1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Begun this Clone War Has

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Big B, Mar 11, 2002.

1. sorvo Guest

I'm as excited to see it as I was when STAR WARS came out;)

2. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Good points. Latest update is the new movie poster here

About the Tusken Raiders, sniping at the pods in Episode I, that's legit because the announcer says "Oh looks like we have a couple of Tusken Raiders camped around the dune turn today!" Also, you visually see the racers coming out from a dark cavern, and into a into sharp turn, bounded on both sides by a canyon wall. In other words, Tusken Raiders don't have to be accurate, they just have to know the lay of the land, which in this case, is their territory. Sure pods go hundreds of kilometers per hour, but they also have to slow down and brake when they race through dark caverns and come out into a sharp turn. It's the perfect place to "camp" and snipe if you were going to shoot at pods. You think those Tusken Raiders like pods racing in their backyard ;)? No, it disrupts their habitat :p. Look forward to some more disgruntled Tuskens in AotC.

Good guess on the krayt dragons though, but I don't think we'll ever get to see one in the movies. At least not in AotC. There are three different monsters and you get a glimpse of all three in the trailer. The whole scene involving them is going to be interesting and very symbolic.

As for the clones, I will say this. The person who orders that the clones be made does not neccessarily have to be the same person that donates DNA for the clones.

Mini-spoiler about clones>>>>

Also, it seems that the clones in this movie are genetically altered with accelerated growth. In other words, since the ten years that have passed since TPM, a certain person with a whole lot of money *cough*, has secretly ordered a clone army that can grow into young soldiers relatively fast, and be trained and armed on a remote world...hmmm now who would do such a thing? ;)

3. Slackertoast Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I'm going to keep a 'guarded' opinion about episode 2 until it comes out. Episode 1 was bad, hopefully episode 2 will be better. Theory applied to Episode 1 "Expect alot" received little is being transformed into "Expect little" hopefully receive alot.

4. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Roger that 'guarded position'.

I thought the Episode 1 trailers kicked. But after the movie, I thought they just wiped.

The trailers look totally awesome, but instead of hoping that the movie is awesome, I'm just hoping that Lucas rethought his policy.

At the very minimum, I'll wait for the reviews to come out...

5. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

You want to wait for reviews? Here's one for you :p

[Edit]

Yeah, unsurprisingly enough, it does contain spoilers. Thanks Big B ;)

[This message has been edited by Wildfire (edited March 27, 2002).]

6. Big B Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] Whoa there Wildfire, at least warn them of SPOILERS ;) before hitting that link. The beautiful thing is, is that even that Knowles spoils some in his review, he doesn't even begin to spoil it all.

Here's my two cents on some of Knowles' review, beware of some SPOILERS:

He's got his facts straight except it's obvious the names of the planets are never shown in the movie because he can't spell them to save his life. (It's Kamino not Camino, and Geonosis not Genosia; note the similarity to "geonocide" ;))

I love how he starts out making you think he's going to bash the film. Sure Jar Jar's one little silly slip up at the beginning of the film is going to make some people cringe, but it's relatively short and painless. Besides, as Knowles points out, we see the importance of Jar Jar's character become evident in this episode. The good news is, it's done with Jar Jar in the background most of his onscreen time, which is very limited, the majority of it being within the first thirty minutes of the film, to get it over with, so to speak.

Second, Knowles makes it clear he likes Obi-Wan more than Anakin. No doubt the majority of audiences will see it this way. Obi-Wan IS the king of cool in this film. Anakin is great as well, but we all know he's destined to be a punk ;). End result, if you like good guys that can kick it, you'll like Obi-Wan the best. If you like punks that go bad and who can kick it as well, than you'll like Anakin the best. Who's side will you be on in Episode III? ;)

Other points Knowles makes:

AOTC makes TPM better, it's a bridge between TPM, what is to come, and the Original Trilogy. Finally we will realize why Lucas didn't just jump into this part of the story from the beginning. We'll understand TPM's importance more clearly.

Will it get good reviews from the critics? Well the majority of critics have always been harsh on Star Wars so I say that the majority will bash it to a degree at least. One review of the trailer complained about how the story seems so complicated and that Lucas slipped by giving away a major plot point when Obi-Wan says "they are using the bounty hunter Jango Fett to build an army of clones!" Oh if only they knew what AOTC has in store for them. Is the story complicated? To a degree not much more than any past Star Wars movie, but from what I know, it is played out well, almost like a mystery.

