1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Henchmen give you more XP?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Elvenblade, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Is this true? I read it at uhs-hints.com

2. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Hmm... Everywhere else, I'd read the exact opposite. I could understand if, perhaps, your henchman were way behind you in levels, but they're only ever one off. They're right about them being a big drain at low levels, though, especially in the OC, as they start off at a higher level than you in Chapter 1. Generally, my tactic is to clear out all the easier foes from all 4 districts (the Zombies in Beggar's Nest are particularly easy to deal with; they're so ridiculously slow that there's simply no excuse for letting them get to melee range), before motoring through the Peninsula jail, which I find to be easiest.

Adding low-level party members worked in IWD2, so there is precedent in 3E rules-based games, but I didn't think that NWN bothered. Next battle, I'll get my Ranger to venture into the fray with and without a badger, to see the effect.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm guessing it depends on whether you keep your henchman only one level below your own all the time.

The first time I played, my Ranger reached 20th level before the end, and people wondered how that was since most reached 16th level or so only.

Now that I've played again, playing a Rogue with Daelan, and have only reached 16th or 17th level, I think I may have an explanation.

When I played a Rogue with Daelan, I didn't want him trying to bash doors/chests if I failed to open them, becaue I'd rather pick the lock. It turns out that every chapter, Daelan is back to the defaults, so I had to speak with him to put him back to the "non-bashing" mode. It also turned out that I could ask him to level up as well...

When I played a Ranger with Tomi, I never needed to speak with Tomi to get him to change his tactics; the deafults were what I wanted, so I never spoke with him (except to tell him to wait or follow). So, I'm guessing that at the start of every chapter, Tomi was at a much lower level than just one below my own, so I would get a bunch more experience until the next time I levelled up and brought Tomi up to the level he should be.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yeah, that would only be true if you never levelled up your henchman, thus reducing your average party level. It's the same thing as level squatting in IWD2.

If you keep your henchman as his maximum level, then he will drain XP from you like a leech.

5. angryguy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

It also says on the uhs site that NWN is *not* like IWD2. In IWD2 you could level squat happily, since the game looked at your level, saw it was low and gave you huge XP. Apparently, NWN looks at the XP, and therefore the level that you could be. So telling your henchman not to level up would be pointless.

6. erikhk Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

If you got a lower level henchman, you'll get more exp... it may not make sense, but that's how it is.

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    That's strange, BTA. My paladin never had a henchman for a second and he still got only level 16, I think.

For all I know, henchmen take your XP from kills and stuff but they give you quests for some XP, as well. I suppose one could use this to his advantage.

Also, different classes get different amount of XP for things because there's some messing by BioWare with effective levels in order to make up for the heavy emphasis on physical battle that doesn't really give wonderful opportunities to other classes, at least in the beginning.

8. erikhk Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I remember using a low level henchman to "take away" the multi-classing penalties, i've no idea how far you could abuse this though.

9. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

That was true in the first several versions of the game. One of the patches changed it so that henchmen do eat up XP.

In true 3E D&D rules, having a henchman would increase the total experience given but it would divide it equally among all group members. That is what newer versions of NWN do.

10. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I think Rastor is right, I never got more experience with henchmen, no matter what their level (and I forgot to level them up quite often)

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The henchmen in this game are mostly useless anyway so it's not really an issue. They're bound to die within seconds of entering combat so they're not going have any impact on your XP anyway. I've long since given up trudging back to restore those losers every time they die.

12. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I took it as a challenge to keep my henchperson alive through every battle. Sometimes it's pretty tough.

13. Harbourboy

It certainly would be a big challenge to keep a NWN henchman alive given their levels of incompetence. At least in BGII, you could turn off the NPC AI and control them yourselves to help stop them from doing dumb things.

14. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Do summoned minions/animal companions use up XP just like henchman?

15. Harbourboy

Tassadar - yes, they will influence the XP you get, sometimes stealing some and sometimes providing more, depending on their level.

16. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Damn! Guess I won't be an undead summoning necromancer then!

17. Harbourboy

As noted previously, the XP loss for summons is actually a non-issue because ultimately you "catch up" through temporarily being at a lower level and getting more XP for your victories due to the operation of the challenge rating system.

18. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

I checked my xp between battles with/out henchman. I get exactly 1/2 xp per kill with a hecnhy.

It's REALLY hard to keep 'em alive, unless you pick the better henchmen. The bard is awesome, she has lots ofHP too, problem is she has low AC and goes in melee to cast spells :-\. Rogue sucks, I hate Tomi, can't disarm a single trap his level, because he spent all his skill points on hiding and moving silently.... greeeaaattt skills.....

19. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

grimnaw and Deekin are awesome however both lived thru some fantastic punishment in my game.

20. Harbourboy

In the OC, most of the henchmen are completely useless. They just make too many dumb decisions like charging straight into battle and not running away when it gets too tough. I got so sick of going back and regenerating them that I gave up and just went solo. In SoU and HotU, they seem to be a wee bit more intelligent and don't seem to die as much.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.