1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Messaging System

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Taluntain, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If I added the ability to the boards where you could send private messages to any other members of Boards O' Magick, or even send mails to other people via the boards, would you use it?

Also, if you are a member of another message board that has this option, do you use it, and what are your experiences with it?

(This is a sticky too. My, once you have it, the uses for it become so obvious! :p)

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited March 10, 2002).]

2. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I will probably use it if someone disabled his/her mail.
    Add it Tal, it can't give excuses if someone says "I couldn't mail the person because of disabled mail addy so I posted a personal post, I mean - flame" ;)

I do use it on BIS boards.
    Not because lacking of members' mail addy, but because it can be set to immediate noticing the receiver so I pressurize BIS employees with it...lol :evil:
    Ok, not just that. It's somewhat nice to talk that way instead of lame chatroom full of mute's apprentices. ;)

3. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Dude! I'd use it ... just er, explain how we use it for those more primitive minded that you. Anyway, yeah i'd like the feature! :Dazed:

4. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I'd probably use it - just to keep from clogging up people's inboxes ;)

But how would it work? Do we get 'notifications' of it?

5. Extremist Gems: 31/31

It's easy actually.

You click on the icon that represents or displays "PM" or "Private Message". It will be in the post where a member posted, or in his profile, etc. Let's imagine it's placed just beside the "edit" icon.

You get the window similar to the one you get while making a new thread, just in this case the new box exists where the nick of the receiver is typed.

You can use UBB inside, links, anything that you use in ordinary posts.
    And then you type it and send it, plain and simple.

And instead of it being posted on forums, it's posted in imaginary place that is owned by a certain member.
    And there will be an icon or something for a member to check out if there is a message waiting for him/her. Or there will be a notice on a message received the very moment a member joins the boards.

Don't forget that a member can disable Private Messaging if he or she doesn't want to receive such posts noone else can see but he/she.

Ok, a sample from BIS boards options:

Enable Private Messaging?
    Allows people to send Private Messages to you
    yes no

Send you an email when you receive a Private Message?
    yes no

Pop up a box when you receive a Private Message?
    This will pop up a small warning box when you receive a Private Message asking whether you want to view the message.
    yes no

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited March 10, 2002).]

6. Sniper Gems: 28/31

So like ... dude! thats kewl! i'll just imagine it as a network of energy beams being transported to the desired beings ... kinda reminds me of 'Tron' (i love that film)

So in a way its a bit like msn messenger?

7. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] Is it like msn I can't know.

IIRC, there are only two SP members tricked into using that thing: Herf and Kitiara. ;)

Ask them.

8. TheBlackRose Gems: 13/31

I know I said before that I didn't like board IMs, but it's a nice backup to email. Throw that feature in, Tal. :cool:

9. sorvo Guest

Yes, I'd love to ask someone in private before I make a complete ass out of myself;)

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'll update the threads one of these days, when I'm finished modding. You can update a thread yourself, just edit your post or reply to it, that'll update it.

And yea, in the PM system you'd get a notice that you have a new message when you'd log on to the boards. Maybe even play a sound like, "you've got a new private message." ;)

This is a major mod though. I probably won't have time to implement it before the end of the week.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited March 11, 2002).]

11. the god Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] i'd definitely use it. hell of a lot faster than e-mailing them (and you won't have to leave the 'boards!) :hahaerr:

edit: i expect the older users and those with custom avatars will use it more because they don't feel the compulsion to spam.

[This message has been edited by the god (edited March 12, 2002).]

12. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Sometimes I want to give someone feedback or just mail someone I know from the boards... then I use the boards to get the mailaddress... so I would definetly use the message-system yes!

Good Job, Tal!

[This message has been edited by Headbanger (edited March 11, 2002).]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2018
  13. Kill_Lexington Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Yes. Good idea BTW.

14. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

ummm .... will it be possible to disable yourself from the Messaging System when you want to? I usually spam from work, and can't afford the time to talk to people here unless I'm on a break (or having a "scheduled no-work time" ;) ) It could also get messy if I'm talking to my VP and Psycho-the-fanged-rabbit sends me a message asking if I found the +5 Claymore of Sacking.

15. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Math: yeah, at least on the other boards I have been on, you can disable it :)

16. Christopher_Lee Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

A word of caution - people don't post as often anyway. Now if there's an alternative to actually posting - what do you think is gonna happen? Huh? Huh?

17. To quote an annoying friend of mine:

SWEEET!

Tal, Private messaging is definitely a good idea.

/me sends good vibes at Tal

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2018
  18. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Yes, I use it on other boards and would use it here. Useful if someone hasn't got ICQ or got it on.

19. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] Nice point Erran!

For example, I don't have ICQ nor I use msn or anything alike as you all already know. And I'll never use those!
    Why would I have that with PM option available?

And there won't be less posts on the boards...at least not by me :evil:
    Besides, a thing that could be useful on the boards, I'll always post, no matter if I just PMed it.

20. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] OK, it's settled then. I'll implement it soon.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.