1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How do you do it?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by LdyWench, Nov 21, 2004.

1. LdyWench Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I've been playing BG2 and decided I should play BG1 so I really have a clue of the background. I've since decided that ignorance is bliss. First of all, I found the whole game rather slow, in movement, experience gain, pretty much every aspect. So, I plod along and grab Minsc for my party, skip whatever side quests there were, needed the extra tank. The first gripe I had was with the AI scipts, even though I had a fighter aggressive selected both tanks just stood there while the mobs advanced to right on top of the party before they decided "hey, maybe we should hit these guys back?". Ok, got past that by just force attacking, back to being peachy... or so I thought. I decide to hoof it to go get Dynaeir, didn't want Minsc to get antsy on me, plow through the gnolls, grab her and bam! She's dead right out of the pit. Longer story shorter, I spent 3 hours mostly resting and dragging corpses around to get raised and at the end of that 3 hours my hero was still only level 1. Needless to say, I packed the game back into it's nifty little box and it will now live happily ever after collecting dust on a shelf. So I don't have a clue about what happened to the hero before heading to Amn, I can live with that, which is more then I could say for my party. To those of you who actually finished the game, I applaud you and boggle at how you could do it.

2. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

The game is annoying until you're about level 2 or 3 - you keep dying. Still, it gets much better after that.

3. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I still adore the game. Leveling up really isnt that hard, you just have to have patience, and get experience where you can. The 'crappy' side quests are really good for this. It is probably harder going to BG after playing BG2, but then it is a different sort of game. The areas are much more open, and the quests are more sporadic, and need to be found. I still play it, and will continue to do so because it still is an excellent cRPG.

4. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    If you want to reach level 2 quickly, the simple answer is to kill the black bears on the map where Gorion dies, they're down the West side usually...they respawn, and you get 225 xp each I think, but don't attack them up close, shoot them.

Once I found this out it was easy.

5. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    just do the side quests and completely explore every map you enter, I was level 4 before hitting the nashkel mines, then you level up in good time. this game requires you to be more tactical, having tanks to 'plow' through the opposition may be a good idea in BG2 where they can do it, but in BG1 you really need to look at it from more then 1 angle.

6. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Ranged attacks are your friend!

I even had Minsc using a longbow long before he was proficient with it (you find so many arrows).

7. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I actually liked BG1 over BG2. It's not really hard or anything, it's just sort of frustrating, especially the large outdoor areas. However, tasks like Bandit Camp and exploring Baldur's Gate itself really outshine BG2.

8. Wil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I began with BG1, so I wasn't biased or expecting too much. True, the AI is slow, you'd better give direct orders. It was en error to rush to the gnoll stronghold, it's not meant to be an easy place. You should be level 2 before you try.
    I'm still playing BG1 and think it's a great great game. In the beginning be careful to avoid hard fights, you're not a semi-god like in BG2. A wolf could kill you.
    It's not easy to rack up xp for first levels, but killing bears or drow rangers is cheesy.
    Don't be afraid to travel a lot in order to find easy quests.

9. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I wouldnt dismiss BG1 so quickly, especially as with BG2 it gives you the opportunity to take a character through his/her entire career from novice to god. As the others have said, you just need some different tactics. Lots of missile weapons and divine magic are the way to go :)

10. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

I do not think that the XP gain is slow at all. Of course, if you are not exploring or doing any side quests, you will gain nothing and your characters will not level up. The AI is not brilliant, granted, but I prefer micromanaging my party, so it never bothered me.

11. Arawn Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

If you want to level up fast. Stock plenty of arrows, Memorize protection from petrification head east of the temple of Beregost, Chat with Ghorax and clean up the map. You will be level 4 in no time.

12. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I've recently started playing a new game and have progressed to a level 6 fighter, Im currently running round Durlags Tower (spl?) before I decide to run off to BG. I seem to enjoy the difficulty in BGI to BGII purely because it demands more thought about puzzels, battles and spending of gold on items. I am only a couple of days away from finishing this amazing game for the fourth time (or fifth cant quite remember) then I will take my fighter and take him through BGII :happy:

13. Dark Slayer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Basilisks are the XP givers, man. I killed some basilisks and was amazed how quickly my hero got to level 4 or 5. Just get some "Protection from Petrification" scrolls, get ranged weapons and talk to Korax the "good dog" for some major buttkicking!

14. AzathothXy Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I went through the game with two tanks(my PC,a fighter, and Khalid), and four ranged characters( Imoen, Jaheira, Dynaheir and the elf who wants to kill ogres). I had no problem.

15. Greystar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

The game does get better once you get to Baldur's Gate though, everything is kind of slow before that.

The combat in this game isn't very good (most of the time you are depending on your dice rolls), but once you get over it, everything is on par with BG2 (or even superior in some areas).

16. Dranalis DeAealth

Dranalis DeAealth Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc Veteran

I imagine you wouldn't like BG1 if you had come to it from BG2.

17. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Not entirely true, most people want to go back to BGI (if never played) after playing BGII due to the lack of knowledge of the roleplaying aspect for the stories history, regradless of the tone-downs in gameplay.

18. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Use TUTU and the BG1NPC mod, it makes BG1 even better :)

19. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I have played both BG1 and BG2 extensively, and I can honestly say BG1 is still my favourite. It might not have the high resolution of the fast paced fight sequences but in my eyes it is every bit the pioneer of fantasy RPGs. When you have played it through a number of times you learn the ways and places to get high XP and the best equipment to become strong quickly, making the game that much more interesting. Perseverance is the key with BG1, after all, Waterdeep wasn't built in a day...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.