1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Taste in Music?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Errol, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I am very mood driven when it comes to music...I have different prefences depending on what I'm doing: Metal or just kick-ass high intensity tunes when I'm working out or driving (a bad combination), classical when I'm studying, Techno/Industrial/Hip Hop/Disco when I'm in a dancing mood, rock when I'm in a singing mood (usually in the shower or on the drive to work - but I have been known to do the occasional karoake (sp?)), blues when I'm contemplating life, and pop too...

As far as my favorite bands/groups/performers, here goes:

Live
    Jimi Hendrix
    Eagles
    Doors
    U2
    Metallica
    Keb' Mo'
    The Primitives
    Rage Against the Machine
    Soundgarden
    New Order (older 80's stuff...haven't bought anything newer than Republic)
    R.E.M.
    Doors
    Led Zeppelin
    Van Halen (only with David Lee Roth or 5150 w/Hagar)
    Beatles
    B.B. King
    Candlebox
    Wagner
    Borodin
    Chaikovsky
    John Williams
    Norah Jones
    Dave Matthews
    Cat Stevens
    AC/DC
    Alicia Keys
    Oasis
    System of a Down
    Beastie Boys
    Eminem is growing on me...
    Foo Fighters
    Elmore James
    Howlin' Wolf
    Muddy Waters
    Thelonius Monk
    The Sundays
    Natalie Merchant/10,000 Maniacs
    The Clash
    G-Love and Special Sauce
    Matthew Sweet
    No Doubt
    Lenny Kravitz

Although you may think so...This list is by no means exhaustive...Just a sampling of the things I like! :grin: :spin: :roll:

2. Zaragoth Guest

I like metal.

Like Blind Guardian, Iron Maiden, Metallica, King Diamond, Helloween etc.

And I KNOW what good music is, and it's not Britney Spears or some other shitty "doin'itforthemoney"-music...

3. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Well, music is a very subjective thing, since I think almost all metal is garbage.
    I will also admit that listening to it for about an hour becomes physically painful, due to my hypersensitive hearing. Electric guitars use tonalities that my ears just don't agree with.
    Personally, I'll listen to almost anything, at least for a little while, although I have no use for hateful or hurtful lyrics, but that's just me.

4. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I love my punk, metal etc. but i tend to especially like the songs that have meaning ... a stint of what happens in real life be it good or bad ... but none of this exagerated pop stuff ... its all the same with pop.

I also like constant beats ... like dance, trance and techno ... almost lovey dovey lyrics but some of the music they come up with is amazing!

5. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Britney spears? There is a guy/gall here that does like Britney????????? I'm getting Sick!

There is only one person in music that I really hate, and that's Britney She cant sing cant act and is ugly!

Thank you good night, we nuke you all!!!!!!

6. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Interesting that there are quite a few metal fans here. I listen to all kinds of metal (excluding punk/hardcore/nu/and all that stuff), classical music, and might take a liking to some other specific songs from all genres which generally surprise people that know me (no certainly not any teen-pop songs) :)

But I'm mostly into Nordic Black/Death/Grind/Doom metal. Haven't been paying much attention to the scene lately though.
    I'm listening to Cradle of Filth - Dark Queen of Winter Enthroned at the moment:

Even a man who is pure in the heart
    And speaks in prayer by night
    May become a wolf, when the wolf's bane blooms
    And the winter moon is briiight AOooOOOUUUuOouUUU :D

[ July 29, 2002, 03:41: Message edited by: Invoker ]

7. LittleJimmy Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Yes! Another Extreme Metal fan! Invoker: Have you heard any Emperor, by any chance?

The records that 'rock my boat' at the moment are:

Cathedral - 'Endtyme'
    Emperor - 'In The Nightside Eclipse'
    Dillinger Escape Plan - 'Calculating Infinity'
    Akercocke - 'Goat Of Mendes'
    Mínus - 'Jesus Christ Bobby'
    Bal-Sagoth - 'Atlantis Ascendant'
    Anything by GWAR.

