1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: SW: You Don't Realize The POWER of the Dark Side

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Big B, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] "You don't realize the power of the dark side. I must obey my master." -Darth Vader to Luke

Think back to the end of ROTJ on the Death Star, when Vader saves Luke from the Emperor. The Emperor arcs his force lightning back at Vader and then we hear his breathing getting worse, and not long after he dies.

Is it because the lightning ruined his life support? Or something more, in addition to that?

And here's my speculation:

"I will even learn to stop people from dying." - Anakin

The dark side is powerful. Perhaps it can be used to stop people from dying, in a perverse way I'm sure. I mean we know Anakin's going to get messed up bad, very near death. The theory is Palps revives him, helps him become big daddy DV.

What if this requires some link through the dark side? What if Vader is linked through the dark side to Palpatine?

Wouldn't this be the ultimate insurance for Palps? A Sith Lord that can't overtake his Master because his life is dependent on him. Palps thinks he has it figured out, thinks he has taken care of the nature of the Sith, their one weakness of trying to overthrow each other.

This would be cool because at the end of ROTJ we realize, Vader is willing to give up his life, to save Luke. I mean there's no doubt, about it. If he kills Palps, he's going to die too. Which leads to this:

But you say, "Then why did Vader try to recruit Luke in Cloud City, if not to overthrow Palpatine? Why would Vader try to overthrow someone who's existence he depends on?"

Well, it could be that Vader thinks Luke is suitable for the job. Once Luke turns to the dark side, Vader reasons that he can take the Emperor's place (in terms of creating that dark side link with Vader, in order to keep him alive). Even as a Sith, I'm sure that Vader trusts his own son, more than Palps.

However, by the end of ROTJ it is obvious to Vader that Luke will never turn to the dark side. So there goes that. And it all comes down to saving himself or saving his son. And we all know his choice.

So what do you think?

Do you think this idea is plausible? Whack? Or what?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 25 user(s) have voted.
    Voting starts at October 07, 2002 06:02 board time.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: SW: You Don't Realize The POWER of the Dark Side (25 votes.)

SW: You Don't Realize The POWER of the Dark Side (Choose 1)
    * Of course! I have thought this all along. - 16% (4)
    * No, lightning destroys life support-nothing more, nothing less - 16% (4)
    * This is a great idea. - 52% (13)
    * Undecided. - 16% (4)

2. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    If you don't work for Lucas films Big B, maybe you should reapply :)

3. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Urr, if you don't mind me asking Big_B, what's your bedroom, like?... Is it covered in SW merchandise...

4. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Um, I am not a Star Wars fanatic or anything, but wasn't overthrowing the emperor the act that would turn Luke to the dark side? So he would kinda side-step the link. He wouldn't be betraying the dark side, as he wasn't on the Dark side at the time, so Vader's link would not have mattered.
    If Luke joined Vader, THEN overthrew the emperor, Vader's link to Palp would cause him grief because he helped Luke overthrow his master.

But if Luke overthrew the emperor, joining the dark side in the process, all Vader have had to do was make himself conveniently "unavailable" when Palp was cast down by Luke, then say "OMG! My son has overthrown my boss!". Then they could rule the galaxy together.

P.S. His tempting of Luke early on was just to "feel him out" and try to judge how willing Luke would be to do it. He didn't seriously expect Luke to take him up on it then and there, he just wanted to give him something to think about. If Luke had actually joined Vade at that moment, Vader would probably have killed him.

[ October 07, 2002, 19:21: Message edited by: Nutrimat ]

5. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Remember in the Thrawn trilogy (yeah, I know that they are not Lucas' work, but they agree with Big B) Thrawn is telling his underling general that the Emporer had linked with all his troops and that is why they were so coordinated in battle. After his death, the troops became unorganized and that was why the Battle of Endor was a loss for the Empire.

He probably linked with Vader too, so it makes sense. In any case, whether or not they had a mental link, the lightning would have damaged the breathing mechanism pretty badly.

6. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I'll quote Triumph the Insult Comic dog for this one [he says it as a reply to a big nerd dressed as a stormtrooper who says 'I am a stormtrooper.'

7. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Man, B.

I dunno about all that. I guess I just don't think heavily on it.

Maybe Anakin just cracked, and started associating the Emperor as his father/mentor.

I think Anakin just had a tramautic event, and cracked...

8. Mother T Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Again, not from a Lucusfilms but in one of the star wars books (or comics) mentioned is the fact that the emperor had to clone himself because of the detrimental side effects of the dark side of the force which causes the body to decay.

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Regardless of whether they were linked or not the lightening would still screw up Darth's life support.

10. Teensabre Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

That is pretty darn good observation, and I was on the SW Mess-up site (sorry, forgot URL) with loads of mistakes they made in the film, maybe you could contact them!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.