1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What does the cloak of non-detection do?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Harbourboy, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

[​IMG] The one that you find on the Tasloi in Cloakwood. What is non-detection and what use is this cloak? Is it worth having anybody wear it? I can't see what it does.

2. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    It stops people from scrying your character of course. ;)

3. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Not sure if any protagonists actually scy in BG1.
    It also gives you xp if you return it to it's owner.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What is scrying? Do I get any real advantage from giving it to Coran to wear?

5. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I believe scrying is the use of magic or the like to detect your hidden character.

So if in your case you gave the cloak to Coran, and he is in stealth mode, he can't be detected until he attacks or fails a roll.

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    It also prevents certain divination spells (Detect Invisibility, and I think also Insibility Purge) from removing Invisibility off your character. It won't block True Sight though (since this one also removes Non-detection)

7. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

It's a nice little item, if you want to return it to its owner though, visit the self-important dwarven adventurer, IIRC in an inn in Beregost, or perhaps in a Baldur's Gate (I'm sure you will remember him if you've ever met him because IIRC he initiates dialog even, demanding your help)

8. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

It does what the item description says it does. ;)

I think the owner's name could be Gurke?

9. Harbourboy

Thank you Ziad for providing the answer I was looking for. So this cloak has absolutely no function unless you're already magically invisible? It doesn't help Coran hide in shadows then?

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It doesn't help him hide, but it keeps him from being detected magically if he's hiding.

I don't recall ever being detected magically in the original BG though, so I'm not sure if the cloak is useful in BG.

It sure is useful in BG2 though.

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

It's pretty useless in BG. No enemy bothers to scry. they just fling acid arrows, magic missiles and lightning bolts if their level is high enough. Davaeorn may be the only exception to this, but as you can sneak in to attack him, he probably wont cast it anyway. I'd give back to gurke

12. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

You get a second one, anyway - from Ordulinian (or however it's spelt) in Sorcerous Sundries on giving him an onyx ring. I think.

13. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    @Harbourboy: You're welcome. And yes, as you said, it only works if you're already invisible or hidden in shadows.
    If you have a mage or a bard in your party, you can have him/her cast the Nondetection (level 3) spell on Coran and forget about the cloak (or return it to Gurke in the Jovial Juggler Inn in Beregost)

14. Heerscher Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

If you give it to Gurke he will say he doesn't want it anymore, so you get to have the item anyway :)

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@Heerscher

That's only if you have a low charisma. below 12 maybe, but im not too sure on what the threshold is. Otherwise he complains and takes it off your hands for some gold iirc.

16. Heerscher Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Huh?

In my last game I gave the cloak back to him and he didn't accept it. I had 18 charisma.

In fact I have never seen Gurke taking my cloak back and I always play with characters with high charisma.

So... now I'm confused :)

17. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

I concur with Heerscher. I played with a paladin, maxed out in Charisma. But Gurke said he was famous, so he let me keep the cloak.

18. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Hmm my bad fellas, must be confusing him with somebody else then... I know there's a character that tells you you can just go ahead and keep the item if you have a low char :/

19. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Maybe that's the halfling in beregost who wants you to find his boots of stealth and steals everytime you initiate dialogue with him.

20. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

may be.. but iirc he just returns the money he stole from you when you first speak to him. that little bugger. i just killed him :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.