1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

"KFC" formerly known as "Kentucky Fried Chicken"

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by nior, May 27, 2002.

1. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG]

this may be old but it is still unclear to me. or simply put... i want some proof. although i don't usually eat at KFC.

a friend e-mailed me saying that the food chain formerly known as "Kentuky Fried Chicken" change it's name to "KFC" simply because what they used aren't exactly chicken, i repeat... they are not exactly chicken. according to the e-mail, it's "genetic chicken" and the U.S. government (not sure about this) forbid them to use the word "chicken" in any of KFC's merchandise items, advertisements, and even menu. in short they cannot use the word "chicken" because they are not using real chicken.

i heard about this before, several months ago but i didn't really give it any attention. but the issue came back again. how true is this stuff? just a curious question. and no intention of offending anybody who might be connected with KFC in anyway.

2. Christopher_Lee Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

EU had a similar thing, they weren't going to let Cadburys call their chocolate "chocolate" (had to be called "chocolate substitute" or something...). Mind you, that wasn't cos of manky GM stuff...

3. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I think that to sell in Europe most British chocolate has to be called "Family Chocolate", because it has a much higher fat content and lower chocolate content than mainland European chocolate.

4. the god Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] always thought it was due to the company wanting to distance themselves from (being widely-regarded as) selling only chicken.

:chicken:

5. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] It tastes like chicken...But then again, so does everything else!

6. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Actually, I heard they changed their name to remove 'Fried' from the title, to keep up with the times. They figured they would draw in a more health concious consumer base.

Remember in the late 80's early 90's when McDonalds changed their menu all around and started including things like frozen yogurt and the <cringe> McDLT? Same reason.

7. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

"Take chicken, for example. Maybe the machines couldn't figure out what chicken tasted like, which is why chicken tastes like everything..."

--The Mouse, in "Matrix"

8. the god Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

maybe all three words are no longer relevant- in addition to the above points, there may be very little on the menu at present which originated in kentucky?

9. C'Jakob Guest

An urban legend surrounding the change was the KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken back then, of course) developed chickens with up to eight legs and extra-large breasts so as to get more meat per chicken. The government decided that those "chickens" could not be labeled as chickens, so the company had to change its name. Of course, urban legends aren't true, but it does stave off eating that chicken patty for lunch. Another rumor was that a psychic predicted changing the name to KFC would bring good fortune. Another one, as previously stated by Damona, was that they wanted the word "Fried" out of the picture. Yet another one was that the state Kentucky had patented the word "Kentucky", so the fast-food company had to change its name. Not sure why they really changed, though.

[This message has been edited by C'Jakob (edited May 27, 2002).]

10. parrotheada1a Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

They shoulda changed the name to Kentucky Fried Pigeon. Last time I ate there the pieces of bird I got were sooooo small. Too small even for duck or pheasant, yet bigger than your average sparrow or spotted owl. :grin:
    I found a place around here that sells Broaster chicken. Still fried but more chicken, less breading and much better taste.
    :happy:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.