1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Warning...don't let this or similar happen to you

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Slackertoast, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Slackertoast Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] So I decide I'm going to try to develop an Arcane Archer. My plan was to start out by playing an elven ranger(seemed like a logical choice at the time) and then grab a level in MU. Pick up the Point blank shot and weapon focus longbow along the way and then after that proceed to leveling up arcane archer.
    Well, I had a bunch of fun charming the Grizzly bear and watching him kill every thing. Next thing you know I'm level gaining level 9 and I remember to get my Mu level before I get too deep. Time goes on and before you know it I'm approaching level 10. click on the gain a level button and off I go into arcane archer land. Right...Wrong.Very very wrong...That prestige class is not highlighted...What the hell?

Probably an easy question for you vets but what did I do wrong? I know it now and feel like an idiot, but I will see if someone else knows just for fun.

2. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

A similar thing happened to my friend, he just can't be a Blackguard.
    OK now, what's MU? And you have a wizard level, needed feats and weapon focus haven't you?Ah and you are an elf aren't you?If so, there might be a bug.

3. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Same here... Just with the Harper Scout prestige class... Couldn'y pick it... Sucks... Never should've bought the game...

4. Kiwi Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

[​IMG] Before there was an SoU available, just the hype & fanfare, it seemed to me that only the EVIL "Prestige Classes" had any real power in them, and I just don't swing that way. So I never have considered the "Non-Evil Prestige Classes" as worth a second look. Before even getting out of Drogan's house to look around in Hilltop, it was already obvious that only the heavy-Melee characters were going to have an average time gettung through.

There was just a sense of telegraphed warnings not to try a pure Ranger or pure Rogue, neither of which could make it without a lot of special hand-holding.

:rolleyes:

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm guessing you made a stupid Ranger? A prerequisite is the ability to cast 1st level arcane spells, so you need an 11 INT at least.

6. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I have to disagree. I played the game through as a pure Elven ranger, with Deekin as my henchman for the most part, and had a great time. The odd battle was a little difficult, but nothing overly frustrating.

7. Slackertoast Gems: 5/31

Yes Blackthorne you are correct. I built him for the minimum spec to get that 1 level in Wizard(sorry about the MU{MagicUser} bit. old AD&D habit rears its ugly head). Well what do you know. You can make a Wizard that can't cast anything but cantrips. Guess thats what I get for ignoring the Wizard class. A hard lesson from me to all who are going to entertain a prestige class.Don't let it happen to you.
    I personally don't feel you should be able to make a wizard that can't cast 1st level spells, but that is another story. I guess its 'back to the begining Vicenni(sp)' for me.

8. book_marq Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I believe you need at least a 11 wis score so you can cast those first lv ranger spells.

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That is correct, but it doesn't have anything to do with his problem. Rangers cast divine spells and the prerequisite for an Arcane Archer is arcane spells.

10. Slackertoast Gems: 5/31

Thats exactly one of the mistakes I made. I gave him a 14 Wisdom and a 10 Int...

11. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

The simple solution to that is, read the manual properly before you plan your character.

12. Slackertoast Gems: 5/31

I would like to know whow to read the manual 'properly'. Now is that sitting in a chair at the dining room table or maybe kicking back in my recliner. Or better yet, I probably should have turned the pages with my left hand and not my right. Then it would be down right 'proper'.

13. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I don't recall what it says in the manual, but the in game message that displays while loading areas mentions that at least one level of an arcane casting class is required. It does not specify that the character must be able to cast 1st level spells.

While the message is not false, it is not entirely accurate either, or rather, misleading. I knew that an arcance archer had to be able to cast first level spells in PnP, but seeing that message made me think that perhaps it was different in NWN.

I can see where the confusion was allowed to enter. I was fortunate that I had planned my arcane archer as an archer bard with a little fighter mixed in for the extra feats. For my build I wanted a 16 CHA for the extra spells and planned on being able to cast up to 3rd level spells.
    We live, we learn. :good:

14. Archan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] In reguards to what you have been saying the ranger is cross classed with sorceress.. yes..
    well to my knowledge the sorceresses require charisma to weave spells not wisdom or intellegence. please correct me if i am wrong but from my recollection from using sorcerers all the time i believe it is charisma maybe that is your problem.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.