Any other people who like these records? Probably not... :rolleyes:

8. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] Of course. ;) From your list, Emperor and Bal-Sagoth are amongst my favourite groups. Some others include:
    Immortal, Enslaved, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Edge of Sanity, Anathema, My Dying Bride, Deicide, Old Man's Child, Rotting Christ, Sentenced, Unleashed, At the Gates, Summoning, Dimmu Borgir, Blind Guardian, Six Feet Under, Mayhem etc.. I really should stop here as there are many more :D

9. Gormenghast Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Well i like all tipes of music and here are some off my favourite bands.

Dr Dre
    Dmx
    Ja Rule
    Xzhibit
    Nelly
    P Diddy
    Jagged Edge
    Usher
    Jay Z

Metallica
    Blink 182
    Life House(One Song, havent heard any other ones)
    3 Doors Down
    Coal Chamber
    Linkin Park
    Korn
    P.O.D
    Rob Zombie
    The Offspring

10. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I have never once liked a band because other people like it, and I cant see why your bagging out people whogo up the charts. Its not their fault that people like them. And I, personally have never seen Staind go anywhere near the charts and never heard Nickelback been called metal.

11. Christopher_Lee Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

...and you will know us by the trail of dead
    Strokes
    White Stripes
    The Coral (only just got their album - it;s FANTASTIC)
    Pulp
    Bob Dylan (most of it)
    Belle and Sebastian (earlier stuff)
    Beck Hanson
    Lots of Jazz (nice, really NICE)...

...its sort of about hearing any new stuff whose references and influences you can trace.

12. Ravenstar1836 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Tonight must be my night for shouting "Me, too!"
    Eveningdrive, if you're old, then I am ancient!
    My favorites:
    Queen
    Eagles
    Rolling Stones
    Elton John
    Neal Diamond
    Patsy Cline
    Steely Dan

I also have several classical selections that I listen to, mostly those are Mozart.

13. LittleJimmy Gems: 4/31

[​IMG] "I have never once liked a band because other people like it, and I cant see why your bagging out people whogo up the charts."

Zaknafein ---> Neither have I. I'm not that shallow as to like bands simply because other people do. And I wasn't trying to say that any band who gets into the charts is crap (after all, there are quite a few excellent bands in the charts at the moment) - I was just expressing my frustration at the fact that the majority of the record-buying public likes very middle-of-the-road, generic, "safe" music and subsequently our music charts become full of music with very little variety. This also means that these bands/artists will get a LOT more publicity than any 'alternative' bands/artists. Example: When was the last time you watched MTV (or some other mainstream programme/channel), listened to loads of music that you'd never heard before, and come away thinking "Wow, that band was really interesting, I'll have to check out more of their stuff!" ?

"Its not their fault that people like them."

Surely one of the main points of forming a band in the first place is to get people to like your music. Unless you're going to play to yourselves all day, what's the point in forming a band if you don't want people to like you?

"And I, personally have never seen Staind go anywhere near the charts and never heard Nickelback been called metal."

Au contraire. Staind were at about no. 5 in the UK charts with "It's Been Awhile" for around four/five weeks. And while Nickelback are in no way metal in any shape or form, they still (unfortunately) get lumped in with that genre. Because, in the mainstream media, Rock and Metal are considered one and the same, Nickelback can be classed as 'Metal' in the same way that Slipknot can be classed as 'Hard Rock'. This frustrates me a lot, as I said in a previous post: If I say that I'm a Metal fan to someone who doesn't really like Rock/Metal, they'll automatically assume that I'm into all the stuff that's in the mainstream at the moment, and THAT is what annoys me about the mainstream - it limits people's musical tastes, it doesn't encourage them to look deeper into a scene for alternative bands/artists, and it stagnates any thoughts of creativity that people might have.