Knowles even claims this one to be the most "entertaining" of all the Star Wars films yet. From what I know, I can see that. He's right when he says it's the point of no return. AOTC takes Star Wars to a new level. It's going to be awesome.

looks of amazement

look of triumph

so good you won't be able to stand

so good you'll call and tell everyone you know ;)

so good you'll get to a theatre however you can

so good you'll be marching to theatres

so good you'll kill anyone who talks during the movie ;)

"What Lucas has done, is to make a film that is so relentlessly entertaining and thrilling, that there will be no movie this summer that can stand against it. This is it."

I'm with him on this one. :grin:

7. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I saw the Clone Wars trailer llast Sunday, and boy was I glued to my seat, gaping, and hysteric when it ended.

Dual-wield works with lightsabers! Yay!

Ara
    (Mean, nasty, evil thing that synchronity somewhat works for)

8. Big B Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] My suspicions on how it got leaked to him are based on the producer, ol' f*ing grim Rick McCallum. That guys a nut ;).

As for Knowles' credibility, I don't know enough about him. But I do know the spoilers, and everything he says matches up. But whoever showed it to him was sure enough that he'd like it to take the risk. I myself wouldn't be this confident if I didn't know all the goodness AOTC has to offer.

You're pretty much going to have to be one big party pooper not to like this film. Sure there might be parts of it you weren't too big on, but on a whole, there is just too much goodness going on. Everyone can find something they can enjoy about it.

[This message has been edited by Big B (edited March 27, 2002).]

9. Christopher_Lee Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Before everyone gets too optimistic I have to point something out. This is the same Harry Knowles who wrotein his original TPM review (and I quote about JAr-Jar): 'MESA LOVES HIM'.

Then suddenly he realised that most people are annoyed with him and then changed his tune completely (just look what he says about JJ at the beginning of AoTC review). The man probably honestly thinks the new film is good - but that doesn't mean it IS good.

Second - this preview screeining he got is suspicious to say the least. One of the great rules in life is that nothing is an accident and that most things happen with a reason. In order to guess the reason look at the results of the action. So:

Action: Harry sees the film and writes a glowing review
    Result: Everyone starts giggling happily and sayiong things like: I can't wait to see it.
    Ultimate result: Mo Money For George.

Possibly: More Money for Harry? :money: The only thing anyone who showed him the film had to do is to make sure he writes a good review. Two ways to do that: Show him a decent film and his overenthusiasm will do the rest OR show him any kind of film and give him some additional incentive :eek:

That said, there is one reason to be optimistic: Christopher Lee is in it! :1eye:

10. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Wildfire:

Dude.

I think that review gave me wood...

11. GuarMar487 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] yea, yea. AotC is a sweet movie, best one ever, blah, blah BLAH! are you guys forgetting the 'special' cameo!!!! ONE WORD know to bring fall to many small countries...

*NSYNC!!

whose got wood now??

[This message has been edited by GuarMar487 (edited March 28, 2002).]

12. Big B Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] Good! Good! Release your anger Guar Mar. :p

If you can pinpoint NSYNC in shots like this , this , or this which would be the only type of shots that they could have a "cameo" in, then you are missing the point. Besides it's neither been confirmed officially either way if they were edited out or not.

For every one "bad" thing about Episode II you find that you didn't like, there will be ten things in it's place that you did like. There's just so much Star Wars goodness in this one.

[This message has been edited by Big B (edited March 28, 2002).]

13. Kahliib Gems: 3/31

Ah, Star Wars, what a target of the media. Star Wars was destined to become a good movie with good trailers, like Lord of the Rings. Its too bad there is so many people who like these movies.

14. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] I have seen the new trailer for the clone wars. OMG. I was ready to cry....well almost. I did have goose bumps while watching it. I cant wait.

Is the episoid that he turns in to Mr. Vaider or is that III?

15. Big B Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] Anakin does not become Vader in AOTC. He does takes some steps towards the dark side. I won't delve into details, they're too good to spoil.

