1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ranger

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Shadow Druid, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Shadow Druid Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I have a ranger now and am thinking of making him into a shadow dancer. I plan on playing a ranger in my multiplayer game, but I will probably be the only fighter type. Do you guys think I'll still be able to be a good tank with a ranger/shadow dancer? Or maybe an arcane archer? Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch.

p.s. I basically want a good tank with some cool abilities.

[ December 31, 2003, 10:36: Message edited by: Shadow Druid ]

2. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Although his abilities are somewhat geared towards a backstabbing playing style, I think the Shadowdancer can tank pretty well thanks to Shadow Evade. This gives him an AC bonus, damage reduction and a concealment bonus, hence you'll take less damage. Couple this to tumble as a class skill which increases his AC and (Improved) Evasion to shrug off trap and spell damage and there isn't that much that can hurt him.

If that is really what you want, my advise would be Monk. They have more attacks than the game engine can draw on screen (at least in my case), they have incredible AC, alot of really cool items and feats.

3. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

The problem with a monk is that they make awful tanks early on.

I think a ranger/shadowdancer would be pretty good, as if you get in trouble while tanking, you can just hide in plain site, heal, and get back into it. At the same time you'll be versatile and a good scout.

4. asto_86 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Im planning on doing the samething with the ranger/shadowdancer. I wanted some opinions on what level I should go out of the ranger class.

5. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I think you should try to take advantage of the Ranger dual-wielding so at least level 9. But since then it's only one level to get your next favorite enemy go for level 10. Shadowdancer should be level 10 also. Then it depends what you want to do.
    So the order to take the levels:
    Ranger to level 7
    Shadowdancer to level 2
    Ranger to level 10
    Shadowdancer to level 10
    That's how I would take it (and have taken it). Afterwards you have to choose what you want to maximise, the Ranger's favorite enemies and casting or the Shadowdancer's Shadow Evade and summoned Shadow. So choose one of both (I suggest not trying to maximise both) and get that class to level 30.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.