1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Death, Metagaming and Twinking

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Erran, Aug 3, 2001.

1. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] This is NOT meant to be getting at poor Herf, it's just that he's the first unfortunate to suffer 'perma-death'. Everyone needs to understand the groundrules for persistent online NWN:

1) If you drop below 0HP you are unconcious, bleeding to death. You cannot/ should not send OoC messages or ICQs to your buddies saying help me or ressurect me. Same when you die. If you use out of game methods to achieve an in game result that your character could not do its called metagaming. If caught you get booted.

2) What happens to your characters body and gear is purely up to the survivors. They cannot just give that stuff to the next character you roll, that's called twinking. There is no in-game reason why they should. Because they like your face? Because they take pity on you? Why not give it to my beggar? They can sell it, keep it or give it to a church. They could possibly sell it to your next character, but they would be expected to roleplay getting the best price for it. Anyone caught Twinking gets booted.

3) Raise Dead: Requires finding at least a 9th level cleric of a compatible church. They will charge at least 450gp + 500gp for materials. At 1st level you lose 1 pt Con permanently. At higher levels you lose 1 level. It's unlikely to be worth it below ~ 3rd level.

[This message has been edited by Erran (edited August 03, 2001).]

2. Tasohan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Thanks Erran. I didnt knew that with metagaming.

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Erran, I think that your alignment gets near lawful evil lately... :p

4. Erran Gems: 19/31

Muhahahaaaa! Damn right! Seriously, it probably sounds a bit petty when you are only handing down some hide armour and rations, but when people start handing down +1 swords to their'next' character you are on the road to Powergaming Hell, like EQ.

5. Skedaddle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Sounds more like LN to me, it does :)

6. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I really have to agree with Erran here. I do feel sorry for Herf as I don't think he understood that his chracter still had 4 HP. But still, he's dead now and really noone has the cash to resurect him, nor would Xalen even if he did have the cash. The point here is that an old character and a new character never even knew the other existed, so why would the new one be entitled to the other's stuff, expecially when the new starts with enough gold to easily buy the other characters stuff plus some more. And why would a character just give away treasure to somebody new, unless that character was a sap (which some are ;)). Point being, death sucks and I will hate it when Xalen dies here (as I'm sure he will). But ah, life goes on...

7. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] From my post of July 21 on 'Murder in Broad Daylight'

OoC: To Herf. you will regain 1HP per night of rest. Of course, if a priest or druid were to visit you and cast clw ...

But no-one did. It's not the DMs job to keep players alive, that's your responsibility.

8. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Don't get me wrong, I do agree that you told him, as I clearly remember that post. For some reason or another, though, he thought that stay in the Inn and a good meal healed him up to full HP. And I agree it was partly my fault. I meant to answer his question of whether or not the stay in the inn and the meal would completly heal him, but quite frankly I forgot. Sorry Herf.

9. herf Guest

No worries, it was my fault. Thinking back i should have asked Pimm to heal me before we retired for the night. no-bodys fault but my own.
    Anyways, now ive got a new elven ranger, and this time my characters good so he wont be hated :)

10. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

rather confusing, it isnt out yet, how could you die?

edit: nevermind :)

[This message has been edited by kevlar0101 (edited August 11, 2001).]

11. Vile Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

If there's one thing that I hate very much in my games as a DM, it's Metagaming. I always had to remind my players at first, but no longer. They're all used to it now, and it's much better. Metagaming seriously takes the fun out of A LOT of things.

I never really had much of a problem with this so called "twinking" (I knew the idea, but didn't have a label for it.) in my games, but I could definately see how it would be VERY stupid to do. You would have to be a very poor role-player to even consider doing so.

Word to the wise: Stick to the rules and play in character. The DM will be very happy. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.