Here's a visual hint at Anakin becoming Darth Vader (and Padme becoming Darth Gonzo it appears :hahaerr: )

Ah the 11th behind the scenes was released tonight. It's on Padme's Wardrobe no less. Not quite as excititng as the Jedi Fighting in the Arena ;) but any glimpse at AOTC is a welcome one.

Entertainment Weekly has an extensive article coming up in next week's issue.

Also I went to the bookstore and saw a cardboard stand advertising the novelization and it had Jango and Boba Fett on it. It was so awesome, I wanted to sneak it home ;).

*Waves his hand "You don't need this display anymore."

[This message has been edited by Big B (edited April 05, 2002).]

16. the god Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] :lol: :hahaerr: or maybe C.D. Bales' daughter?

17. GuarMar487 Gems: 3/31

Where's Jar-Jar?

18. Big B Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] You want Jar Jar? Here he is.

Now to the good stuff:

Here are the recently released production notes that were kindly posted online by latinoreview.com :grin:

The following are excerpts from it that I really liked. The whole thing does contain a couple of big spoilers, but my excerpts don't contain anything more than a basic summary of the plot, so don't worry about major spoilers or specific details. The following may be long, but it's a great read!

The 1977 release of Star Wars launched a celebration of imagination that has
    flourished for a quarter of a century – and counting. Hundreds of millions of people spanning two generations have embraced George Lucas’ epic saga of grand design and boundless fun. His evolving space fantasy entertains and inspires as it explores the conflict between good and evil, technology and humanity. The story of the Skywalker family celebrates heroism and the limitless potential of the individual.

The newest chapter in Lucas’ saga, Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones, is
    set ten years after the events of Episode I The Phantom Menace. The Republic continues to be mired in strife and chaos. A separatist movement encompassing hundreds of planets and powerful corporate alliances poses new threats to the galaxy that even the Jedi cannot stem. These moves, long planned by an as yet unrevealed and powerful force, lead to the beginning of the Clone Wars – and the beginning of the end of the Republic.

To counter this looming menace, Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, continuing his
    consolidation of power, authorizes the creation of a Great Army of the Republic to assist the overwhelmed Jedi.

Against this troubling setting, our familiar heroes Obi-Wan Kenobi, Padmé
    Amidala and Anakin Skywalker are thrown together for the first time since the conflict between the Trade Federation and Padmé’s home planet, Naboo. Anakin has grown into the accomplished Jedi apprentice of Obi-Wan, who himself has transitioned from student to teacher, while Padmé, the former Queen of Naboo, is now a distinguished Senator. Anakin and Obi-Wan are assigned to protect Padmé, who is targeted for assassination.

As Obi-Wan investigates the mystery behind the threat on Padmé’s life, he travels to two disparate worlds on the galaxy’s outer rim. There, he encounters a fearsome bounty hunter whose role in the mystery extends far beyond Obi-Wan’s initial suspicions.

Obi-Wan also crosses paths with a once-revered, but now disillusioned Jedi Master who leads the separatist movement.

With Obi-Wan away on his vital mission, Anakin is left to guard Padmé, first on
    Naboo and then on the young Padawan’s home planet of Tatooine, where he makes a fateful discovery. Growing closer, Anakin and Padmé find themselves torn between duty and honor and a love that is forbidden. As powerful forces prepare to collide in epic battle, they and Obi-Wan face choices that will impact not only their own fates, but the destiny of the Republic.

Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones was written and directed by George
    Lucas, co-written by Jonathan Hales, produced by Rick McCallum, and stars Hayden Christensen, Natalie Portman, Ewan McGregor, and Samuel L. Jackson. Additional cast members include Ian McDiarmid, Christopher Lee, Temuera Morrison, Kenny Baker, Anthony Daniels and Frank Oz.

Attack of the Clones is rich with themes we’ve come to recognize in all of the Star
    Wars films: continual discovery, personal aspirations, heroism, duty and honor.
    EPISODE II of George Lucas’ six-chapter epic features passion, love, adventure … but most of all, fun. Interwoven with these familiar themes is one new to the saga – forbidden love – as well as the notion of Jedi heroism on a scale previously unseen in any Star Wars film: In one sequence, hundreds of Jedi battle powerful and seemingly innumerable forces.

