1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Gather around, give me strength

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by teekc, Jan 30, 2003.

1. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

i felt playful just now so i downloaded Google into my school's PC and perform search on 'teekc'. It returns 4 pages of result. Mostly about the Icewind Dale 2 faq i wrote. As i went through the search result, i found out that there are several websites that posted my faq without at least notifying me.

One particular serious case is some guy edited my work as his/hers and posted in edbis.com forum. The admin. of the forum 'Corax' replied "very well done" or something to the topic. What makes me boil is that edbis.com did sent me email for permission to post way back in August. The person who sent this mail was 'Corax'. :mad:

Should i went through each website that posted my work without notifying me and tell them to take it off? i feel kind of like "praying mantis using its arms to stop a car" -- making futile attempt.

Could someone give me some strength here, like what they did in Dragon Balls?

2. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    It certainly can't hurt to try, although I don't think I'd expect much. Good luck!

3. GreyCrow Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Go for it!

If that doesn't work, at least ask for the credit that you are due. Something like, originally from "teekc" Edited/stolen by "Corex"

I have two sayings I like, both for my charcters and myself "I will not be denied" and "I have been denied"

Try to work with the first one. If things don't go so well learn to use the second.

Either way, "May the Gods show favor upon your cause." :D

4. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Nothing you can do I'm afraid.

There're no laws to aid you, and even if you could prove that it was made by you, I don't think the ones responsible for all that will really care. Don't give anything to the internet community if you've a desire to get credit for yourself. The place is full of idiots, as seen in many cases before. And there's no way to get to those idiots.

Of course you could and probably should bring the matter up and make it "public" on boards related to the sites and people in question. But as had been said here already, don't expect any world-shattering results out of it.

5. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Tal's said how Sorcerers is always getting ripped off. That's just life i'm afraid.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Another case of ripping SP off happened just two days ago. (That I noticed, that is, I'm sure there are many others.)

Some startup site stole the scanned NWN map that Slappy sent in and posted it as their own. They took it down after I asked them for at least a link back to SP (because it was just that one item I'd let it slip with just a link back, otherwise I'd have them remove it all). But no, they took it down, only with no link back and an uppity attitude in mail back to me, telling me to grow up and be professional, and that I have no rights to the image anyway because BioWare made it. Yes, you read right, the guy who stole something off SP telling me that.

Of course, he denies that the image came from SP. Even when it was identical to the byte in size. Slappy sent it in bigger and I resized it for use on SP, and it was a scan of the UK map that he made himself, so you see it's impossible to refute the proof that it came from SP and nowhere else. But this didn't really piss me off that much, a dozen sites have taken liberties with our content over the years. But ALL of them admitted it and either removed it or linked back to SP. But this pathetic little prick had the audacity to lie back into my face that the image was "*NOT* taken from your site", even after being presented with proof that it was. This is what pissed me off.

So you see, you either have to be on alert for content stealers all the time, and argue with thieves constantly, or simply give up.

7. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Just adding my sympathy vote. I'm not aware of anyone ripping me off online on anything that I have put much effort into. I expect it would make me angry though. I have no problem with people using anything I have done for recreational purposes but would like to see my name left on anything I write or design.

I have had people copying my professional work and that has been very annoying and/or amusing. It's quite funny (in a bad way) when a student copies some of my work then hands it in to be assessed by me! Client's nicking my diagrams and passing them off as their own is a pain as well.

Anyway, back to the point. You do still own the copyright on the walkthrough/guide that you have written. As the copyright holder you can decide who gets to do what with it. Whether they are making money out of it or not is irrelevant. (Depending on where you are there may be some exceptions. For example in the UK you can 'infringe' copyright for purely educational purposes but the exact definitions are vague). So you could use that angle if you haven't already. The difficulty comes in proving it and the hassle of taking it further. I haven't got time now but there are articles and advice on the web about your copyrights if you want to take a look. Or just wait for one of our legal qualified posters to comment.

PS before anyone points it out, I am aware of the irony of me talking about copyright after Tal posted about me scanning the NWN map for Sorcerer's :)

8. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Mailbombs!!

maybe a new worm named Sorcerersrevenge_win32 starting DDOS attack against the baddies

[ January 30, 2003, 19:42: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That wouldn't teach them not to lie and steal, would it?

10. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

First case settled.

11. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Vengence is MINE sayeth the Sorcerer! :evil:

Seriously ... good luck getting credit. Just take it as a compliment. Yours was the best work out there, so they chose to "adopt" it.

Wait a sec ... how do we know you wrote it in the first place ....

12. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

*Sigh* ...Idiots to every start... Good that the Acrobat users can lock the content of their work behind a password. No editing, or partial copying, that way.

Hopefully they *really* take that stolen work down. Otherwise you could try to contact their ISP. Not much hope there, but worth a try.

Umm... Password... protection... page 149... or 121... or 45... or...

[ January 30, 2003, 22:11: Message edited by: Virne ]

13. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'm pretty surprised that Tal missed to mention some other "no prob, we'll just steal it from SP" from the past.
    teekc, it's pretty simple, if I found out that something was taken away without my permission and normal communication wouldn't give "fruits", the copycat would simply be brought in front of the community. Not only SP community.

[ February 03, 2003, 21:25: Message edited by: Extremist ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.