1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Planet of the Apes

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Athalon, Aug 7, 2001.

1. Athalon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Hey. I just wanna know. Is the new Planet of the Apes worth watching. The trailer makes it attractive "#1 Movie in America" and "Outdoes the first one". But my friend says it totally sucks. He, my other friend, and I were about to sneak in :D to see it right after watching Rush Hour 2, but then he said he saw it before and it totally sucked. Those of you who saw it, was it good?

2. bongo tjockskalle Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I liked it!
    Tim Burton is one of the best americam film makers today.

It is not his best work but it is well done.

To bad that he had to please a certain faction in USA (had been banned otherwise) and therefore had to cut in the movie and change a part of the script.
    America, land of the free, huh!
    (not concerning film making and the vocal moral minority anyway)

keep on bouncing

3. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Bongo, what did they cut out?

I thought the movie was good...The ending was a little cheesy, but they're priming for a sequel. Although the makeup and FX were far superior, it didn't come close to the original...IMHO

I also saw Jurassic Park 3 Sunday night...Save your money!! The dinosaurs are cool (as always), but cool FX can't make up for a piss poor story. It was totally weak! The best part was seeing Laura Dern again...I've had a crush on her since "Mask."

4. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Hey Athalon,

If you could sit through Rush Hour 2 I can't imagine you'd have too many problems with POA.

5. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I couldn't have said it better! :D

6. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

its not a very good movie, and it certainly does not outdo the original. plus i really hate mark walberg, so that makes my opinion that much worse, not to mention that there a isnt a decent actor except for tim roth.

7. Athalon Gems: 5/31

Well since most of you said it was a good movie. I guess Ill be watching it with my friends the next weekend. :) Thanks for the advice

8. bongo tjockskalle Gems: 3/31

to
    Sir Belisaurius (are you a strategy gamer?)

I know of some things that had to go, for example it was supposed to be a mutual interrest between the spaceman and Ari.

As you understand that was not looked upon with joy in some groups with good connections.

What to expect when they have cancelled teaching of Darwinian evolution in some states.

It is hard to compare the new movie with the old classic since they are of a different genre.
    the first movie must bee seen in the light of the cold war and the climate of that day.
    Its a fable.

Credit to tim burton for not just making a new version of the old movie but instead trying to make something else.

bongo

9. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I enjoy a good Scragety game!!! LOL! I really love those tactical squad level games like the first 2 X-Com games.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the new PoA...I just think Charlton Heston was perfect for that flick!

10. bongo tjockskalle Gems: 3/31

You know that charlton heston is in the new movie, as an ape this time!

"Get your hands of me you stinking apes!"

as hanging caught in a net

bongo

(longing for Moo3, Im the galactic kind of guy)
    bongo

11. Guenhwyvar Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

All classic movies are better than the remakes, for some reason

12. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

yeah i agree, classics are always better, same thing with sequels, the first one is ususally best.

13. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] I liked the movie, the effects and costumes were cool, but what is going on with the ending. *spoiler* :)

Is it just me, or does the ending make no sense at all. If Mark Walberg travels back in time to get back to earth then doesn't it mean that Thade (or any of the 'improved' apes for that matter) never existed? So how could he replace Lincoln at the memorial. Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but I thought the ending was a little too silly and unrealistic.

14. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31

Yeah, the ending has more holes than a cartoon cowboy after a shootout.

After I saw it with my friends, we all just agreed that the ending had never occurred. The movie wrapped up and that was that.

15. Athalon Gems: 5/31

He replaced the Lincoln memorial! Shit man! Thats kickin' lame. What a lame ending. Well, i guess ill still watch it

16. Eurythmic King of Nowhere Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Its definitely worth the 6.50 I payed for it. I dont wanna spoil any of it. But just sort of a critique.
    Make-Up: 9.5 Some of them coulda been dressed better
    Scenery Set-up: 10
    Story (climax, plot, etc..): 6
    Value: 10
    I still think the ending was lame.

17. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

[​IMG] Bah I thought the movie was pretty crappy in most respects. Plot holes you can drive through and not just the ending. The whole Dues Ex Machina style ending was total crap. And the whole fact they went to Earth's past. Just when I thought they did something clever, having seen the original and knowing they went to the future, I figured they got there at far different times by being knocked towards Earth at different relativistic speeds, they completely ruin it by having them in Earth's past. What a load of crap.

Heres a great review of it: http://www.bigempire.com/filthy/planetoftheapes.html

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited August 08, 2001).]

18. Gormenghast Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Hasn't come out in Australia!
    I will probably go and see it! :D

19. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Call me a nut, but I'm a sucker for any movie like this. My wife refused to go, so I had to see the 11:45 pm showing with some friends. It was great.

On the ending - can you say "Welcome to the Simian Multiverse"!?!?

Gotta see the next movie to figure it all out! ;)

20. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] 'Simian Multiverse' I suppose if I stretch my brain enough it could believe in anything ;)

It seems that the electromagnetic anomaly was indeed a fold in time-space. Who can dispute the handy dandy digital time read-out that is posted on the spacecraft's dash board! :rolleyes:
    Interesting that the anomaly was calibrated in such a way that both Walberg and the lost monkey arrive in ape-land at almost exactly the same time.

I think one of my favorite scenes was the romantic interlude between the fat mayor orangutan and his young wife. LOL!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.