.
    And I, too, like Tekken. Beating the living daylights out of someone is FUN!
    I do not actively play chess, but I have won more often than lost when I have played, not that it really has anything to do with the topic.

What I would like to say is that what imho discourages grls and women from gaming is the lack of positive female roles in games. What do we hvae? Lara Croft? Sure, she's independent and kicks ass and all that, but she's also a sex object. Would the games be as successful as they were is she were ugly as sin? I don't think so.
    Many females like the Final Fantasy games because of the strong female roles (I don't, I hate most of the FF chicks... You don't want me to start on it) and the BG games because you can choose the gender of the protagonist and let's face it, the female NPCs "prodd buttock".

Oh well, I'll rant some more at a later ate.

(the *guess what word would be censored?* is back)

18. Crashta Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Ima chicky and I love Bg2.. ive not got to play the first one yet.. but Irenicus is me fav villan.. hes just so philosophical, you cant hate that guy! well i cant.

19. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Well... Indy Jones isn't? Just about any less than repulsive character is a sex object no matter the gender. You should see the other forums for Anomania - this one is thankfully free of it.

Besides, Lara is a sex object mainly because 'she's independent and kicks ass and all that' ;) . If only she could see her feet when she looks down :rolleyes:

20. Istari of Thay Banned

Yes...
    Yes they do...

Take 8people, or Arabwel,
    or Rallymama for example...

Or... Faragon... Mua ha ha ha haaa...
    Just kiddin'!!! ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.