1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The O.C. - Newbie Thoughts

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Harbourboy, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I only found an option to 'toggle spellcasting'. I now need to go back to an earlier save because this demon is wasting me without Protection from Evil.

2. Bovine_Knight Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Not so, Harbourboy. Rogues can decimate undead with a wand of the heavens or gems of brightness, and a club of smiting can wipe out unlucky constructs with a single blow, regardless of whether or not they can see you. Also, traps can hinder and damage your tougher foes whilst you pepper them from afar with lightning arrows and the like, or send in your scroll-summoned help to slaughter them - my rogue found a scroll of Summon Monster IX before going up against a legion of skeleton knights in HoTU. With Use Magical Device and Set Trap, rogues can take on just about any foe imaginable, so long as they are prepared with the proper equipment.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Sounds complicated. I don't have any scrolls or wands at all because I sold them all to make room in my inventory.

4. Bovine_Knight Gems: 2/31

Lol. It's really not so bad, once you get used to it. You use scrolls and wands just like normal wizards/sorcerers, and I'm sure you'll find some along the way anyway.

5. Harbourboy

Cool - I found an awesome new rapier that is all flaming. Looks like a lightsabre. I seem to find more magic rapiers than anything else. Is this normal, or is it rigged because it knows I have weapon focus in rapiers?

6. Bovine_Knight Gems: 2/31

Hm...some chests in the game are scripted to certain classes or certain feats, so it certainly is possible.

7. Harbourboy

Hide in Plain sight rocks in the Green Griffon dungeon for escaping when you're surrounded by spiders and mummies. Actually, my Shadowdancer levels enabled me to get through most of that without fighting anybody (given that at level 12, I now get hardly any XP for fighting minor monsters)

8. Khemsa Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Harbourboy,

Certain chests in the game are weapon chests which always grant a magic weapon. In determining what weapon to generate, the program first looks for any weapon focus you have. If you have a weapon focus, it will generate that kind of weapon. However, if you have two or more weapon focii it will only go with the first weapon alphabetically (thus Rapier over Shortsword, for example) and ignore other weapon focus feats alltogether.

In case you are curious, if you lack any weapon focii, the engine will spawn the weapon in accordance with you class.

Thus, since you have a weapon focus in Rapier, every weapon focus chest you find will have a Rapier. If you did not have any WF feats, the chests would generate Rogue weapons: Rapier, Shortsword, Dagger, etc.

9. Harbourboy

Phew, I think I'm finally done in Port Llast. Time to head for Luskan, I guess. Only a few thousand points away from Level 13 and a 9th rogue level. I could do with that extra sneak attack damage.

I wonder if I will ever find anything to buy with all those gold I seem to have accumulated.

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Nope. Not until HotU do you need loads of gold.

11. Harbourboy

OK - time to load up on fancy missiles then, as they are an essential item in the inventory of stealthy rogue who doesn't want to get anywhere near anything that can't be sneak attacked and/or has any sort of mind altering aura.

12. Khemsa Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Do not be too profligate in your spending. When you first enter Chapter Three you will have a chance to spend lots of gold buying up some of the great magic items available.

13. Harbourboy

Cool - now reached level 13 (Rogue 9 / Ranger 2 / Shadowdancer 2) I now have enough UMD to use most of the wands I have carried around. But it doesn't seem like you need much UMD to cast a spell from a scroll because I seem to be able to cast all spells. There are still some robes I can't use yet.

I'm beginning to realise another problem with this game. Every location seems to look exactly the same, as if there were only half a dozen graphics that they had to re-use over and over again.

14. Misery Gems: 2/31

that's one of the problems with using tilesets, and just one of the reasons why the CEP was created, giving designers more scope for their vision

after you've finished the old OC, try some modules that use the CEP - some designers have come up with some pretty amazing looking stuff

15. Harbourboy

What's CEP?

It'll be ages before I've finished the OC, as I am still wandering around Luskan trying to work out what to do.

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  17. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

There's also a description of it in the Mod reviews forum. Hmm, mod review forum... got to be a review then not a descrition :)

18. Harbourboy

Hmm, this game is beginning to drag a bit.... I'm sick of wandering around Luskan and sewers that all look the same.

The only bright spot is that the story seems to have picked up a bit of momentum again now that I am in the Host Tower.

Plus only a few thousand XP before my next level up.

19. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Harbourboy,
    Regarding your comments about Linu: did you remember to tell her to level up? I am asking because I remember her being a pretty good melee character (high AC, decent to hit power). However, when you get her in chapter II, she is at level 8; and if you forgot to tell her to level up... oh well!
    (it did happen to me a couple of times :) )

Of course, she is a pretty terrible spell caster. Spending all those hammers of god on low level skeletons, then when you have to fight the boss, she casts virtue :) .Well, this holds for all the spellcasters in NWN

And i agree with the comments that the expansion pack campaigns are a lot better

20. Harbourboy

Yeah, I have levelled Linu up but I spend most of the time solo these days for two reasons:
    1) Linu's decision making is so poor that even though she is OK in melee she often gets herself killed by taking on more than she can handle (e.g. not running away to heal in time) or casts stupid spells at the wrong time. I then can't be bothered going back to Tyr to get her
    2) I get more XP without her.

I'm now in Chapter 3 now so I'll get her again because I assume she has another quest available.

Just made it to level 14, Rogue 10 / Ranger 2 / Shadowdancer 2. I hate it how so many enemies are not sneak attackable.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.