1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Death to Legolas

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Apothetai, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Saruman Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I like him in the book, but not in the movie, he looks pretty gay with his blonde hair and stuff...I hate actually hate elves and like drow.

2. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Nior, i may be wrong but i'm positive bilbo left on frodo's coming of age, which i think is about 30 or 33. And frodo leaves the shire when he is about 50 (i think) So still nearly 20 years.

But of course, i may be wrong, i was a bit sleepy when i read the first couple of chapters.

Agreed, Fellowship has enough story for a 6 hour movie in itself, but why compromise. In my opinion, some of those extra details (such as Tom Bombadil and the woods with the evil trees, whatever they were called) are quite important.

3. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Bilbo turns 111 when he leaves the Shire for good. Frodo shares his same Birthday turning age 33 on that day. I'm not sure it's quite that long before he leaves the Shire. I know its seems like years but its stuck way back in my mind. I would have to re-read.

[ December 04, 2002, 07:56: Message edited by: Frog ]

4. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Take the humour for what it is please.

The fact that you think of Legolas as "gayish" is not because he is so, but because your own insecurity in the matter. Elves are a beautiful and graceful species. Their males are not big and brawny and powerful (handsome), but thin and beautiful. It is typical than a young elf male would appear somewhat feminine compared to the human male. As far as his blonde hair goes, I don't remember what the case was in the books. But a blonde hair-colour was the most common one amongst elves, the darker shades were very rare.

As for the "go all the way" idea. I was originally thinking the very same thing. But the fact remains that a movie (as Jackson said) cannot be exactly the same as the book. By the producer it was stated that this would be divided into 3 parts (thank the gods for that, originally it was to be 2), and a 6h movie would be too long, so it would make 6 parts minimum if the movie were to be made that accurrately. Even FoTR was too long according to far too many who watched it. And these too many people bring too much potential money in to be ignored. Besides, take what Jackson himself said (freely quoted): "the movie is not about the book, but about the story in the book... while making the Fellowship of The Ring, it quickly became obvious (due to the huge amount of material they had, that had to be cut for the cinematic version) that the only, the essential thing told in it MUST be the story of Frodo and the ring, all else is secondary", "while Tom Bombadil was an interesting character, he was in no way essential to the story of the ring itself, even though he might have been an important character of the Middle Earth", and "it was obvious that the movie should not only be made for the fans, but actually be able to reach the casual audience, giving them a taste of what the Lord of The Rings is about as well". When you think of that, you realise what and why is (will be) lacking. Both in FoTR, and the future TT and RoTK.

When I changed my view in light of that, I did understand that this is the best and only way. And in that, the movie succeeded beyond all expectations. Btw, in case it wasn't mentioned here yet, if you have the EE DVD.. With disks 1&2, go to the last selectable chapter, and press down from there. First DVD will contain the MTV-Award version of Elrond's Secret Council meeting (somewhat blasphemous, but very fun). Second will contain a couple of minutes "soon to come" -video of the Two Towers. The latter one is really interesting, showing many -not spoiling- interesting things about TT that were not seen in the Teaser or Cinematic trailer of the movie.

5. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Intentioner, my mistake about Frodo left Shire at 33, he was 33 when Bilbo left the Shire.

You know what this "time issue" had made me think? That if Tolkien had made Frodo left the Shire the way Jackson did, Strider and Boromir would actually be teen-agers in the fellowship. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

6. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

It just struck me yesterday but doesn't legolas (Bloom) resemble that Justin (my @ss) Timberlake a lot?

If that is so you have to admit he is a little gayish :p in looks only, never the way he acts.

7. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

[​IMG] Up with Aragorn, the sexiest beast to ever grace our screens! :eek:

8. MagnusMagus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

My only problem with the movie was that they left out most of the songs.
    Farewell we call to hearth and hall,
    Though wind may blow and rain may fall,
    We must away ere break of day,
    Far over wood and mountain tall.

To Rivendell where elves yet dwell,
    In glades beneath the misty fell,
    Through moor and waste we ride in haste,
    And wither then we cannot tell.

With foes ahead, behind us dread,
    Beneath the sky shall be our bed,
    Until at last our toil be passed,
    Our journey done, our errand sped.

9. Farthy Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

[​IMG] I ABSOLUTELY CONCUR!!!

Legolas, at least in the movie, is the target of way too much obssession. Why the hell does everyone love him so much (as well as other elves)...Well, I have an interesting theory. Elves are THIN, TALL, SEXY, GRACEFUL, SMART, and SHARP-EARED - everything that us humans (or whatever you are) want but can never achieve. That's the reason in a recent Sorcerer's poll most peoples' favorite race in D&D were elves. A "joe elf" is an embodiment of all you want but cannot get. I used to like them, but the obssession with them is getting plain stupid. For this reason, I propose a start a pro-orc movement... :)

Legolas is overexaggerrated onscreen. He aims as he wants and always hits, ALWAYS hits, never misses. That is not realistic if you ask me. Although the film isn't supposed to be realistic, he defies the laws of physics!! He, for crying out loud, STABS people with arrows. If you knew some people I do, then you would believe that those people who can't get enough of 'em are essentially worshipping elves as gods, and Legolas is the God of the gods. And another thing, if they heard him sing in the movie like he does in the books, then he ain't no god no more.

DISCLAIMER: I have nothing against elves or Orlando Bloom, only the people that immortalize them. I also think "Death to Legolas" is going too far, but I may change my opinion after Two Towers comes out. :)

[ December 13, 2002, 09:26: Message edited by: Farthy ]

10. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Well, I would say that it would be quite easy to stab someone with an arrow, retract arm, thrust arm. Simple, no?

11. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Aikanaro: About physics he said, and were he talking about real arrows, he'd be right.

Arrows aren't some steel-enhanced pipes that go through anything like knife through hot butter. Human bone structure is strong enough to pretty much crack the arrow in half if you just try to stick it in by holding the shaft with your hands. You see, when you shoot an arrow, it strikes in with a high-speed, and the weightpoint is in the tip. And even then, it may crack in half because the shaft can't take the pressure. If you push it through someone's head, the weightpoint is in the back of the arrow, and the shaft will have to take the full pressure of the strike. Which means, it'll break. And have you ever tried to hold something as small and delicate as an arrow, and stick it through a hardy substance without gaining much momentum or speed? The hardy substance (if it is as hard as it should) can at such a low speed offer enough resistance to make your hand slip from the weak grip that you can have over such a small thing. These are all facts.

But then there's the other thing. This is middle earth, the characters even in the books are not supposed to be wholly realistic. Or the events. And assuming they were, then who's to say that Legolas' elven crafter arrows weren't strong enough to actually enable him to do the feat? Besides, I actually remember him to hit the creature in the neck with his arrows.. neck is soft enough for any ordinary human to manage the feat as well. Then again, I don't remember how tough/soft orcs actually were in the Middle Earth. Usually tougher than other beings.

12. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Considering an orcs throat isn't made from iron :rolleyes: I think the feat would be possible, those elven arrows are probably made of 'really' strong wood.

13. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Or it could have gone in through the orcs eye...
    But anyway, thats besides the point realy

14. Mortensen Banned

Legolas in the movie is GORGEOUS! :love: I actually looked at the actor's website and he's a really ugly guy without the wig :nolike:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.