1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Playing Evil

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Elvenblade, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I'm currently playing this game with an CN Elf Fighter/Cleric and I'm finding it very challenging to keep my reputation low since most of the major quests and many sidequests give you a bonus to reputation. Even simple things as fetching a book for Firebead in Beregost gives you a +1 to reputation.

So what I want to ask is this:

Which quests has a good and evil solution?

The only one that I can think of is the excavation quest where you can kill the workers and sell the grave's treasure to the "evil" dude outside.

2. benthegoodbum Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm not sure if there are very many...there is the quest where you can help silkie or whatever her name is in Bergost to kill the "feldpost thugs".

3. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    BG wasn't created with Evil as a serious consideration. There are no quests besides those mentione with a dual outcome. The most you can do is ask for a reward. It bites, but that's the way it is. The game was made with Good in mind, and is seriously biased that way. Sorry.

4. Soren Vracian Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Every now and then just kill people you find in the wild, that should help offset the dogooder reputation bonuses.

5. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Then try to balance it out. I am playing a chaotic evil fighter/thief, so I saw no problem with killing Firebeard and looting his corpse. That gave me a negative two to reputation.

6. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

When you get in the gate there are several evil quests: helping the thieves, robbing the great hall of wonders, degrodel can be considered evil and Ramazith's quest ain't for paladins.

7. Heerscher Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

When you rescue the fighter who is turned to stone on the basilsk map, you can demand a reward. She will say she has nothing to give to you but if you press on (read: threaten her), she will give you her home! That's quite an evil outcome.

8. Echon Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Veteran

Let us not forget that BioWare actually allowed us to leave all the slaves behind in the Cloakwood Mines when we flood that place and suffer a -2 reputation penalty.

Working for Silke also results in a -2 penalty I believe.

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

kill the guy that noblewoman wants you to kill and then blackmail her. its in baldur's gate, the 3 ol kegs inn iirc

10. Capt Massacre Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

A lot of idiotic side quests give rep+1, but you don't have to complete them if you want to be evil. Why would you give the mage his book in Beregost? Why would you attempt to save the chicken (do you know you may sell it to Officer Vai?) Why bring the ring to the lady in Friendly Arm? Why save a cow? And so on. This way, you take rep increases only when necessary. Of course, you could miss out some xp...

11. RuneQuester Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Leave a flaming bag of poop on Elminster's doorstep!

Form a party entirely of bards who perform synchronized dance steps while singing trite love songs and call your group "N-Stink"!

12. Heerscher Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

That isn't much of a problem. Some of the biggest quests in BG1 give less experience than killing a couple of monsters.

For example: cleaning out the Sun tradehouse (don't know exactly how it's called anymore :confused: ) for commander Scar gives 2000 experience. You might as well kill two ghasts or two ankheghs for about the same experience, with less effort.

I always wondered why you didn't get more experience for those quests.

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

the xp required to get to the next level would be reached too easily if they did i think. and with such a low xp cap, it wouldnt be very practical

14. Dibbley Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I belive if you have the BG2 and BG1 you could Play so that your the Nice guy in BG1 and When you find the Truth at the end, you can make like savrok and become Very Evil indeed in BG2.......Thats how i have played it in the past.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.