1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Am I Evil?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Mathetais, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

My LG Paladin/Cleric has done 2 "off color" actions in the game, and I'm wondering about the consequences.

*Spoilers below*

First (this morning) I gave the Green Dragon the head of the Hill Giant leader, recieved the reward ... and then descided that green dragons are evil and shouldn't be allowed to remain this close to a populated village, so I killed it.

Is that bad? :good:

Secondly, I bribed a juror to vote innocent in the trial. Now, when I speak to the priest of Tyr, he says that the trail did more harm than good, and that people doubt that the barbarian was really innocent.

Does anyone who did the trial without bribary get this message?

2. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Hey Mat. Yup, I got the same message without bribbing any jurors, and there's nothing to be done about it as far as I know.

I don't think getting rid of the green dragon, even after making the deal with it, is evil. You *know* the thing is going to toast the first village it can, so why wait to kill it? I think that's more of a 'lawful' versus 'chaotic' issue than good vs. evil.

As for bribing the jurors, I don't know....from a roleplaying perspective, *if* your character firmly believes that a fair trial will not take place (due to prejudice, bought witnesses, etc), *and* your character believes in the barbarian's innocence, then bribbing the jurors wouldn't be a big ethos problem. Of course, doing it just to win, and for whatever personal gain that might be had, would be evil, or at least not-good :p

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Heh, amazing... I had this moral conflict as well and almost posted a topic about it! In the end, I only killed the dragon to see how hard it'd be, and reloaded and let it live. I couldn't really come up with a good excuse to kill it, especially since their numbers have dwindled due to all the dragon-slaying directed by Klauth.

The only viable excuse I could come up was: "I'm an adventurer. Adventurers kill dragons!"

Somehow it didn't convince me. :shake:

4. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I had the same trouble with the trial doing more harm than good. I put it down to not gaining a more substantial majority vote. I assumed that to completely clear his name, and hence improve local relations, you needed to get a unanimous vote. I didn't achieve that as it looked like you needed to follow the 'this is all about race' argument. I decided to ignore all that line of reasoning in my defence (something strange about a dwarven barbarian with an intelligence just below that of a squirrel conducting the defence) as an irrelevance to the facts. Though maybe that's just an example of UK law versus the Hollywood version.

Anyway, did anyone get a unanimous verdict and 'still' get the 'done more harm than good' message?

PS as to killing the dragon, yep I'd say that was bad especially for a paladin or cleric. After all he hasn't done anything that you are directly aware of so, without evidence or instructions, you're just a vigilante. :nono: Also what about redemption and atoning for past sins. :angel: So to kill him is not good either from a legal or a religious perspective. Next time, make a citizens arrest and bring him in for questioning or build a small church nearby, become a missionery and devote your time to bringing him to the light. Admittedly that doesn't sound like much of a game. :)

[ August 31, 2002, 11:04: Message edited by: Slappy ]

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I got a unanimous verdict, and everyone was extremely happy that there was no doubt as to the barbarian's innocence. I also did not play the race card, and did not put him or his wife on the stand.

[ August 31, 2002, 20:25: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

6. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

BTA...congrats ... you should be a lawyer ... maybe you and Bel should trade jobs.

On this subject did/could any of you kill Klauth???

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I mopped up the floor with Klauth. After I gave him the dead dragon sphere of course.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  9. Sick curtaiN Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] I killed Klauth without using the dragon sphere. Although I had to return to the temple of Tyr a couple of times. ;)

10. Gladiator Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I killed Klauth with the Dead Dragon Sphere, though I still had problems defeating him even when he was Badly Wounded. That's when I first realized that I love the Stone of Recall and Respawning. :D

11. zazu Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I was level 19 archer when I took him out, and I only took me 2 bottles of cure critical wounds. :)

Of course, I used the sphere.

12. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

That's what I get for playing late at night on no sleep ... I totally forgot about the dead dragon orb.

(Wish I could have given that blue dragon a coup de grace though, that would have been cool ;) )

Went back to get it, equiped my Ravenger Flail (don't know if cold damage effects red dragons any more than regular damage, but I needed to use that thing for something!), hired a gnomish sorcerer, and had his head in a just a few moments.

Is it just me, or would an ancient huge red dragon's head be larger than "medium" sized, and weigh more than 0.5 lbs!?!?

:good:

13. Cullain Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

To go back to the original question: I'd have to say that bribing a juror is about as unlawful as you can get, so it'd be very much against a paladin's ethos.

Killing the green dragon? maybe a little sketchy, but you didn't extend any promise of protection to him, so probably not that big a deal.

Cullain

14. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Cullain, yeah, the bribe was very anti-paladin and very un-lawful, so why didn't it change my lawfulness? The action lowered my "goodness".

For the record, I clicked the wrong button, and ended up bribing him.

:good:

15. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

My ethics problem here was killing the newly-hatched blue dragon just to obtain a weapon to use against Klauth. My druid wanted to adopt it, but since there wasn't any food around decided that it would be better to quickly kill it then allow it to starve.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.