1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tips for a starting adventurer?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Master of Nuhn, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Okay...
    So I recently got this game called Neverwinter Nights and spent some (not too much) time generating my character. Now times of slaughter shall come, and I want your advice. If possible...

Things I like to know:
    1. Easy money...
    2. Quests to start with (as an Archer-like Elven Ranger) Means: Not too difficult.
    3. Nice weaponcombo
    4. Nothing about Henchmen. There are several posts concerning these. :p
    5. Things you found worth for advice

First 2 questions are most important to me ;)
    Thanks

2. Abyssal Knight Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Money is not that important because most of the good stuff is the stuff you find. Just play through the game, do quests and you'll get plenty of cash.

3. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

1. There is no such things as 'Easy' Cash, so don't fool yourself. You should amount a fair deal of gems and trinkets (such as weapons you have no use for) that should net you up with a fair deal of coin.

2. As soon as the prelude is done and you've accepted the main plot assignment, you'll notice a Druid as soon as you exit, this starts a Ranger/Druid class quest.

3. As you're an elf, I hope you picked High Dex with Weapon Finesse feat. Yes? Good! AS you're an elf, take the Rapier and Rapier combo, because you Dual-Wield without severe penalties. Then you could quickly change to Longbow (composite if possible) at the click of a button.
    Don't bother with Short Swords or Daggers because Rapiers are better. Alt. you could choose Longswords, but they would not be applicable with the Weapon Finesse.

4. Nothing

5. (mostly above)

All this is true, I played a ranger for a while too, until i switched to bards! Hope this helps.

-goph

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I have to disagree with Abyssal Knight there. I'm playing a mage and almost every single item that I wear (minus the crossbow and cloak) was bought for a lot of money. It might be easier to equip yourself with stuff you find if you play a fighter, but I have found very little that I used and not sold instead. From my robes, to rings, belt, boots, helmet, cloak etc., they were all bought. I haven't found any of those items anywhere in the game as treasure.

So no, the best items are definitely bought, and for a lot of money.

5. zazu Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

1.Money is really hard to get a chapter one.
    One way, is to restrain from buying a holding bag early in the game, because you can buy a nice one (with 100% weight deduction) at one of the shop in the port.
    2. I'm an archer, elven-ranger too. I found out that you should clear out all the surroundings first, before going to specific quests. I found out that the jail is the easiest, undead second, port third and the hardest is the rich-man area.
    3. End of quest one, when restoring helm, ask for the bow. Before that, one longbow is enough.
    Get 5 quiver of arrows, everytime.
    If you want to kick ass, use normal attack(not rapid-draw) with piercing arrows against bosses. This arrows are on hell of a price. Never use them against undead.

Level 7 ranger, level3 cleric.

6. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Listen to Aribeth (I always get the names wrong). Her suggestions on where to go next (found through the "do you have any ideas where the westavian creatures can be found) will walk you through Ch.1 in the order it was intended to be played. (ie. hardest last).

Talk to everyone with a real name, and you'll uncover quests. Its worth it to spend a few skill points on Persuade, so that you can get non-class specific quests that way. (I found three quests in the whore house).

On the dual weild thing ... I like the rapiers, but use whatever "falls into your hand" in terms of magic items. Weapon finess in Rapier is a great idea, but for your off hand, there are some cool hand axes that might be worthwhile.

Mostly... enjoy; set the difficulty slider all the way to the right (or 1 set from the right depending on your preference), and kill some bad-guys for me!

7. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I agree with Tal in that the best items are either bought, or built using the blacksmiths. Even so, I still have more than 80,000 gold in the middle of Chapter Three. I never found money to be a problem.

Explore every area you find. Use the tab key a lot of highlight treasure. Never give up.

About the bag of holding: I never bought one, and I have four or five in my inventory that I found.

8. Abyssal Knight Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I guess money depends on which class you play then because for my Ranger/Rouge I didn't need anything, but if you're a different class you might need to buy more things.

9. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, thanks for everything so far!
    If there's something else, please post...

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wow, you only have 80,000 gold in the middle of chapter 3? I probably had several hundred thousand gold by that time.

I ended the game with somewhere in the neighborhood of 950,000, and I hardly opened any of the chests in chapter 4 because Tomi's 14th level proficiency wasn't up to the task of most of the traps.

And yeah, I bought many of the items I used, but I found quite a few great items as well. Lemme see if I can remember...

Bought:
    Greater Swordsman's Belt
    Greater Brawler's Belt
    Greater Amulet of Health (Plus all the lesser versions as I could afford them)
    Gladiator Longsword
    Fey Duster +1 and +2
    Shadowlegion Armor

Found:
    Taralash Longbow
    Off Handaxe
    Greater Archer's Belt (I also found the Lesser one)
    The shortsword that provided Haste while equipped
    Bracers of Dexterity +5
    Ring of Protection +5
    Cloak of Protection vs. Evil +5
    Golden Circlet
    Greenleaf (The green armor slightly better than the Shadowlegion)
    Dragon Slippers
    Boots of Speed

11. zazu Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I need to know something:

I'm a archer now, and I discovered that piercing arrows give an extra attack bonus or something like that because the arrows are very accurate compared to normal ones. Is that true?
    (Because in baldur's gate, piercing arrows has a +4 hit modifier)

And then when I used rapid-draw, the attack rolls seemed to become back to normal,(more like a waste of this precious arrows). This is what I feel, I wonder anyone else out there feels like this or not.

And then what are your comments on the other arrows? I'm thinking of wasting all my collected money in buying lethal arrows.

And poison arrows: If I shoot more than one arrow at an opponent, will the effect be cumulative?

Is called shots usefull? (And the skill after that?)

12. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    Hehe! Yeah, lot of things I would like to know too.

If you mean Rapid Shot-Feat: You gain an extra attack per round, though all shots in that round suffer a -2 penalty...

An other thing (2 even):
    What does the Maximum Dexterity Bonus of armor do?
    And what is an Armor check penalty?

2 things that may seem very simple to you, but I'm afraid I mix things up... ;)

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Your Dexterity modifier is applied as a bonus to your AC. The Maximum Dexterity Bonus indicates the largest bonus you can use while wearing that armor.

The Armor Check Penalty are penalties applied to Skill Check rolls while wearing the armor. An example would be Moving Silently checks.

14. Fentan Knight Gems: 1/31

Another newbie question...

I'm sitting around, waiting for my new computer with it's none-Voodoo graphics card to arrive. In the meantime, I'm planning my character. How are your skill points affected at first level? The manual's not entirely clear on what is * 4. Is it the intelligence modifier, or the skill points as a whole? Does this mean rogues can start with 30+ skill points?

And hi everybody.

15. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    It is both the base number of skill points for the class and the Intelligence modifier that are multiplied by 4 (in other words, the skill points as a whole).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.