1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Romance Mathematics....

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Kitrax, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Oh, no! Look at what I have started!

:yot:
    *Kitrax sees that Methylviolet is from LBC....backs down....*

"She's going to bust a cap!!!!"

*Kitrax runns and hides in the Queen Mary*

hehehe...last time I was in LB I heard some guy say, "I'll bust a cap on your ass!"
    So when ever I hear/see that someone if from Long Beach, I think of that. :rolling:

2. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] LOL.
    That's right. You keep talkin yo head, me and my LBC thot-POlice posse do a drive-by on yo posterior.

Long drive, though. :)

3. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

"I'll bust a cap on your ass!"

Not just Long Beach. Visalia, Fresno, Bakersfield, Lemoore. (La, SanD, and SanF go without saying)

Rough towns, they are.

Cautious you must be, to survive if you are.

:1eye:

Other than that, I think Schralp actually does know what the deal is, but is also intelligent enough to know that a bland/harmless post will stiffle the thread. It's like, what if you were watching "Friends", and everyone just did the proper thing and were very compromising toward each other?

There'd be no show.

4. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Yes. They are jokes. Not particularly funny or original ones, but nothing to get one's panties in a bunch about.

No, I'm seeing uptightness. By firing back I mean making jokes right back.

Race does not equal gender. Whole different ball game.

Bitterness? I think you're the one who lost her sense of humor. It's also rather entertaining that you're giving me advice on dating. :1eye:

And, actually, as people who play these games are among the most intelligent, witty, fun people you'll encounter, I expect SP to be a place where one doesn't have to bow down to some ridiculous notion that any mention of male or female tendencies must be stomped out. But run to the authorities like a good apparatchik if you must.

[ August 08, 2002, 15:24: Message edited by: Shralp ]

5. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31

Really, ejsmith? You think so?

6. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Hmm, I want to step in on Methylviolet's side here, but I know how the off topic policies are on this forum, and I don't want to get this thread closed for all you who are actually enjoying this type of humour.

But I do think that prejudice about race is the same as prejudice about gender, I would really like to hear in what way it isn't. I mean, I don't laugh when I read these jokes, but I understand that it's some form of recognition that makes it funny, that "oh that's how it is" kind of thing...

and the general idea of how things are is that women depend on their men to provide for them (not true, in a vast majority of couples in the US and europe, the woman has a full time job), that women are impossible to understand (and that is not prejudice?), that all men are afraid of commitment, that all women always have to "win" in an argument.

I don't really see how that is any different from saying that all black people are stupid and need to pull up their pants, but feel free to enlighten me.

So, don't accuse me of being uptight too, I find some of these jokes (not all, mind you) to be on the same level as jokes about black people, of course I'll be uptight, and I won't fire back with a joke about how stupid white people are.. that would be silly.

That last joke was very funny though.. good one! :)

7. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Idoru, totalizing statements like "all women are incapable of doing higher math" or "all black people like fried chicken" are, indeed, similarly wrong. (Wrong in the sense of incorrect, not always wrong in the sense of something that cannot be joked about.)

The reason I say that race and gender are different ballgames is that race has nothing to do with gender. Black people can be either men or women, you know. :1eye:

The tendency to lump race, sex, religion, "sexual orientation," and other characteristics together is wrong for many reasons. They're simply not the same. If I say, "Mormonism is philosophically wrong," then I'm stating something that may or may not be true. If I say, "black people are philosophically wrong," then I'm saying something that is simply nonsense, because being black (despite the attempts of the NAACP) does not mean that you think like every other black person.

[ August 08, 2002, 15:47: Message edited by: Shralp ]

8. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Well, I think it's time for me to come to the defense of men here, instead of slamming your fun. This is also a sexist generalization, saying that men are incapable of thinking of anything but sex. From my observations, this is sometimes true, sometimes not. It depends on how mature the man is. Some men desire "intellectual stimulation" in addition to the physical side, similar to what psychologists say that women desire.

Methyl, your frankness in many of these topics always brings a smile. Honestly, though, women oftentimes mention this to me after some man was making biased statements around them. I fail to see any point in doing this in plain sight where women would see it.

Unfortunately, as civilized as we are today, some men (and some women) are unable to get past their primal instincts and act as evolved creatures, as humans are supposed to be.

A 30 year old man dating a 22 year old woman? I would much rather be dating a woman a bit closer to my age so that we would have more of the same experiences and would more easily be able to relate in anything more sophisticated than a "trophy bride" capacity.

