1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Roguery for non-Rogues

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Seyahat, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Seyahat Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

OK. Let's say I don't want to use Tomi for my henchman and I am not a rogue myself. What are my options?

Locks are not too difficult: knock (or fireball) for sorcerer/mages, smash for fighter types (though there are certainly some chests that seem to require superhuman strength to dent, even with a battle-axe!).

A pixie can do just about anything (though I find they are a real blow to the "coolness" of my character. Walking around with a panther or even a crow looks pretty neat. Tinkerbell just doesn't have the same impact. Also she seems to take special delight in getting herself killed at the least opportunity.

Traps are a bit more difficult. Pixies can do them, but "knock" does not seem to work (the logic of this puzzles me). Big characters can simply "take the hit." (though that seems a little unrealistic to me... would you suffer third degree burns over much of your body to open a chest?) Mages can torture summoned dire badgers (again, this just seems a little too "unheroic" to me).

Skill points work too, of course, but most of us non-rogue types get so few of them.

Are there other strategies out there that I am missing? I can't seem to find a way to play the game solo in the style that I would like without taking at least a few levels of rogue (which can sometimes be difficult to rationalize, role-playing-wise).

I'd like to hear your thoughts

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Yea, something very obvious. Just possess your familiar and spring any traps with it. Chests, whatever...

3. Seyahat Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

At least I distribute my cruelty between my crow and my badgers equally that way.

4. Bazarov Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

If you destroy the chest from range, either via spells or via missile weapon (probably requiring magic ammo of one sort or another) then the trap is disabled as well. I have found melf's acid arrow much more useful as 'knock' than 'knock' itself.
    Clerics can use the Trickery Domain to get a +1 per level to all thief-type skills, which would be a decent backup option to using some cross-class points. (As well as buff dex and int if necessary).
    Last but not least, you could just give up on trapped chests; there isn't anything game-crucial in any of them. There is plenty of stuff in the single-player game; just deal with leaving some things behind.
    Most chests that are unbashable are also unpickable (or set very, very high).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.