The title itself hearkens back to the sense of imagination and excitement that
    characterized the classic movie serials and pulp fantasy adventures from which the Star Wars saga draws inspiration. “Attack of the Clones is a big, wide-eyed adventure film in the tradition and celebration of the Saturday matinee serials of Hollywood’s golden age,” says Lucas. “They were unpretentious and designed to thrill with lots of energy, suspense and excitement. You went to those movies to escape and enjoy yourself, and that’s what I wanted to capture with Attack of the Clones.”

The character of Anakin Skywalker is central to Attack of the Clones, and indeed
    to the saga itself. “What drove me in the first place to create this new trilogy,” says Lucas, “was to create a story about somebody who starts out as a good person, but is seduced by the dark side and becomes evil. And is ultimately redeemed.

“That’s the reason I started the story where I did in The Phantom Menace, with
    nine-year-old Anakin being a wonderful, normal kid,” Lucas continues. “I wanted to explore how somebody like that turns bad.” Adds producer Rick McCallum: “We obviously know Anakin’s ultimate fate. With these new films we explore the ‘How’ and the ‘Why.’”

As Attack of the Clones opens, Anakin has served ten years as a Padawan Learner
    under the guidance of Obi-Wan Kenobi. Anakin has become a confident, headstrong nineteen-year-old with an impulsive nature and a flair for adventure. Important changes in the young man are becoming evident. “In Attack of the Clones we begin to see flashes of anger from Anakin,” Lucas states, “and the seeds of his feelings are moving toward the dark side. The same flaws and issues that all humans are cursed with, curse him. There’s a lot going on there.” Says Jonathan Hales: “Anakin is still a gifted, talented, likable, good person who is determined to be the best and most powerful Jedi. He doesn’t set out to be evil, but in this film we see that pressures are being put upon him, and we become
    aware of some new temptations to which he is subjected.”

To bring forth Anakin’s complexities required an actor of impressive skill and
    presence. Casting director Robin Gurland saw six months of hard work come to a
    successful conclusion with the selection of Canadian actor Hayden Christensen as the new Anakin Skywalker for EPISODES II and III of the Star Wars saga. “I was really in a state of despair – until Hayden walked through the door,” Gurland recalls. “He has those special qualities you hope to find in an actor. He pops off the screen. And he had two of the characteristics that we were seeking for the character: vulnerability and edginess. We really had to have that combination, and it’s rare to find an actor who can go back and forth so well. I knew he had the physical and emotional attributes to play Anakin at the most complex stage of the character’s life.”

Producer Rick McCallum agrees that Christensen has a special quality that seems
    uniquely suited to bring out Anakin’s dual nature. “Hayden has a wonderful innocence and decency, with an edge that you can see in his eyes. There’s so much happening there.”

Christensen embraced both the positive and foreboding natures of the character,
    spending long hours with Lucas discussing Anakin, as well as working on the role on his own. He makes special note of the first glimpses we see of the character’s dark potential, including Anakin’s emerging aggressiveness and periodic loss of control. “Anakin is very passionate about the responsibilities he’s undertaken as a Jedi,” the actor comments. “He’s very determined to break free, wants to be the best at everything he does, and never backs down from a challenge.”

Anakin’s passions also lead to a romance with Padmé, although it is forbidden for Jedi to form such attachments. Anakin and Padmé are reunited after ten years, when she finds her life endangered and is offered the protection of Obi-Wan and his young apprentice.

Anakin and Padmé share an evolving relationship. “It’s a subtle, grown-up love
    story,” says Jonathan Hales. “It isn’t a question of love at first sight. When they’re reunited, she still sees him as a child. Initially, there’s tension, but always with an underlying attraction. Add to the fact their feelings for each other are forbidden. That’s interesting and it’s adult.”

Like Anakin, Padmé, played by Natalie Portman, who originated the role in The
    Phantom Menace, has undergone important changes in the ten years since their last meeting. Her term as Queen Amidala of the planet Naboo has ended. Still passionate about public office, Padmé now serves as Senator. In a galaxy undergoing tumultuous changes, her outspoken nature and commitment stand out in an increasingly fragmented Senate. Padmé’s beliefs lead to her becoming targeted by a growing separatist movement working outside the system, which in turn leads to her reunion with Anakin and Obi-Wan.