Heh, true Methyl. However, some people are just unable to act like civilized beings. I enjoyed this forum much more when we used it for political conversation rather than gender-bashing.

Shralp, I also fail to see a difference between sexism and racism. "Black people can be either men or women". Yes, but races don't get asked "Oh, you're about to be born. What race do you want to be?", just as people don't get asked "Do you want to be male or female?" It simply happens, and attacking someone because of something that they have no control over equates to the same thing.

9. deBhaal Gems: 11/31

Obviously those people who are posting about how the above jokes were bashing gender, dont have much of a sence of humor.

I found the jokes to be highly humorous, does that automaticly make me sexist, no, it doesnt, Im not sexist, Im not Racist. And I dont agree with the generalization that you put out Methyl, that the people here at SP are gender-bashing. There was no reason for you to say anything about that, the jokes were just that jokes, and if you cant see the humor in it, dont comment on it, rather than make comments about how it is morally wrong to have a sense of humor.

10. Psycho. the fanged rabbit Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I love the last one. How is this topic gender bashing they are just jokes nothing more. So who cares not me.

11. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Not true. I am perfectly content with two pairs of shoes. (Hiking bots and sandals.... what else do I need?)

My $ .02: Get a sense of humor.

Ara
    *The Spam Queen is back... beware!)

12. idoru Gems: 11/31

I think I have a sense of humor, the problem is that I don't find this funny... and in that case, you don't really want me to pretend to laugh, do you?

Shralp:
    Uh, yes, and, you know what, women can be either black, white or any other color. I don't see your point. As for what you said about mormons, you're right. But I think making statements about women would be much closer to statements about race than statements about a form of christianity.

Making general statements such as "christians are ignorant" would be equally wrong as some of these jokes or racist jokes, though. So I guess my problem with these jokes is that they are generalizations. They lump women into one category. Note how the jokes don't say "some women", they say "women", meaning women in general. That's what my whining is all about, first of all that many of the things said are just plain wrong, and second because as a man, I'm honestly insulted when I read jokes about how my gender only cares about sex and football, that is, selfish pleasure. I imagine many women would be equally offended when they are pigeonholed as mindlessly babbling shopaholics. :heh:

13. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Yo. Chill out. All of you. The first post in this thread and Shralp's first post were both *jokes*. JOKES, goddammit.

14. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31

Yes, I know. Poor Kitrax was not trying to piss anyone off -- he was trying to make us laugh. That's why I started the "Sexism" topic.

But those of us who don't find bigotry funny don't need to lighten up, or get lives -- I daresay you who enjoy bigoted humor need to look within.

For example:
    What do you say to a woman with a black eye?
    Nothing. You already told her ONCE.

What's the difference between a dead n*gger in the road and a dead cat in the road?
    There are skid marks in front of the cat.

Ho, ho, ho! Weren't those hilarious?

No? You're not laughing? There's clearly something wrong with you. They're only *jokes*! Lighten up!

15. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Nice spin, Meth. I especially enjoyed the part where you acted as if I glorified bigotry and racism. The first post in this thread negatively potrays both men and women. BOTH. In the first thread, men are seen as dumb and naive (among other things) and women are seen as manipulative and conniving (among other things).

[ August 15, 2002, 17:16: Message edited by: SlimShogun ]

16. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31

No, esandes, I acted as though you thought that, because something is called a joke, anyone who finds it offensive is wrong.

And yes, sexism cuts both ways -- men, like women, are pigeonholed. But you'll notice that men generally get a comfier pigeonhole...

17. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I think we've heard your views on this by now Methylviolet. If you can't lighten up, at least let it go. The original topic was posted to make people laugh, not go on a crusade. If you don't find the joke funny, that's ok, you've said so and we've heard you. But don't keep bashing all other people who can take that post for what it was meant, a joke. 99.9% of jokes are offensive to at least someone portrayed in them, that's the whole point. That's what makes us laugh. Imagine a league of enraged chicken farmers coming at us for stereotyping the chicken habit of road crossing and giving chickens world-wide a bad name and consequently hurting their business. :shake:

[ August 15, 2002, 18:59: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

18. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

MethV:

Strictly out of curiousity, do you spank your child?

Or at least, will you be keeping it as an option should the need arise?

19. Fatmaka Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] COOL! Especially the funeral part! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA ;) :p

20. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] [EDIT]: I posted my original reply w/out seeing Tal's post. It contained virtually the same message.

[ August 16, 2002, 04:10: Message edited by: SlimShogun ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.