1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Alignment

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Sarevok•, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

If you read the PHB many times, than you probably would have seen the part on alignment.

Seems pretty explicit to me.

In my opinion, if you are looking at alignment from the D&D perspective, there is a uniform view defined by whatever game you're playing (BG2 definition of neutral is probably different from ToEE definition of neutral). But then it's really just 2E vs. 3E.

(The definition above was 3E, btw)

[ February 03, 2004, 03:54: Message edited by: Oaz ]

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Eh, the definition was similar to the 2E one, only the 2E one had a separate entry for each alignment.

Those are very general. They explicitly say that altruism is good and so is respect for life, while killing is evil and so on. But it's not like a really exhausting description.

And neither is:

I don't see CG rangers making promises they're not going to keep. I don't see LE whomever judging those who fall short of their duties, rather some form of tyranny. Surely not a moral drive to fulfill obligations and honour commitments. At least not in many cases.

Not killing and not openly breaking promises makes you LG as much as praying to Ilmater when it hurts makes you Ilmatari ;)

3. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

How on earth did you guys manage to get into this discussion?

4. Seayer

Seayer In giving to another, you benefit yourself Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

cn or g, I am I am!!! :p

5. Darhken Rahl Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

True Neutral

6. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Okay, you realize that the PHB does have a separate entry for each alignment, right? There is also a separate entry for each alignment in the Wizards.com website.

If 2E description of alignment is like that in BGII, then I would say that the 3E description of alignment has certainly changed (in 3E, neutral characters don't necessarily uphold a balance; chaotic neutral characters don't do random things).

I said explicit. The PHB strictly defines what is good, evil, lawful, and chaotic. If you want an exhausting description, just read more on the PHB, and move onto the BOVD and BoED.

In my opinion, such rangers who kept promises even if they didn't feel like it, or tyrants who didn't judge people who fell short of duties wouldn't be chaotic or lawful (respectively). But for humans, alignment isn't a straightjacket. Interpret that one as you will.

7. chevalier

Media:
    Yea, and each alignment is the best one :rolleyes:

Word in word the same as in BG2.

8. Oaz Gems: 29/31

From their own perspective. :rolleyes:

9. chevalier

Media:
    It all comes down to perspective, so we may as well drop it and go get drunk :rolleyes:

10. Serpent Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] CN: I'm a psycho :p

11. Oaz Gems: 29/31

What alignment is doesn't come down to perspective. Alignment is absolute.

What you make of alignment comes down to perspective.

12. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

CN does not necessarily mean you're a psycho, just that you're an individualist to the max.

13. Valkyrie Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Chaotic good sounds fun... :D

14. chevalier

Media:
    Oaz, one cannot perceive the absolute. Perception of the absolute comes down to the limitations of the senses. Therefore, the absolute remaining in itself unaffected by our perceptions, affects us independently from our perception, it is still subject to individual, verying and subjective perception. To perceive the absolute in its true form, one needs to be perfect. Not even the DMs are. Not even the Wizards ;)

15. Oaz Gems: 29/31

[​IMG] In that case, I say that you're not a decent and moral Lawful Good person.

16. chevalier

Media:
    In whose perception of my absolute lawful goodness? :shake: :lol: :grin: :lol: ;)

17. Oaz Gems: 29/31

[​IMG] Nobody's perfect, so who's to say?

18. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    *recalls less-than-fondly the days she thought she was chaotic good*

I am proud to say that I am evil. Somewhaat between Lawful/Neutral, although many tests, including Chev's, would name me chaotic evil.

Maybe it's because I have a healthy sense of self-preservation? The only reason I won't to evil stuuff is, horror of horrors, knowledge of retribution.

*sigh*

I am a twerp. But at least I am an evil twerp.

19. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

I think that most of you who claim to be Chaotic in some sort of way would be dismayed to find that in truth you are very Lawful. True Chaotic people are very rare and typically end up institutionalized, incarcerated or venerated as Pop Stars (that's only if they find a good Manager before the two prior options!)

It does sound cool to consider that you have a Chaotic alignment, athough I think that most genuinely Chaotic people would claim that they are Lawful or Neutral. True Chaos fools everyone...even themselves. Think about it ;)

LN or TN

20. chevalier

Media:
    Hacken Slash, is your not claiming good alignment because of religious reasons?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.