Padmé’s commitments to her career at first seem to rule out any notions of
    romance with Anakin, (as does the Jedi credo forbidding romantic attachments).
    “Padmé’s matured as a woman,” Portman notes. “She’s idealistic, honest and good, and because of that, sometimes naive. Padmé doesn’t want to fall in love because she thinks she has more important things to accomplish. She sees a future for herself as a leader, which doesn’t allow for much vulnerability, which in turn is a key component of romance.”

Anakin’s other key relationship in Attack of the Clones is with Obi-Wan Kenobi,
    who guides Anakin on the path to Jedi Knighthood. The film’s exploration of their friendship points to one of the saga’s central motifs and connecting threads: the dynamic between father/son, master/apprentice, and teacher/student. The Anakin-Obi-Wan relationship also recalls Kenobi’s wistful remembrances of Luke Skywalker’s father – Anakin – in the original film of the saga, 1977’s Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope.

In many ways, Anakin looks to Obi-Wan as the father figure he never had. “Obi-Wan and Anakin have been together a long time, and have worked together probably every day since Qui-Gon [the Jedi Master portrayed by Liam Neeson in The Phantom Menace] died,” reminds Ewan McGregor. The actor reprises the role he played in The Phantom Menace – a part that Alec Guinness created in the original trilogy.

McGregor particularly appreciated the evolving dynamic between the two
    characters. Obi-Wan incorrectly believed he could train Anakin to the level of the
    revered Yoda. Obi-Wan’s mistake ultimately proves to have grave consequences for Anakin and for the galaxy.

Attack of the Clones depicts the first steps in this dire scenario. Despite the close
    friendship between Anakin and Obi-Wan, the Padawan feels suffocated and restricted by his mentor’s careful teachings and experiences the first stirrings of power. He begins to resent, even resist, Obi-Wan.

McGregor points out that this relationship, as well as the film’s overall scale and
    sense of adventure, compare favorably with his reaction to the first two films of the original trilogy. “Attack of the Clones is reminiscent of A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back,” he explains. “You can feel the tension building, and at the same time there are some nice humorous moments. I also really enjoyed the film’s mystery aspects – Obi-Wan’s detective ‘spree’ that takes him to the underworld, backstreets and bars, and to strange planets.” :happy:

Samuel L. Jackson, returning as Jedi Master Mace Windu, agrees that Attack
    of the Clones recalls the original trilogy’s sense of adventure and wonder. “All those millions who loved those films are going to get the same kind of irreverence, thrills, action and romance with Attack of the Clones,” he points out. “It’s going to appeal to a lot of people.”

The character of Mace plays a critical role in the new film. A respected Jedi on
    par with the venerable Yoda, Mace is a senior member of the Jedi High Council. As the galaxy finds itself increasingly fragmented by the rise of a powerful secessionist movement spearheaded by a former Jedi, Mace comes to realize the time for negotiation has passed – and the time for action has come. :borg:

In Attack of the Clones, Mace, with his consummate skills, is in the thick of the
    action, something Samuel L. Jackson has long anticipated. “Mace knows that war is coming, and he’s in full attack mode,” says the actor. “I’ve watched and enjoyed Errol Flynn movies all my life, and now I finally get to fight in these incredible scenes.”

Among the enemies of the Republic with whom Mace and Obi-Wan cross paths is a bounty hunter considered to be the best and most fearsome in the galaxy. His family name, like his sleek armored suit and well-worn starship, Slave I, are familiar to the saga’s myriad fans. The brutal bounty hunter under the armor is Jango Fett, who has a unique relationship with his son, Boba.

Boba Fett, the feared warrior introduced in The Empire Strikes Back as cashing in
    on Jabba the Hutt’s bounty on Han Solo, finally emerges from the shadows in Attack of the Clones. (The character was “re-introduced” in new footage created for the Special Edition of A New Hope). Attack of the Clones reveals Boba Fett’s history, identity and destiny, and depicts how Boba plays a key role in the galaxy’s greatest conflict. We learn where he comes from, and why he grows up to become the infamous killer we know.

Bringing the Fett legacy to the screen is newcomer Daniel Logan, 14, who plays the young Boba Fett, and famed New Zealand actor Temuera Morrison (Once Were Warriors) as Jango Fett.

