1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ranger spells questions

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by kelrynn, Nov 17, 2005.

1. kelrynn Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Polymorph Self - what advantages do each of the forms give you?
    Zombie?
    Umber Hulk?
    Pixie?
    Spider?
    Are any of the forms any good?

Does Invisibility Purge move with your character after you cast it? That is can I cast the spell before entering a dungoen and have it automatically dispell an invisible creature as it approaches?

Thanks in Advance.

K

Splunge likes this.
  2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I think the general response is that all of the polymorph self forms are a bit lame and only useful in limited circumstances. I like to think of them as being role-playing features to allow your character to do certain things in online play or specific modules (a bit like the Badger companion who serves no purpose other then fulfiling some role playing need to have a Badger companion).

3. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I suppose the pixie might be useful for locks and traps. Is it a 4th level spell for rangers? Assuming they havent already multiclassed to rogue, it could round out their general adventuring abilities quite nicely, albeit not until a highish level.

4. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

No. It just dispels any Invisibility-type effects in the area on which you cast it.

As for the polymorph shapes... well, they pretty much suck... Like most Ranger spells, actually. I love the class, but I can't deny that their spell list is probably the least useful of anyone's. Cat's Grace is about the only one that I use with any regularity, along with the occasional Invis. Purge. Of the shapes, the only one I hear of getting any use is the Troll form, as it lets you regenerate damage. But I've never used it, because I normally have at least a few ranks in Heal.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The elemental protection spells are good too.

6. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

And Ultrasight (or whatever it's called in the english version).

Does the ranger get Darkness?

7. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

[​IMG] Aaargh! I knew I forgot something! :bang: Yes, the Elemental protection spells and Ultravision are all handy too. Strange how little details like that get lost at 1:30 am, isn't it? :shake:

8. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Some insight on Polymorph self spell. I suppose it does not have that much use for rangers as arcane spellcasters, but it's still useful enough. If you're playing in a low magic world with costly healing, it's basicaly free and relatively fast healing. Also, if you're playing a dex-oriented ranger with low strenght, few full plates +5 on the ground and a score of pests on your way to the shop, troll makes it easy - your strenght allows you to run with high encumberance and your regeneration allows you to disregard the enemies. Of course, since you're a ranger you might just hide, but it's slower... kinda does feel more ranger-like than mad wade through everything in as freakishly ugly a shape as a troll :D

Fighting ability should be inferior to your original shape, with the level you're at when you gain the spell, but caster level does insure you wont shift back to it anytime soon.

9. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31

Invis Purge does in fact move with the player. It has a very large aura but NWN just doesn't display the aura -- if it did you'd see a big circle around your character similar in size and shape to a dragon's fear aura. It lasts 1 round/level I believe.

10. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

Should last 1 min/level. Don't know if the game allows it to remain active when you go through doors and such though.

11. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Does anyone have a list of those? I could comment on them but I don't remember all of them and don't remember the exact names, either. They are somewhat comparable to paladin spells, but less powerful IMHO and don't seem to be useful so often in a normal game, such as the campaigns.

12. fade Gems: 13/31

The troll polymorph is the only combat effective polymorph, and then mainly it is most useful for a wizard as a low level tensors. But it does give you regeneration and should give you a significant HP boost, but you lose any DR piercing capabilities so use it wisely. ;p

13. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

In my game, InvPurge just functions one time on casting. After that, it has no effect. A bug?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.