1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

For the Old Farts

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Blackthorne TA, Jul 23, 2001.

1. The Wise The Grey Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I remember the day that my parents brought home our BETA player, after being suckered into buying it at a Sears. I remember making sure not to step on the tin tabs from the tops of my parents' beer cans. I remember our 13 cannel TV with the coat hanger antenna. I'm just as familiar with vinyl albums as I am with CD's (my dad has a collection of 1000+ records).

I was born on January 22nd, 1980. But, I grew up very fast, and I always watched and did what my folks were doing. You may think I'm too young to appreciate wome of these things, but it was a walk down memory lane for me too. Nanu nanu...

2. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I'm familiar with a lot of what BTA wrote about, but then again, I've always been somewhat interested in history. :D

(born April 11, 1984)

3. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Hey Im 16 and know a large amount about most of that stuff, most of the electronics I have used

the few I dont know

Atari my house all ways had a Comador
    no BETA
    no jordash jeans
    I have never had cable didny get a dish untill I moved a year ago
    MTV exist oops I never did listen to music
    sorry no mork

Oh well
    but then again i have the dad that used some of the old mainfraim stuff in the Smithsonian inst

4. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] It looks like I'm a member of the 'Old Fart's Club'!

I never owned a Betamax machine, but I did use one before. The output was indeed better than the initial VHS format, but Sony made the mistake of not letting other electronics companies use the format.

Almost forgot about Mork and Mindy - Nanoo Nanoo

John Lennon was killed when I was in grade 5, I remember hearing the news while I was pulling out one of my rear baby teeth.

I remember the days before twist-off caps - do you guys remember the stubby beer bottles before long neck (maybe this is just a Canadian thing)

I enjoyed Atari, but Intellivision kicked ass!

Jordache jeans - oh yeah- how about Fancy Ass or the ones that had a zipper all the way around the crotch. Us guys never got any of the cool clothing, except maybe the fake red leather jackets with tons of zippers on them. ;)

Thanks for the walk down memory lane BTA! :D

[This message has been edited by Lord Moeken (edited July 25, 2001).]

5. Relic Gems: 7/31

Moeken, I used to love Intellivision!!

This all brings back memories. I remember the very first Transformers cartoons.

And who can forget the Dukes of Hazard? Now tell me, who didn't want to own the General Lee when they grew up just so you could jump over everything in town!

6. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] ...and who can forget Daisy Duke.

And I think there's still a 12 of stubbies in my Mother's basement -- in Toronto. Carlsberg I think.

And how about Starsky and Hutch?

Or CHIPS? (An extra 10,000xp if you know what it stands for)

Umm...I think I'd better stop now. Won't be long before I start sentences with the phrase "Back in MY day..." and reminiscing about how far I had to walk through the snow to get to school...

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    CHiPs? That's too easy seeing as how I live in California! I'll let someone else give it a try. :)

8. Relic Gems: 7/31

Come on, that's too easy, and I grew up in Canada! Add onto those California Highway Patrollers the full name of Ponch, and that would be worthy of 10,000 exp.

9. Liam Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Oh gosh, do I feel old.

Chips, Starsky and Hutch, 78's, DALLAS.

Thanx for making me feel like a geezer :D

PS. Who remembers Easy Reader?

10. Killer Dwarf Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Hay you forgot about the A-Team I had a Bata and aPet PC tape loaded wow that was fast.

And what about the cartoons Speed Buggy, Space Ghost, Thundar the Barbarian with Ukla the Mok and Princess Airal.

I could go on but arthritis is creaping in fingers starting tooo hutr canghtg typen any miorre

11. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Gosh, I loved Thundar! Did he have the Star-Sword, or was that someone else?

Remember also: Battle of the Planets, Voltron (lion force), and Superfriends?

Wonder twin powers, ACTIVATE!

12. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Mathetais, just to clarify:

Thundar had a sun-sword man, a sun-sword!

Did anyone mention the Trojanoids yet? They sound like a condom brand. You know it was part of the same show as space-ghost, had Gloop and Gleep the fighting Schmoo-things? Hmm, now that I think about it, they kind of looked like condoms....

13. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Thunder was the Sun Sword. I loved in the intro how they said "In 1994 a runaway planet passing between the earth and the moon." It's kind of funny looking at it 20 years later. And the Space Ghost voice over they did a fews years back were great. If you like the old cartoons how about Star Blazers or G-Force and of course Robotech?

14. Killer Dwarf Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Speaking of the sun-sword

Remember Hanks Bow from the AD&D cartoon?

But the portability if Thundar’s sword was the best i think. :)

15. Voltric Gems: 19/31

Good call with the AD&D cartoon bow. I'd love to have unlimited magic arrows and no bow string to worry about but as you said you can't clip it on your wrist like Thundar's lightsabor, err, I mean _sun-sword_.

I loved the mage's hat from the cartoon as well. Remmember the tiem it actually worked. :D

16. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

LOL.

That cartoon was the reason I played a ranger for years. Wanted to be Hank. Now that the memory of Bobby has faded, I can play a cavelier without being a cowardly jerk!

(Thanks Darien - the Fount of all wisdom! I just had the whiney voice of the thief/acrobat in my head saying, "Bobby, come on!")

[This message has been edited by Mathetais (edited August 01, 2001).]

17. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Actually, Bobby was a little barbarian. Eric was the cowardly jerk. :D

18. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Weren't the thief and Acrobat two different characters? I remember one girl having a hood that made her invisible and the other having the staff that extended. God, if i can remember their names.

Darien you seam to be the expert on this cartoon who were the party members?

19. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] In the spirit of the old farts page...MTV turned 20 today! Ugghh!!! The sad part is that I remember when they played the first video.....Now I really feel old! :(

All my friends were over the night it started: The test pattern, then the announcement: "Ladies and Gentlemen, Rock and Roll..." then the Buggles with "Video Killed the Radio Star" (or something like that, my mind is beginning to go...)

Which reminds me: I miss the hour rocket, and MTV actually playing videos.

20. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Back in the day when the only non-video thing on was Remote Control. There is nothing like the wheel to show you know your music videos!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.