1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Final Monster in the Prison (Spoiler)

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Blackthorne TA, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I haven't seen anyone talk about the Intellect Devourer, so I was wondering if I was the only one who found it a pain in the ass, or if I went about it the wrong way.

I had no trouble killing all the hosts it entered, but once I had to kill it naked, it took FOREVER! I had on a belt that provided me 5 points of piercing damage reduction (which was handy since the Intellect Devourer does piercing damage), but it's armor class was high enough that I missed quite a bit, and even when I hit it , it also had damage reduction of 5 points at least for the weapons I had.

Was there another weapon type I should have used (I had a longsword, handaxe and arrows) or was this just as hard for everyone else?

2. Confirmer9 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Well, I didn't think he was very hard, but rather annoying. I also had a hard time trying to hit him (my fighter was duel-wielding long swords).

Luckily I had Tomi there to pick him off with some arrows while I swung my swords at him like CRAZY... It took FOREVER!

3. b_p Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I agree, he wasnt a challenge, but took awhile to kill. Why do they make guys that are NO challenge but have lots of hit points so u waste time killing them?

4. Rae Gems: 1/31

Perhaps you can tell me what is supposed to happen after you kill the Head Gaoler? Those four idiot guards and I stare at each. I search the room, and then chase off three of the guards. No monster takes control of the last one, no monster attacks me. I've tried casting see invisibility, along with various other things, and out of desperation, I've removed the game and re-installed it. What am I doing wrong?

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    When you kill the Head Gaoler the Intellect Devourer is supposed to leap out of his head. For me, the monster then immediately took over another guard, and kept doing so until I killed them all. Finally when it had no more hosts, I could kill it directly.

6. Kull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

7. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I, being the cool paladin that I am, spoke to the guards and used my charasmatic paladin skills to wake them up! So I didn't kill those poor souls in the last room with the intellect devourer.

I killed Gaoler then the Intellect Devourer afterwards. It wasn't a terribly tough fight.

8. Relic Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I had the same trouble, I killed the Gaoler, a couple of the guards, and talked the other couple into running away. when I finally could start attacking the Devourer, it took me forever, between me and my henchman. Not horribly difficult, it didn't really do much damage to me (playing a rogue), just time consuming. But it was interesting watching it. So my question is, why didn't it try to jump into our brains? It looked like it was just trying to kill us. Logic is that it would need/want one of us to be it's new host.

9. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, it might be a bit more interesting if the Intellect Devourer actually used its special powers, which it currently doesn't due to a major bug.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

10. Just try to persude every single guard and if you succeced they'll get out of their hypnosis. Then it should be naked and free to hit.

11. Syrel Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

you can also just kill the guards instead of talking too them :p if you are bad a persuade it may be easier

12. Honour_Shogun Gems: 1/31

And of course, much more fun to kill the guards dead instead of sparing their weak minded lives...

13. Mortensen Banned

Hello I'm a Level 3 fighter/Level 1 Rogue using a Longsword and I can't seem to kill that flipping intellect devourer :help: !

Help Meeeee!

14. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I've found that it's way easier to kill it when you have a large will save bonus (so you can resist it's mental attacks) and are capable of dealing a large amount of non magical damage. Just start whacking at it and if you can resist it's innate powers for the first few rounds you should be able to hit it enough to stop it casting any of it's magic.

15. Mortensen Banned

I'm getting really fed up and disillusioned with this game. :flaming: How can I play a game and concentrate on it when it crashes out every 10 minutes? I keep losing myself and woe betide me when I don't save regularly. (I'm still on the brain eater thingy by the way) :hmm: :cry:

16. Atreides Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I didn't like the fight with the Intellect Devourer too much either though it's mental attacks didn't touch my character (have a Cleric with really high Wisdom.)
    At Mortensen:
    What kind of computer do you have? maybe you don't meet the system requirements for the game? I know that NWN is a harder game to run (not nearly as difficult as Morrowind) but still it requires a higher end machine.

17. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Atraides, have a look at my post about dll errors and you'll see what the computer is, it's got an additional 256 mb RAM now though, so it's sitting on 384 Mb

18. Pix Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

the devourer shouldn't be a problem if you are loaded on cure potions, which you should be at that point in the game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.