1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hatred for Neverwinter

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by darkelf, Jul 6, 2002.

1. darkelf Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I just noticed something. In general not many people have good thing to say about NWN. I looked on alot of message boards, to include the official one. From the level cap to AI issues. People just don't seem to really care for NWN.

I personally liked it till I got to lv 20 and then it seemed to lose its luster. Just trying to start a convo here not actually start a flame.

2. Deathmaster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Who has been bad mouthing nwn, i demand to know their names and address so i can go other there and ............ peacefully try to make them reconsider. You thought i was gonna say something else, didn't yah.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm having a blast with NWN. The one thing that bugs me the most is the limited interaction you have with henchpeople. You can't give them anything but potions to better equip them, and you can't load them down as a pack mule either :)

4. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

That's not serious accusation. If you don't like something, post what that is.
    I mean, I was absolutely clear when I said I don't like releasing a game before bugs are taken care of. I can't say I don't like it because many people don't like it. I have my own taste.

NWN is not out here (in Europe) yet. Until it comes (and until patch 10.8735634658.78436584 is released) I can't comment anything but the bugs presence and low quality of screenshots.

5. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Every game in existance gets flooded with negative comments in the first few weeks it comes out. Its not possible to make a game that satisfies everyone and dissatisfied people are more likely to say something than satisfied ones.

I enjoyed the single player campaign, though not all the design decisions were the way I would have done it. And I am pleased with the long term prospects of the game, based on the DM client and toolset.

The game certainly isn't doing poorly.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

6. Slackertoast Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I am enjoying the game but I don't think it was worth 60 bucks. Thats a little high. Most games are in the $29.99 to $49.99 range. This one went for $59.99. Thats crap. Pretty soon I will have to decide if I want Icewindale 3 or a new video card.
    One of the qualities that makes NWN a good game is that it came out after the piss-poor PoR. The makers didn't do a bad job with NWN they just didn't do a good job. Thats not saying much considering it took them so long to make it.

--------------------------------
    I think, therefore, I am wrong.
    --------------------------------

7. darkelf Gems: 2/31

I didn't care for the level cap, true it's the D&D rules but sometimes you gotta think replay or even play value. I loved the FF games simply cause there was no hurry and u could go around building ur guys up to 99. Hell, it made the end fight kinda easy but it was still fun to tell a friend Titus is level 98. I look at a game for the replay value. Given it multiplayer but what fun is that if your stuck on level 20?

60 bucks for a game is extreme i give u that. Like the old Janes games of old I guess it cost to have the license, so people got to pay out the but to play. Hell some games are charing on top of the cost of the game. That's why I don't play Everquest. Why should I pay for something I already paid for. Updating servers? Hell everyone i know says that game still crashes.

[This message has been edited by darkelf (edited July 07, 2002).]

8. mASSIVe Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] i'd say nwn right now is the toolset with a nice sample module. it won't last as a sp experience also.

people will reconsider, when they are drowning in new modules. leveling up is nice, getting new powerful items is also nice, but exploring the game with some friends online, interacting with other parties in a roleplaying environment is the great thing about this game!

9. darkelf Gems: 2/31

I gotten this view off the official site. Most are upset with the complex nature of the tool set. I have just tried it and seemed easy to me. I started this because on a whole people seem to be pissed at it. Just ask the guys I tried to play online with. One guy lost his character cause of the crash and the others were forced to reboot.

Call what u will, but besides a couple of puzzles in the game, the game does resemble Diablo in a way. Action related and pretty easy to the point that the weak characters really dont have a chance. Not to mention the weak AI that comes with the people u can hire.

The games got hope, but I remember the old RPG like Dragon Warrior. Simple yes but those damn games took awhile to beat. This game took me three days.

10. It's just that most of the people who posts is either hating NWN or talking about it. I haven't seen a post so far that says: Oh my god! I love NWN!

Maybe because they are busy playing or perhaps that those who hate the game just want to say it public. I have been defending the game but it just doesn't seem that some people won't stop complaining. But that's their call.

11. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I think TriLlex has a point. Most people who enjoy the game are playing it rather than complaining about it. But I think one of the biggest factors is that it's a new *type* of game. The single player campaign that's included with NWN is just a bonus. What you are buying is really the toolset and a game interface to interpret it. I don't recall one bad comment about the interface (I much prefer it to the BG interfaces), and there are only a few issues with the toolset. I've probably spent about as much time playing the game as I have with the toolset.

12. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Ok here you are... I LOVE NEVERWINTER NIGHTS. I love everything about it, it's story it's weapons items NPCs, you name it. I have barley stopped playing this game.

13. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Yeah, a free chance to rant. Heheh. Overall I do like the game and the toolset. But yeah, it does have it's problems, something I never really said about somthing like BG2 right out of the box. Firstly, the idea of non controlable henchmen is bad bad bad. Game designers should be scolded for this every time they think it up. Especially when they think that only having one is a good idea. RPGs, by their very nature have classes that support each other (even the classless ones). When you limit that, you take away some of the built in play value. DnD is centrally built around the party system. Only allowing one henchman, and one that you cannot directly control at that isn't a good thing. Poor design decision.

The game play is very smooth, but I'm still not necessarly digging the radial menu without a toolbar. I'd rather have some sort of simple toolbar perhaps to go along with the hotkeys. Graphics are very nice and detailed in some areas, with the best lighting I've seen to date in an rpg. In other ways, they look flat and sparse at times. Alot of this is the grand scale of the tiles (a good thing) but a lack of placeables/changeable detailes (bad thing). All in all though, graphics and gameplay are still very good.

The toolset is simple and easy. The scripting is going to be the complex part I'm sure, but then, there are bound to be nwn script sites up and running sooner or later. It does have it's bugs however that can still ruin an experience. I've had a couple, one that ruined a module and made me Ctr-Alt-Del it. The server mode I've only tried once, and my module locked up on me. Dunno if that was a problem with the toolset or the server aspect of it. Hey, it might have even be my poor isp. Some of the tilesets are poor, like the rural and dungeon tilesets (I do like making lava dungeons though, otherwise, kinda boring). Others, like the crypt, forest, and city tilesets are exceptional.

Anyway, like any game it has it's plusses and minuses. Dungeon Siege had alot of the things that I listed above as missing from NWN, but I tired of it quickly because it lacked other things NWN does well. In all, I like it alot, but it has it's problems as well. The good thing about a game that's meant to have lots of user created content and online play, however, is that at least issues can be fixed over time. Well, the ones that can be change at least ;)

14. void Guest

I have got to admit it, I'm utterly obsessed with NWN. I just can't wait for the next time I play it, and when I do I'm in a weird fun computer game paradise :D :D :D . Its the best thing that's come alsong in a long long time :) .

15. Confirmer9 Gems: 2/31

I must say that I really enjoy playing NWN. I have gone through the game with my Chaotic Evil Sorcerer (Lord OfDestruction), and my Goody-Tooshoes Fighter. I love the story-line and all of the little (and sometimes big) side-quests.

The only real prob that I have with it is that it's too easy. The only real challenges are towards the end of the game and with the right equipment, the balltes are not all that difficult... My Sorc had an EXTREMELY easy time going through the game. Near the end of the game instead of using my usual TIMESTOP/GREATER CONE of COLD combo, I was using a lot of "stat" effecting spells. That didn't work out that well though... Stupid saving throws!

And my fighter was pretty straight forward. Just make sure he has the right equipment on for the right battle and there ya go. He's a wrecking machine!

16. Oh yes, I found it easy in the start too but that was because I had the difficult slider to Easy. Normal and above is a bit tougher.

17. Confirmer9 Gems: 2/31

Yeah, I know about the difficulty slider. I set it above "core rules" as soon as a started my first game. Needless to say it took me a while to get used to it, but it payed off on giving me a good challenge at the start... And through the second half of the game as well, once the beginning became TOO EASY for my chars.

18. Rael Elrohim Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

If we didnt like it, we wouldnt be spending the hours and hours needed to play it,and find the bugs/ flaws....

I guess people just arent motivated to post their happy happy joy joy feelings...

And as for the price, each chapter is the same length as some other games, so I think it is good value, for what you get.

And the reason that a lvl 20 cap is a problem, is that you get there too quickly. They have made levelling easier, to make the game more appealing. The reason that D&D only goes up to 20, is because it is bloody hard to get there! I do agree that if it is going to be that easy to level up, the cap should be moved. You shouldnt be reaching the level cap during the game, or at least not until the very end, and only then if you have completed every single side quest, and taken experience rather than gold.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.