Boba follows the path of his father. The mentor/father-son thematic links also
    come into play with a figure new to the Star Wars universe: Count Dooku. A once-revered Jedi Master, Dooku has grown disenchanted with the ways of the troubled Republic, and has taken the lead in a growing separatist movement.

Acting legend Christopher Lee, who defined the macabre for a generation of
    horror fans through his portrayal of Dracula in a series of Hammer Films productions, takes on the key role of Dooku. The elegant, distinguished actor and his Attack of the Clones role are reminiscent of one of the key figures from A New Hope: Imperial official (and mastermind of the Death Star) Grand Moff Tarkin, played by Lee’s friend and colleague, the late Peter Cushing. The resemblance is far from coincidental. According to Robin Gurland, Lucas envisioned Dooku as “the Peter Cushing of this film. The minute George said that, he came up with the idea of casting Christopher Lee.”

Dooku is a far cry from the iconic visages of other Star Wars antagonists, such as
    Darth Maul and Darth Vader. Nevertheless, Dooku’s skills are no less formidable than those of his illustrious predecessors in the saga. Dooku, a master swordsman of the old school, is, according to Lee, “a man of immense physical and mental power. He’s very aloof, self-contained and completely fearless. Very much a force unto himself.”

Dooku’s disillusionment with the Republic is tied to Palpatine’s continuing rise to power. In The Phantom Menace, a trade embargo and crisis on Naboo led to Palpatine becoming Chancellor, after he promised to reunite the Republic and bring order and justice to its government. Despite his assurances, the Republic continues to be mired in strife and chaos. New threats to the galaxy lead the Galactic Senate to extend Palpatine’s term in office and grant him emergency powers as Supreme Chancellor. He then orders the formation of a massive Army of the Republic to protect the citizenry. This Army points to another connection to the first trilogy, as a seemingly brief reference in A New Hope to the Clone Wars becomes a pivotal story element of Attack of the Clones.

Ian McDiarmid reprises his role of Palpatine, which he played in both Return of
    the Jedi and The Phantom Menace. The actor continues to relish the task of bringing out the nuances of the most evil man in the Star Wars galaxy – perhaps in all of cinema.

“Palpatine’s the consummate politician,” McDiarmid explains. “On the surface he’s ‘Mr. Nice Guy’, but in reality he’s quite the opposite of that. Palpatine is interesting to play because he’s a brilliant actor and gloriously insincere to those who trust him most.”

Also returning to the Star Wars universe are the beloved droids R2-D2 and C-3PO. Attack of the Clones features an important evolution for the latter. In EPISODE I, Threepio, a creation of Anakin’s, was bereft of “skin” and very much a work-in-progress. During his ten years of waiting, the protocol droid finally receives his coverings. But he’s still not the golden figure we remember from the first trilogy. Instead, Threepio is a bunch of found pieces put together like patchwork.

The movie features a new costume worn by Anthony Daniels. A veteran of all
    five Star Wars movies, Daniels dons the droid costume for the first time in twenty years, while providing Threepio’s voice.

Kenny Baker, the man inside R2-D2 for the first four Star Wars films, joins
    Daniels as the only actors to appear in the entire original trilogy and both prequel films. While the robotics technology inside Artoo has advanced to the point where it can achieve most of its performance, having Baker “under the dome” for certain scenes adds an important element of humanity. Droid unit supervisor and operator Don Bies oversaw the refurbishment and updating of not only R2-D2, but of all the film’s astromech droids.

Another central relationship in Attack of the Clones is between Owen Lars
    (played by Australian actor Joel Edgerton) and Beru Whitesun, played by Australian actress Bonnie Piesse. Owen was introduced to the saga in A New Hope as Luke Skywalker’s jaded, gruff uncle, and Beru as Luke’s sympathetic aunt. Owen and Beru are as yet unmarried, but very much together. In EPISODE II, we finally discover Owen and Beru’s connection to Anakin, and we begin to understand why they were so protective of the young Jedi’s son, Luke, in A New Hope.

Owen’s father Cliegg Lars (portrayed by acclaimed Australian actor Jack
    Thompson), also figures in Anakin’s journey, as does the young Jedi’s mother, Shmi Skywalker, played by Pernilla August, who reprises her EPISODE I role.
    Emmy®-winning actor Jimmy Smits portrays Senator Bail Organa of
    Alderaan, a character referred to in A New Hope, who is now involved in the Senate’s heated debates about the creation of a new Army to protect the Republic.

