1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

ALFA almost full!

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Sylvus Moonbow, Nov 20, 2000.

1. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

For anyone who wanted to play in an ongoing world set in the Forgotten Realms, www.alandfaraway.net is your best bet. With secure vaulted characters, support from Bioware and about 50+ Dungeon Masters already to count, it is by far the best online world to play in.

Now I'm not saying this because I will be running one of the servers, but because of all the other NWN World Sites I have checked out and read over.

At last count during Wednesday's DM meeting, there were 480 registered and accepted players out of a maximum 500. Once that number is full, joining will no longer be available.

For those interested, I will be your Dungeon Master for Undermountain (Levels 1, 2 and 3) along with Skullport, the evil city found beneath Waterdeep.

Syl...

2. Grumblebelly Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I just put in an application on ALFA's site, Syl. Delia - female human rogue. Hope I was in time! Thanks to you and Taluntain for pointing in the right direction.

3. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

I think they actually ended up bumping up the application amount to 600 so I don't think you'll have a problem.

They've turned down a few applicants for failure to want to "roleplay".

One application sent in said they were Drizzt's brother and Largo, the guy who checks all applicants laughed and told the person to re-apply as something else or change his character history. He wanted weapons like Drizzt. LOL! :)

Syl...

4. Grumblebelly Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] Guess I'll have to mark the Machine of Lum the Mad and the Hammer of Thunderbolts off my level 1 character sheet then...Ha ha

When this gets started, what will I need to do to request your server?

5. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

You cannot start on my server due to the fact Undermountain is not a starting point. It's the largest and foulest dungeon in all of the Forgotten Realms and you'll have to travel there. You can though, start in Waterdeep and gain entrance through the Yawning Portal, which lowers brave warriors into the passages below.

Skullport will be my server, on the 3rd level of Undermountain and only "half-drow" characters in ALFA will be starting there, which is about 8 applicants :)

You'll have to go through 3 levels of hellish passages, traps and foul beasts to arrive in Skullport.

Syl...

6. Vile Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

How exactly does this ALFA work? I'm very interested in online RPGs. I play 3rd (previously 2nd) edition D&D weekly with my friends,(in person, not online) but I have played online numerous times on mIRC.

7. Crazy J Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I put in my application, and got accepted! Yay!! My character, human female monk, Crystal of Waterdeep is ready for adventure! Thanks for the info on ALFA!

8. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

Basically Vile, you apply with a roleplaying character to the ALFA Network where your character is then screened and if accepted, put into the Player Database.

Once the game comes out and the ALFA Community starts up, your character will join the many other hundred who also applied and got accepted. Pick a starting point anywhere in the Forgotten Realms that have been designed by the DM Team (Last count was 53 DMs) and start your adventure.

Now the real difference between the ALFA Persistant world and those of EQ, UO, AC is that it is as close to Pen and Paper rules you are going to get. Simply put, the character you are creating should have a lot of thought and you should also play these characters the way you would in Pen and Paper. Once you die, your character is dead unless someone in your party or in the area come along and raise you.

Dungeons, Tombs and dangerous wilderness areas would not be wise to enter alone. There will be enough low level areas to explore at the start of course, since everyone begins at 1st level as well as safer quests based in cities and what not.

Once the designs are up, you'll start to aquire more and more information about each server and area in ALFA that can help any player decide where he wants to go based on level restrictions, how tough the creatures are, etc. Much like rumours in any world "Best not be heading into the Troll Moors unless you want to be served over a pit of fire!" or something along those lines.

Syl...

9. Vile Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Cool, thanks for the info. I might just try it.

10. Grumblebelly Gems: 2/31

Hey CrazyJ!

Maybe Crystal can team up with Delia, my level 1 human rogue, who also hails from Waterdeep. Two mean gals with a taste for adventure!

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hey Syl, so how's Undermountain and Skullport going? Are you able to actually design any of it, or is it all on paper, and the real design has to wait for the release of NWN?

I wish you the best of luck, and I personally think you'd make a great DM :)

12. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

I'm designing all of it. Skullport will be to a tee as it is in the FR Sourcebook "Skullport".

Undermountain will be both original and box set based for I don't want people with the boxed set be able to look at the maps and know where they are going.

ALFA, as far as I've heard will have a copy of NWN a month before shipment, but if that goes for all the DMs too, I don't know.

Hopefully I'll have the time to be a "great DM" :)

Syl...

13. Grumblebelly Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] How is the Undermountain tourney planning going? Folks had a lot of questions about it on the ALFA boards. Did you ever determine level limits? Assuming there were no other PC's hunting for the rings, what levels would you expect to attempt the dungeon?

14. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

I'm still ironing out the Tournament Rules myself but I think the Tournament will be fit to be for characters level 3 to 5 or 5+. I'm not sure yet.

Undermountain is at least 3rd level or higher exploring. A total level of 18 levels for the first level (6 3rd level players in a party) which will only get worse the lower you go.

Syl...

15. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ah, yes, yes... I knew you'd be designing the whole thing. What I meant was HOW are you designing it? Do you do a paper-only design for now and then do the "real" design once NWN is released? Or do you have some knowledge of how the designing is done in NWN and can use that knowlegde to help out now?

16. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Hey Syl, I don't geddit, if I look at the ALFA map it's still 80% white (unclaimed servers) so how come its nearly full? Or am I misunderstanding and it's your server thats nearly full?

17. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

Only a set amount of players is what I mean. 600 or so is the max.

Syl...

18. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] I guess the limit will be increased if/when more servers come on line. Anyhow, I'm in. Thomas the Rhymer, bard, even more irritating than Haer Dalis. No doubt you will have some undetectable and deadly trap waiting for me.

19. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

Actually, I have use for Bards in spreading rumours about my server, so don't cut yourself short, or in half (no pun intended) :)

Syl...

20. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] OK it's a deal. Thomas is a present residing in Mistledale and publishing a Broadsheet - see www.erran.fsnet.co.uk
    He intends this to have a 'Realms Rumours' page where he publishes gossip from passing travellers (i.e any important/ misleading info that deviant DMs want to sling his way)

PS Erran is still in Amn persuing the doomed romance with Mazzy, who is his size but above him. That thing with Aerie was merely platonic.

PPS
    Tal says, don't leave dots after URLs. They don't go anywhere. ;)

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited December 19, 2000).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.