[/Petty Rant] :eek:

14. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

On the topic of liking a band because others do:

Late 80's. Guns and Roses "Appetite for Destruction" had been number 1 in the US for weeks, but was just getting radio play. I had been a fan of the band for a while.
    I walk into the convenience store with two lady friends and we hear "Sweet Child of Mine" playing on the speakers. Tracey asks me who it is, and I say "Guns and Roses". She turns to Amy and says, "We like them now, right?". It was pathetic.

15. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I quite like Nu Metal, some fave bands being Offspring, Sum41 and Puddle of Mud.

But my main passion is for Japanese ballad music, can't understand a word of it but i like it ;) .
    My fave Japanese artist is probably Rikki, who recently upped her popularity world wide by writing the Final Fantasy X theme song. Can't remember the name of the song though.

16. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    My favorite bands are these:

Nine Inch Nails (Hard Rock/ Electronic)
    The Doors (Rock / Jazz / Blues)
    Radiohead (Rock / Electronic)
    Rage Against The Machine (Rap / Hard Rock)
    Metallica (Heavy Metal)
    The Cranberries (Rock)
    The Chemical Brothers (Techno)
    White Zombie (Heavy Metal)
    Pearl Jam (Hard Rock)
    Laïka (Soft techno)
    Ramasutra (Indian / Electronic)
    Kraftwerk (The inventors of techno)
    Rammstein (Industrial / Heavy Metal)
    Vivaldi (Classical)

I listen to a lot of different stuff :)

17. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] :love: Marry me, Jack.

Whatdyasay -- "Methyl Funk." (Has a ring to it...)I had wondered whether you were referring to the song with your tag-line -- "like ya like it", fo'sho! I was a soul club DJ in my youth -- mostly '67-'72 stuff, and the only thing better than dancing to it yourself is compelling others to do so and watching them go nuts. My best find that made the other DJs jealous and always filled the floor: "Soul Sister" by Sam Dees. Of course "Love Rollercoaster," "Got to Give it Up," "Chicken Strut," "25 Miles" -- ah it moves me like nothing else.

But '60s ska I also like: the Skatalites, Toots and the Maytals, Phyllis Dillion...

And prog. You know.

And punk!

Stefanina, I always do seem to agree with everything you say -- we may be the only 30ish women here, so maybe no wonder -- except:
    "Personally, I'll listen to almost anything, at least for a little while, although I have no use for hateful or hurtful lyrics, but that's just me."

Hateful and hurtful lyrics, *if* they are sufficiently broadly directed, can be cathartic. At the gym, nothing works better than Hole's first album or the Circle Jerks for keeping that heart rate up. And I am looking for work at present, so I am liable to sing Crass' "Owe Us a Living" lustily and often.

18. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] I swear if I hear "And that was Nickelback, the awesome metallers from America! Now.." on the radio once more, I will kill myself.

I went to see Lenny Kravitz in the London Arena a while back, I must say it was Awesome, and that guy has my total respect.
    One thing i have to comment on here though, is that it's mostly people who are into Pop/Rap/R&B/Drum & Bass music, that go for "Rock" bands such as Linkin Park, Offspring, etc. I can't really comment on why as i'm into a different type of "Rock Music" if you like.

I need to ask however, are people/teenagers heavily stereotyped/judged by their taste in music in America/other countries? Because here in the UK it's dreadful. If I went into JJB Sports and exclaimed I'm a Cradle Fan, i'd be dead before I reached the door, seriously.

19. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

OK, well then, in Australia Staind never made it anywhere near the charts. As for hearing new stuff, almost every time I watch late night rage.

20. LittleJimmy Gems: 4/31

[​IMG] Cool. In the UK we have absolutely ZERO television programmes that actually feature new and Underground music, as far as I know (if you have Sky/Digital TV then I suppose it's different). Even 'Kerrang! TV' is limited in its selection of videos, which is rather depressing...

On a happier note, I'm seeing Raging Speedhorn in October! Woohoo!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.