1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Am I the only one who boycotted this game?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by IronEagle, Mar 7, 2003.

1. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

All because it was not party based (amasing that 1 little thing pissed me off enough to play it for 30 seconds and then stop)

[ March 07, 2003, 19:09: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

You spent all that money on a game and then gave up with it after 30 seconds?

Geez, I struggled with Pool of Radiance for a day or two before the sheer naffness of it just made me throw it in the bin, and NWN is a masterpiece compared to that.

3. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

You realized that it was not party-based after playing only 30 seconds. Don't you ever read the game descriptions in the box or reviews in magazines, the internet, and game forums? ...Or is this just a big joke?

4. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

dont remember saying it bought it... heh played it at a friends, and no i didnt read reviews on it way back then... lets just say i have boycotted this game since they day it was released
    and actually i prolly played for 20 mins before i figured it out

5. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Actually it's not party based because it's meant to be a multiplayer game... you can play as a party like that. The single player story in NWN really bored me.. not even near BG2's quality, in any sense really.. I mean, BG2 even had more interesting graphics, which is quite impressive considering how old it is now. But it didn't have the multiplayer possibilities that NWN has. If you can find a good place to play this game online, with people who know how to roleplay and now just hack n slash, this game is brilliant, and very much party based.

6. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Neverwinter Nights is the worst of all the D&D games in my opinion (except POR of course)
    The IE games look better and the stories are better.
    I dont play NWN anymore and probably never will.

7. Seyahat Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I would imagine you'd find more people who have boycotted NWN on a different message board. One would think that the people who spend time here are the ones who actually *like* the game.

8. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I agree with idoru. The games sngle plyer mode was kind of boring, but it has great mulitplayer
    system. Especially if you are playing with people who know how to play role-play games. Also, if youlayd multiplayer and each person had a six person party it would get way too confusing.

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I really tried to give NWN a chance thinking that the multiplayer would be really neat. But it wasnt, you can make wonderful modules and create amazing worlds and fill it with the best role players you can find and the superb DM's to go with it and the game is till boring. Why? A simple answer, the gameplay is just crappy, it is not fun. Battles are no fun, the magic are no fun, you cant interact at all with the world. NWN lacks in the most hard defined of game qualities, it just is not fun to play, no matter what you do with it.

10. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Don't listen to joacqin, he's a confused jerk.

The multiplayer aspect of the game is pretty good, I just like the idea that there's now an endless supply of free content for the game, and I enjoy seeing some new and original mods coming out for the game. Some of it is pretty good, a lot of it is better than the stuff bioware actually makes.

About the gameplay itself, I don't mind it much, but I will concede... there's something wrong, something 'off' about the missle and spell system in the game. Most of the combat ends up right in your face, and it does sort of lead to a feeling of sameness throughout I think.

11. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] ArtEChoke, you forgot to insert the ;) at the end of your first sentence there! IMO Joacqin is right.

12. Moghol Khan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I agree the game just sucks I am in chapter 2 and only role playing I was able to do was "give more money" stuff. When compared to ransom quest in BG2 it really semms like a joke. Story should have been better. And like many other games, for evil alignment it is unfair

13. Fergus Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] I bought it when it came out and have played it less than 5 hours.
    It just didn't have the same feel as BG or BG2.
    I had probs with my graphics card but relaced that soon after buying the game but just got so miffed off playing the game.
    I played BG1, BG2 fully (with add ons) but just don't get the same feel for NMN.
    I'll start it again sometime but just don't feel like it at the moment.

14. silke Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

the multiplayer was aload of cobblers, they say wot a huge online envioroment it has, gezzz theres more peeps in the dm server in UT,, ok fair enough the multiplayer is fun , then a couple of hours l8er it sux , if you want a gud roleplaying online game then i suggest everquest, it should not even be a multiplayer, the single player is where the enjoyment is, well it was until they replaced bg with nwn, nwn has no single player enjoyment , and the multiplayer gets boring pretty quik to, wot a heap of **** that game was,,,,,,,,infact out of all the "let down" games there ever was, nwn has to be the biggest let down ever.

15. idoru Gems: 11/31

If you keep writing like that you'll have a mod breathing down your neck in no time.

NWN is all about multiplayer.. unfortunately multiplayer is all about who you play with. I wouldn't recommend any of the public servers on Gamespy.. but if you're into more serious roleplaying, try alandfaraway.net.

16. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

The multiplayer side of things has never really interested me much but I think a good game should function perfectly well both as single and multiplayer. I've played the single player version of BG1 & 2 and loved them both but the single player in NWN was just downright tedious from start to finish.

And Silke? For crying out loud, buy yourself a dictionary before you post here again. I could spell better when I was in nursery school.

17. Nazgul Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Heaven forbid. I played the original NWN back when it came out in 91 all the way up till it closed in 97.

That was what I thought was the greatest part of the game. You get to control a Single character (you, as if you played D&D), and you interacted with other characters.

This game is to recreate playing regular D&D Games just on the computer.

Since I know people move around, and can't play with their friends. So one if them creats their world, and invites their friends to play... and you are set to play the game. With your character, and personality for that character... instead of trying it with many characters.

I currently play on the NWN:R (which is the Never winters Nights: resurection (recreation of the original NWN)

http://www.nwnserver.net/

18. Bateluer Gems: 11/31

You all must remember that the game is a multiplayer game. The 'single player' is essentially demostrating what you can do with the toolset.

19. fyernine Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Sure, the single player is boring. Designed by committee. I gave up playing the game through boredom.

Then I got around to trying some of the modules I'd downloaded. Shadowlords - I couldn't stop playing. Good story, good npc characters.

I agree the combat and spell casting gets a little boring (that's the inevitable problem of having a visual version of a game that whose magic is all about the imagination) but try some of the modules - especially Shadowlords - it's not designed by committee, it felt like I was playing a friend's pen and paper D and D dungeon, except on the computer. Cool.

BG1 and 2 were good - but you guys who claim to have played all the expansions all the way through etc????? You really telling me you didn't get bored.....???? Or do you really not have lives outside the PC?

20. Kuldaharian Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] both neverwinter and pool radiance are worst d&d game...but i like nverwinter's innovations...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.