1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Should I play BG???

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Donkey, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Donkey Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] I have played BGII and its expansion...Now,I was wondering if I should try to play BG...Does it have anything different to offer???
    Is it more challenging than BGII???

2. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

You definetly should, cause you meet people you played with in BG II, although most cannot be played with in BG II, Like Xzar, Quayle and some more.
    It has an interesting story line, for my opinion a better one than BG II has.

And if you get the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion, and you install some mods, you have a real good experience with BG

3. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

You can also take your character all the way from the beginning (BGI) to the end of the story (BGII: ToB), which is loads of fun. :)

4. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

You'll probably not like the graphics and inabilty to change the screen resolution. But the Bg tutu mod fixes that.

5. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    i find the graphics far better in BG1 compared with SoA.

you may find it more difficult to play having played BG 2, in BG1 you start out as a 1st level character which can be killed by an arrow, takes a bit of time to level yourself up, but i find the first installment to be the best of the series

6. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I find that question on this board about similar to go into a church and ask if you should become a christian...

Of corse you should play :)

7. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Yes!

BG1 is a better game imho.

8. Warduke Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The NPC interaction is better in BG2 then the original. But other then that I like the first one better then the second.

9. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

I second raptor's comment! :) Definitely play it! It's what got this whole craze started!

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Only play BG1 if you don't want to play BGII again with a different character / mod etc.

BG1 is a much more frustrating game than BGII because you have to wander around aimlessly in the wilderness a lot more just to clear black space from your map in case there is anything there. The graphics and the interface feel corny compared to BGII and later games. It is also really hard at the start of the game because your character is such a weaner at level 1. You may find you miss the more varied character creation options available in BGII (like kits).

One good thing about BGI is that there are far less of the ridiculously overpowered magic items that you trip over at every turn in BGII.

I personally liked Icewind Dale II better than BG1 but nobody else here would agree with me.

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

tsk :p

probably not ;)

Play it. It's worth it. Besides, the opening cinematic alone is WAY better than SoA's. But take into consideration what everyone here is saying. If you don't have the patience to wander lots of areas, watch your chars and foes swinging at each other like there's no tomorrow (and missing more often than not) or do battle with 1 magic missile, then you may not enjoy it.

12. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Play. It.

It's got an entirely different atmosphere. Way less "fantastical" than BG II. And it grows slower, but the climax, oh that end battle. Actually I thought it was more intense than BG II, for some reason.

As HB said, it's probably better if you start with a new char.

13. Newfie Banned

It was great introduction to computer D&D. There is more of a roaming category to it than BG2, exploring areas to find simpler quests. It has a better feel to it than BG2, but I can't say it is a better game. Some of the gameplay is a little screwed now (the spawning kobolds, the bandit archers...) but is definitely worth playing. Remember the city of Baldur's Gate is a bit overwhelming at first, but you'll catch on. It also has one of the greatest intro movies to a game I ever played in terms of plot development. And the plot that starts to reveal itself when you hit BG City is fantastic.

14. Dranalis DeAealth

Dranalis DeAealth Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc Veteran

It is basically a great game. The fact that the graphics look pre-modern nowadays shouldn't detract from that. I'd say it was a lot harder than BG, and in many instances, the plot is slightly superior. Although considering the fact the whole 'big shocker' of the thing is that you're a child of Bhaal, it may all be a bit wasted on someone who has played BG II.

15. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Play it.

Darn there is some echo here ;)

Well I'd say that you will enjoy it a lot. Consider taking a character right from the very beginning of the story (in Candlekeep) and go all the way to TOB...

And I'd recommend BGtutu, it allows you to play BG1 with the interface and the rules of BG2... and it works really fine (I'm playing it now and I have a good time with my level 1 jester...)

Just go for it!

16. Lord Foul Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well, I was having a similar question as the person who started this topic. I guess I'll go through with it myself and buy the original game! Indeed; it does sound awesome to take one character all the way from the first game to ToB.

By the way: are there any other essential mods for BG1, aside from BGtutu?

17. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

18. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I find BGI a much more challenging game. I think the story is better too.

As for graphics and interface/playability, ect., BGII is much better.

19. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

I have to agree.

The first time I ran BGII, my first reaction to the interface was UGH! It took me almost a week to get over it. It also seems like they're reaching a little too far to give you more at the higher levels. (HLA, etc.)

20. Dranalis DeAealth

Dranalis DeAealth Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc Veteran

Do you mean BG I there, Felinoid?

In any case, it always takes a while to adjust to new interfaces.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.