Jedi Action: Having crafted an entire fighting style defining the prime of the Jedi for The Phantom Menace, stunt coordinator Nick Gillard returns to duty for Attack of the Clones.

In mapping out EPISODE II’s epic battles, Gillard created an individual fighting
    style for each Jedi – even the extras – choosing from different martial arts and sword fighting techniques. Gillard calls the process of describing in detail the precise movements of the battles, “writing the lightsaber fights.” “On other films, the fights are simply choreographed, but we needed something more for Attack of the Clones,” he explains.

Gillard visited twenty Kendo schools and “fight clubs,” where he interviewed
    over five hundred swordsmen to fill the Jedi positions. “I heard of one group that had been banned from the national competitions because they were way too aggressive,” says Gillard. “When I heard that, I knew they could be right for us.” Gillard found many of his Jedi at an Australian colony, Byron Bay, living in woods, “like in a scene from ‘Apocalypse Now.’”

Gillard also focused on training Hayden Christensen, who had to convey Anakin’s formidable skills with the lightsaber. “We need to see Anakin’s flashes of brilliance, the man who will be Darth Vader in action,” says Gillard. “He’s more skilled than even Obi-Wan, and he always attacks.”

Christensen, a talented athlete whose sports of choice are tennis and hockey,
    trained three to four hours a day with Gillard, wearing the ensuing bruises like badges of honor. “You don’t feel like you’ve done your job unless you walk home with a few bumps and scrapes,” the actor notes.

Christensen more than lived up to his character’s promise and skills. “Not only is
    Hayden a brilliant actor, he’s one of the most skilled athletes I’ve ever seen,” Gillard enthuses. “To give you some idea of Hayden’s abilities, he nearly creamed one of the great Kendo swordsmen in Australia. He was that quick.”

While Christensen’s training received most of Gillard’s attention, the stunt
    coordinator also worked closely with Ewan McGregor, Samuel L. Jackson, Christopher Lee and Temuera Morrison. According to Gillard, McGregor’s fierce-fighting Obi-Wan quickly returned to his Phantom Menace form, evidenced in a knockdown-drag out fight with Morrison’s Jango Fett. Their Jedi vs. bounty hunter battle points to the difference in their styles. “Comparing bounty hunters with Jedi is like comparing a tiger with a shark,” Gillard points out. “Within three feet, nothing can stop a Jedi. Bounty hunters fight from a long range, for as long as possible.”

The fighting abilities of Jedi Master Mace Windu are second only to Yoda.
    “Mace’s style is quite economic,” says Gillard. “If he gets within range, there’s no
    question – you’re dead.” Adds Samuel L. Jackson (who previously collaborated with Gillard on Shaft): “Nick’s put together an incredible fight for me. And since Mace is the second baddest person in the universe, he’s pretty efficient. No fancy sword twirling. He uses minimal energy … and maximum lethalness.”

Count Dooku’s skills with the lightsaber are as lethal as Mace’s. Dooku figures
    in one of the film’s most carefully planned fight sequences, which impressed the actor who plays the charismatic separatist, master swordsman and former Jedi. “I’ve done more sword fights on celluloid than any actor in history,” reminds Christopher Lee, “and I’ve got the scars to prove it. And this fight is greater than anything I’ve been involved in.”
    :eek: :grin: :spin:

While Natalie Portman doesn’t wield a lightsaber, she jumped into the action
    scenes as readily as her male co-stars did. “Padmé is more proactive in Attack of the Clones than in the last film,” Gillard points out, “and Natalie was more than up for the physical challenges of the role.”

What can I say? Awesome.

19. the god Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] i could provide natalie portman with a few physical challenges... and a lightsaber to wield. :p

Big B: i recogised most of the music from the 'clone wars' trailer, but was there no original music on it at all? (you mentioned an alternate 'endor' theme on march 11th) what about the (i don't think this is going work)...

duh-duh-duhduhduh, duh-duh-duhduhduh, duh-duh-duhduhduh, DUH-DUH...?

20. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

Erm... was that the Duel of the Fates?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.